HiRez Poll Simon, Paul - YOU'RE THE ONE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Paul Simon - YOU'RE THE ONE

• Total voters
Center and surround channels have very low levels. Using Garry's fantastic music media helper I put gain on these (individually done for each of the tracks). Now I like this album. Gave it a 5, because the surround mix could have been done better for my opinion. Sound is excellent anyway. And Steve Gadd's drumming is fantastic.

The first three tracks are mainly in the Left, Right, & Center channels with almost equal vocal levels all the way across. By the fourth cut and onward there is a lot going on in the L,R surrounds as well, with quite a bit of isolated percussion. The mix is discrete but anchored (no swirling or ping-pong effects.)

In terms of lyric and melody, I think this is one of his most engaging efforts: Darling Lorraine encapsulates the arc of a marriage with its ups and downs from first meeting to death; Hurricane Eye with its delightful Caribbean rhythm mixes fables with pointed social criticism; Love is a spooky minor key ode to its subject; and the last cut, Quiet, plays like a subdued fanfare, a lament on the passage of time and final endings.

The multi-channel mix also sports excellent audio, clear and dynamic throughout. A solid 9 from me.

The first three tracks are mainly in the Left, Right, & Center channels with almost equal vocal levels all the way across. By the fourth cut and onward there is a lot going on in the L,R surrounds as well, with quite a bit of isolated percussion. The mix is discrete but anchored (no swirling or ping-pong effects.)

In terms of lyric and melody, I think this is one of his most engaging efforts: Darling Lorraine encapsulates the arc of a marriage with its ups and downs from first meeting to death; Hurricane Eye with its delightful Caribbean rhythm mixes fables with pointed social criticism; Love is a spooky minor key ode to its subject; and the last cut, Quiet, plays like a subdued fanfare, a lament on the passage of time and final endings.

The multi-channel mix also sports excellent audio, clear and dynamic throughout. A solid 9 from me.

i definitely need to give this another listen! đź‘Ť

30% SURROUND MIX - 7 - it's ok at best. Using the ATMOS upmixer and turning up the surrounds 1db helped.
30% AUDIO FIDELITY - 9 - nothing wrong here
30% CONTENT - 7 - not Mr. Simons best
10% OVERALL PACKAGE - 7 -Pretty sparse for a DVDA. No lyrics, no video, no pictures, and so on.

That rounds to a 7 and I should dock Paul another point for not embracing surround and releasing more of his catalog in surround, but I won't.

Last edited:
Back