Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really happy, my Japanese SHM CD edition with diorama arrived today. I can't even open it till later, need to look at it unopened for awhile, feels like 50 years ago. I didn't know that the front is hologram, is that all editions or just Japanese ?

Yep, two seconds of crowd noise totally ruins the entire surround sound mix.:mad:@:

Your last post here was 10 years ago. One heck of a surround sound expert.
:chill

Again, it's my opinion. Why slander me for having it?

I've never claimed to be an expert on surround, but since when does posting frequency on an online forum make one an expert on something?

Hey everybody, It's cool. Let's all get along, eh?

Here is the rear channels only of the transition from Sgt Pepper to With a Little Help from My Friends. I guess technically, the crowd noise in the rears is at the end of the first track, but it flows together, so you decide.

It's really not worth getting into a Dizzy Miss Lizzy Tizzy over, K?

(Turn it up as I did not boost the levels. This is from the BluRay)

View attachment Backs.mp3

I've always loved the music (its hard to believe it was 50 years ago we got it!) but not the stereo mix, I've always found it 'overbearing'. I've never owned the vinyl mono or stereo. Considering this was all 'extracted' from a 4 channel tape I'm impressed, so I like the new mix its opened up the album for me, spread it around, a fresh view on an old friend. The 5.1 version is the one I'll be listening to many times. (y)

Edit: I'll post my poll view once I've listened a few more times.

Curious for those of you who are raising the volume on the rears or lowering the volume on the L\C\R.
What are you using to set the reference levels of the speakers in the first place?

Amazon [US] is back to $117

with free one-day shipping with Prime

woo-hoo, my arrives tomorrow

My question is what's the difference between this and the Japan set? Is the more expensive Japan set worth the price difference?

Curious for those of you who are raising the volume on the rears or lowering the volume on the L\C\R.
What are you using to set the reference levels of the speakers in the first place?

There is an entire thread on this subject. What are your concerns and how do you set your levels?

I'm well-versed in setting reference levels, I'm curious how others here who boosting or lowering theirs for Sgt Pepper set them in the first place.
SPL meter, room correction software, whatever sounds good, etc.

with free one-day shipping with Prime

woo-hoo, my arrives tomorrow

My question is what's the difference between this and the Japan set? Is the more expensive Japan set worth the price difference?

The Japanese set has SHM~CDs, a diorama and includes a poster not included in the US boxset.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-78342

BTW, the 'external' poster is NO longer included with the Japanese boxset.

I'm well-versed in setting reference levels, I'm curious how others here who boosting or lowering theirs for Sgt Pepper set them in the first place.

I looked through my subscribed threads list and can't seem to find the interesting thread on how the members here set their levels. I use reference 5.1 recordings and homemade 5.1 mono mixes (basically party mode) from reference mono mixes/recordings. I have no problem giving a boost to rears. Full range rears and no bass management handles that much better than small rears and a sub in the front.

Now I'm in! Truthfully, this almost feels like hearing it for the first time. Already glad I got this. Surround is mixed bag so far, need to soak in (bask) this extended fidelity... love the animated menu graphic too.
2630f8f0464881c81f1a38f49ba36e7d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a thread I started a while back called "how do you calibrate your surround field" that has lots of examples of how various members do it (Unfortunately I don't know how to create a link to it!)

I'm really happy, my Japanese SHM CD edition with diorama arrived today. I can't even open it till later, need to look at it unopened for awhile, feels like 50 years ago. I didn't know that the front is hologram, is that all editions or just Japanese ?

The domestic edition also has the slip case hologram cover, as well.

There's a thread I started a while back called "how do you calibrate your surround field" that has lots of examples of how various members do it (Unfortunately I don't know how to create a link to it!)

Just put the following phrase in google: site:http://www.quadraphonicquad.com how do you calibrate your surround field

You beat me to it.

I am relaxed, not working, Bud and Jack and I am going to enjoy the heck out of this. After receiving my Japanese edition and looking at all the parts and pieces, touching and reading, I am now ready to listen. I am starting at Disc 1 and going to continue in order, taking pen and paper notes for my critical listen and share my thoughts when poll opens. For the SHM CD's I am analog (coax, not optical) out, into my external DAC. Listening at a good 64db, (I'm not 64 yet). This is a lovely experience that makes me feel real good. I'll check back in at Disc 2.

CD ONE, was fantastic. Heard a few things, nuances, not heard before, but also heard some things that I wanted to hear a little louder, lacked a smidge of punch on little things. But, most importantly I had a smile on my face. If my original LP sounded this good on the rig I have now, the neighbors would be lined up around the block.

Back