SIRIUS Satellite Radio and Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Has anyone gotten Sirius and listened to any DPLII Broadcasts of SACDs or DVD-A's?

I found this press release over at dbstalk.com:

New Feature Won't Require Any Additional Hardware for Consumers

LAS VEGAS and NEW YORK, Jan. 7 -- CES -- SIRIUS Satellite Radio, known for delivering the very best in commercial-free music and premium sports programming to cars and homes across the country, today demonstrated the first surround sound capabilities for satellite radio with a matrix surround signal over one of SIRIUS' music streams.

SIRIUS has chosen to adopt the Dolby Pro Logic II as the standard for encoding. The surround sound feature is compatible with virtually all surround sound audio systems already on the market for both the home and the car, including such names as Logic 7(TM), Circle Surround(TM), Dolby Pro Logic I & II(TM), DTS(TM) and more.

SIRIUS chose Dolby Pro Logic II because it utilizes very small numbers of bits to provide a higher-degree of channel separation. More importantly, it allows SIRIUS surround sound broadcasts to be backwards compatible with more than 100 million existing home A/V receivers, as well as surround sound systems in most automobiles. Dolby is expected to work with SIRIUS to optimize the encoding system for Dolby surround sound.

"SIRIUS subscribers have asked for multi-channel surround sound and we are thrilled to be the first satellite radio provider to offer this capability," said Larry Pesce, Senior Vice President Product Development and Strategic Planning, SIRIUS. "As a premium service, we will continue to introduce capabilities and services that enrich the SIRIUS entertainment experience, at no additional cost to our subscribers."

As most content on today's CDS was not recorded in multi-channel format, SIRIUS has begun updating its library to include multi-channel DVD Audio discs and SACD discs. The first multi-channel recordings and broadcasts will be of SIRIUS Sessions, SIRIUS' daily live concert series. SIRIUS will broadcast surround sound across all streams where multi-channel can be enjoyed, beginning with the CES 2004 demonstration.

Big brother of SIRIUS, Dish Network, offers many of Sirius's streams on there satellite TV lineup. I imagine this will apply there??

Spence

The press release states that DPL2 is compatible with DTS. I don't get it. DTS isn't matrix and DPL2 is, right? Or am I just a confused newbie?

Back