Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So - I've acquired a Sony 4100. But I'm getting a problem after this step

Place SACD disc in the tray and power off.

After I turn the player off, and the SACD disappears inside, I can't then ping the IP address. It's like the player is actually off, rather than it being asleep. I'm sure I'm missing a step. Any thoughts beyond "be methodical?"

Hi Sixtyten, you have exactly the same Sony player as me, which I only use for SACD ripping. I presume you have followed chapter and verse all the relevant info at the start of this thread.
The part that catches a few people out is setting up the USB stick in the correct manner. I was the same. Can you confirm everything is a okay with it.

And then it really is going through every step to make sure you have everything set up ready to rip. How are your units connected via Ethernet?
Are they both running directly off the router? That being the PC/ Laptop and the Sony player. I know others have used a different connecting method, I can only comment on what worked for me.

Progress - got SACDExtract to get a ping back from the player, but I'm getting the libsacdread: Can't open ip address warning. Reset the player with no success. Reinstalled the script (and the extractor), footered with the cables, muttered incantations and did some swearing, all to no avail. Any suggestions?

Progress - got SACDExtract to get a ping back from the player, but I'm getting the libsacdread: Can't open ip address warning. Reset the player with no success. Reinstalled the script (and the extractor), footered with the cables, muttered incantations and did some swearing, all to no avail. Any suggestions?
Humm..how are the machines connected to the router..direct or via other means?
Also has the SACD GUI Extract got exactly the same IP address as the Sony Player shows, normally you have to change this to ensure compatibility.
It is very frustrating at first to get everything right..you are experiencing all the early difficulties I had..try not to despair.. it will work in the end.

Last edited:
Via a router. IP address is 192.168.0.24 on the SACD extractor its 192.168.0.24:0202 I get a ping back okay - when I start to run it I get host unreachable. Checked my firewall nothing obviously or immediately wrong so I think I'll change the IP address on the player to something else and see if that makes any difference,

Step 1: Power on Sony S4100

Step 2: Connect USB thumb drive/AutoScript runs/tray opens automatically/place SACD in tray but don't close

Step 3: Power down Sony S4100/tray closes automatically/player sleeps/AutoScript gains root access control

Step 4: Pause while S4100 display flashes OFF/remove USB thumb drive/Execute rip with one click while Sony S4100 sleeps

Via a router. IP address is 192.168.0.24 on the SACD extractor its 192.168.0.24:0202 I get a ping back okay - when I start to run it I get host unreachable. Checked my firewall nothing obviously or immediately wrong so I think I'll change the IP address on the player to something else and see if that makes any difference,

I presume you are carrying out the above procedure in getting the S4100 ready to rip?

The only part of the IP address I've needed to change is the 4th one, this needs to match the Sony's details.

Sorry to give info that you have may already covered ..tricky to appreciate what you have already done and to visualise how things are not connecting as they should.

It might be worth having a look through this sites thread
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/

Last edited:
So this is what I'm getting

When you say "Pause while S4100 display flashes OFF " do I need to press the pause button on the remote once, or hold it down before I remove the thumb drive which contains as below

Attachments

• 2019-05-18_1734.png
    2019-05-18_1734.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 2019-05-18_1737.png
    2019-05-18_1737.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 141

When you say "Pause while S4100 display flashes OFF " do I need to press the pause button on the remote once, or hold it down before I remove the thumb drive which contains as below

Sorry for the delay had to water my allotment and check out the various plants health..okay I'm here now for the next couple of hours.

I see you are using the ISO rip ..I've never tried that.
If you go back to the Start of the thread I use DSF and multichannel only.
The pause is just a term to mean wait a bit before the next actions.

Is your Autoscript command in its own folder?

Basically if you follow what I did at the start of this thread you should be good to go.
It really is a boring case of being methodical and slowly going through each part of the procedure to ensure its all there.
I'm sure you are almost at the success stage.

Sorry for the delay had to water my allotment and check out the various plants health..okay I'm here now for the next couple of hours.

Basically if you follow what I did at the start of this thread you should be good to go.

Howdy, from his first screen shot the ping isn't finding anything, so maybe go back and make sure the addresses match? Also, if your model has a power saver mode it should be set to off (or turned on Quick-start) somewhere in the player's settings.

It really is a boring case of being methodical and slowly going through each part of the procedure to ensure its all there.
I'm sure you are almost at the success stage.

Here's a screen shot of my USB drive with the script.
(buda) folder must be something the Sony created.

So a further update. Reset the bluray to factory settings, then changed the options as above. Used a fresh USB stick and unzipped a new download of the Extracter. Rebooted the PC, power cycled the blu-ray player and attached it using a different network cable. Followed the steps to the letter, using a different SACD and the same warning appeared.

I'm pretty obstinate when it comes to stuff like this, I'll keep trying until works. In this instance however, I think I'm beat.

So a further update. Reset the bluray to factory settings, then changed the options as above. Used a fresh USB stick and unzipped a new download of the Extracter. Rebooted the PC, power cycled the blu-ray player and attached it using a different network cable. Followed the steps to the letter, using a different SACD and the same warning appeared.

I'm pretty obstinate when it comes to stuff like this, I'll keep trying until works. In this instance however, I think I'm beat.
Sometimes you just need to take a step back, and take a break from this sort of thing. I would highly recommend you take some time and do a detailed study of the hifihaven.org thread beerking mentioned in post #127. It is much more detailed and extensive than this thread. Both myself and beerking had to initially spend much time over there and PM Mikeyfresh several times to clear things up. We will work this problem with you until we’re totally clueless if need be. Sincerely, your QQ mutt compadre - J. Pupster🧐

Hi, been reading your problems, so I just joined to go through the method I use as I have the S4100 as well.

!. Plug USB drive into S4100.
2. Turn it on. The drawer will open.
3. Insert SACD and close drawer. I don't turn it off.
4. The important step - Go to Music Settings and change it to either Multi or 2-channel playback doesn't matter which as long as you change it. I've found when I don't do this I get the host unreachable message.
5. Start iso2dsd program and execute it.

Hope that helps.

Then if you want to rip another:-
1 Eject disc and insert the next one
2. In the Music Settings change the Multi / 2-channel setting again. Otherwise you will get the host unreachable message.
3. Click on Execute in the iso2dsd program.

Then if you want to rip another:-
1 Eject disc and insert the next one
2. In the Music Settings change the Multi / 2-channel setting again. Otherwise you will get the host unreachable message.
3. Click on Execute in the iso2dsd program.
And Hi to Peer Gynt
Great that you have joined and added your advice.
Hope to see you around some more.

Back