Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when Sgt Pepper's came out. There was plenty of stereo gear around. What there wasn't a whole lot of is true high fidelity gear. I remember we had this portable stereo unit that had the speakers built in, and the turntable tilted down from a stowed position when you were ready to use it. It was made by RCA and the amplifier was built into the turntable chassis. It was actual stereo, though you couldn't tell because the speakers were only about a yard apart. I didn't realize that it actually separated two channels until I installed a headphone jack on it, and noticed the stereo effect for the first time when I listened on stereo phones. I was untrained in electronics at the time and was either unaware of vector modulation, or didn't think it really worked well. Many stereo units were made this way at that time. Of course, vector modulation plays a very important role in CD-4 recordings.

You must remember there was no stereo then. It was but only in movies! everyone had mono record players, and AM radio was the thing. One mono speaker. It was not until a few years later stereo became available to us. The old man worked at GE where I live years ago they made radios here, and he brought home a GE stereo, with FM! There was no FM radio then. I can remember going thru the FM dial and nothing came back. This music I first heard in Mono. I loved the shit out of it! Did not know better! So, to say the mono version 'sucks" is a wrong statement, it should be the mono version is not close to the 5.1 version. That was made from mono master.
If you look you will see the absolute inferior recording equipment they had then. So, although I have not had the chance to hear it yet, I will never forget the day my friend played it for me the very 1st time. I was 16 and this music was new! It was different, this was not the Beatles I knew. The very reason I am so passionate over this album.

OK guys, I'm trying to order and not having much luck. Where's the best place to order from for the Sgt Pepper's anniversary 6 disc edition? (not the Japanese version) Where's the best price? The only place I found was Best Buy, and they don't have a lot of detail. But I figure if it prices $100+ it has to be the right one. And by the way, does the DVD have the 5.1 or is it just the blu ray?

The Quadfather

Never mind, I just ordered it from Best Buy.

OK guys, I'm trying to order and not having much luck. Where's the best place to order from for the Sgt Pepper's anniversary 6 disc edition? (not the Japanese version) Where's the best price? The only place I found was Best Buy, and they don't have a lot of detail. But I figure if it prices $100+ it has to be the right one. And by the way, does the DVD have the 5.1 or is it just the blu ray?

The Quadfather

BullMoose is 119.00 free shipping and is packaged well, Amazon is up to 149.00 not sure if packaging quality but should be adequate.

The Quadfather

Never mind, I just ordered it from Best Buy.
Both the DVD and the BR have the 5.1. I have read that the BR is 96/24 and the DVD is 48/24 but they sound identical to my tired old ears.

Both the DVD and the BR have the 5.1. I have read that the BR is 96/24 and the DVD is 48/24 but they sound identical to my tired old ears.

I just checked the DVD of Pepper and it's DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1 with LPCM Stereo as an option. No LOSSLESS codecs on the DVD 5.1 options.

I was looking at this when Amazon had it for pre-order at $115, now it's up to $150! A lot of money for a lossy 5.1 mix. If the mix is great it might be worth it, but if it's not so great I'd end up just playing the high rez stereo through a decoder to get decent surround! I'm still considering the purchase of Santana Lotus as well, another expensive item. I'm really craving a new release from Audio Fidelity right now.

I was looking at this when Amazon had it for pre-order at $115, now it's up to $150! A lot of money for a lossy 5.1 mix. If the mix is great it might be worth it, but if it's not so great I'd end up just playing the high rez stereo through a decoder to get decent surround! I'm still considering the purchase of Santana Lotus as well, another expensive item. I'm really craving a new release from Audio Fidelity right now.

A blu-ray disc with a lossless 5.1 mix comes with the boxset.

I have over 20 Pepper's from all over the world.

My most unique ones are from Venezuela.

The photo in the back is mirrored, and the inner spread has a different cropping, different from all others (from 16 countries or so).

InnerSpread.jpg

MirroredBack.jpg

Even though the above, Pepper's is not my favorite album and the Beatles is not the group I choose to call my favorite (Led Zeppelin II and the Kinks respectively).

Looks like two stereo discs from Audio Fidelity are the only on the way.
https://audiofidelity.net/products

Proof of this insanity is that someone over there quoted my post about liking the surround mix by telling me he hated the surround mix because he could not stand the "crowd noise" in the rears. "Crowd noise"????

That was me. What I actually said was:

"Just played the surround disc and feel the opposite. I'll just take this one in mono. I don't need the crowd noise in the rears. Like the stereo remix, it gets better as the album goes on. I guess there is more to work with in the four original channels. Love the music and the packaging is nice. The mix is limited and to my ears the fidelity suffers in surround. I'll give it a 6 based on the criteria above."

That's still my opinion. I have scores of quad and surround mixes and the ambient noise in the rears are not my preferred mixes. I like an aggressive surround mix. That's my taste. I don't need you attacking me saying that I haven't played the album in surround or do not own a surround system, because you disagree with me. WTF is up with that?

You keep maintaining that there is no crowd noise in the rears during the transition from "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "With A Little Help From My Friends." I've listened to the DVD-A and Blu-Ray in DTS Master, DTS, Dolby Digital and Stereo through NEO processing and the only time there is little or no crowd noise in the rears is when I'm adding the NEO processing to the stereo.

Is anyone else not hearing the crowd noise in the rear channels in the transition from "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "With A Little Help From My Friends" when listening to the discrete 5.1 mix?

Yep, two seconds of crowd noise totally ruins the entire surround sound mix.:mad:@:

Your last post here was 10 years ago. One heck of a surround sound expert.

Last edited:
Back