Steve Hackett back catalog in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Under the DVDs for "Please Don't Touch" and "Spectral Mornings", it says "96 kHz/24 bit Stereo Mix", but it doesn't specify whether it's Steven Wilson's new stereo mix, the original mix, or both.

Hmm... Has Paul Sinclair mentioned yet whether these are DVD-Audio or DVD-Video discs please, RT?

Hmm... Has Paul Sinclair mentioned yet whether these are DVD-Audio or DVD-Video discs please, RT?

No he hasn't, Adam. I know you're just about as impatient as I am to find out about these discs, but I promise I'll keep searching for the answer, and when I have it, it's going on here ASAP.

No he hasn't, Adam. I know you're just about as impatient as I am to find out about these discs, but I promise I'll keep searching for the answer, and when I have it, it's going on here ASAP.

I am getting a little bored of it now RT, gotta say.. for £87 quids worth of discs that conceivably could be sent out next week, the lack of any info is.. tedious to say the least.

Why do WE constantly have to take these (for want of another expression..) leaps of faith with all these pre-ordered surround products from the major labels?

One little bit of information I glossed over the first time around when reading the back of the box is that the previously unreleased bonus track "Seven of Cups" was mixed by Steven Wilson at the beginning of this year.
Wonder why it also wasn't mixed in surround and included on the "Please Don't Touch" DVD?

Hey guys, I just got some info. regarding the Premonitions DVDs. Steve's website responded to my question from a few days ago, like this:

Hi Peter,

The audio is DTS 96 kHz / 24-bit - It does state this on the box itself.

It's not DVD-A.

Best wishes,
Team Hackett

Well, I had looked at the photo that Ryan posted and I didn't see any information about it. Maybe I missed it, somehow. Whatever the case, my own feeling is that the most important thing is how well the musical content has been prepared for this release. Knowing how Steven Wilson does things, and using the Tull releases as a precedent, I'm not worried about it. I have the boxed set on the way, and I'll be happy to have it - and I'll get any blu-ray releases that come out, if indeed that's what they're going to be, next year.

Hey guys, I just got some info. regarding the Premonitions DVDs. Steve's website responded to my question from a few days ago, like this:

Hi Peter,

The audio is DTS 96 kHz / 24-bit - It does state this on the box itself.

It's not DVD-A.

Best wishes,
Team Hackett

Well, I had looked at the photo that Ryan posted and I didn't see any information about it. Maybe I missed it, somehow. Whatever the case, my own feeling is that the most important thing is how well the musical content has been prepared for this release. Knowing how Steven Wilson does things, and using the Tull releases as a precedent, I'm not worried about it. I have the boxed set on the way, and I'll be happy to have it - and I'll get any blu-ray releases that come out, if indeed that's what they're going to be, next year.

Thanks, leahypc.
This is a big disappointment if true, and before somebody says it, no, I'm not about to rail against DTS 96/24. It is very good, so that's not really where my issue is.
My issue is that it's lossy 5.1 audio, combined with the facts that only 2 out of the 4 albums in surround are discrete mixes (with the other two being upmixes) and that it's all only currently available in a very expensive box.
This, for me, is becoming less and less of a quality product when compared against the Panegyric releases like "THRAK", "Oranges & Lemons", and "Fragile" where no expense was spared. Heck even the Jethro Tull releases are also in a similar league despite the lossy 5.1 audio.
I don't want to say that Universal have completely given up on DVD-A (again) because I simply don't believe that's the case given that the upcoming "Once Upon a Time" reissue will be a DVD-A/V disc from them, but clearly they are dropping the ball yet again during this year of lackluster surround releases from them.
I'm now going to be searching for the cheapest price I can find for this set, cause anything above the lowest price will be wasted money as far as I'm concerned.

That the multitracks are missing for Voyage and hence no 5.1 remix isn't anyone's fault. Sucks for me that that's what I'd be most interested in!

I probably only like maybe 2 or 3 songs from the rest of his albums as much as I like Genesis. But that's enough that I'd be in with this set. But it needs to have the actual flat transfer original stereo mixes for all the albums in 24/96. If they're not included then flat out no - that makes this only the cheap portable quality version of the release.

The only reason to hold back a full quality release and only release in CD form is when the plan is to release a more deluxe version later on for more sales. Of course that doesn't always follow through and we often get only lower quality releases for some things. Sucks when that happens... What to do? Be stubborn and miss out on something that's still better than not hearing it at all? Too many people just buy the cheap releases anyway so the vote with your wallet thing isn't working to make this stop.

I'd accept dts 24/96 for the original stereo mixes too. It's less lossy than dithering to 16 bit or the generation loss from the production master tape and the vinyl cutting.

Thanks, leahypc.
This is a big disappointment if true, and before somebody says it, no, I'm not about to rail against DTS 96/24. It is very good, so that's not really where my issue is.
My issue is that it's lossy 5.1 audio, combined with the facts that only 2 out of the 4 albums in surround are discrete mixes (with the other two being upmixes) and that it's all only currently available in a very expensive box.
This, for me, is becoming less and less of a quality product when compared against the Panegyric releases like "THRAK", "Oranges & Lemons", and "Fragile" where no expense was spared. Heck even the Jethro Tull releases are also in a similar league despite the lossy 5.1 audio.
I don't want to say that Universal have completely given up on DVD-A (again) because I simply don't believe that's the case given that the upcoming "Once Upon a Time" reissue will be a DVD-A/V disc from them, but clearly they are dropping the ball yet again during this year of lackluster surround releases from them.
I'm now going to be searching for the cheapest price I can find for this set, cause anything above the lowest price will be wasted money as far as I'm concerned.

Even with the Tears For Fears box, they at least included the DVD-Audio logo on the back of the package. Although on the sticker attached to it, they mention "5 CDs" (wrong), and they mention the DVD-V, "Scenes From The Big Chair" but no mention of the DVD-A or the surround mix, so you can interpret that however you like. To me, it almost seems like they're deliberately de-emphasizing the surround audio in the package, like they don't want people to get too accustomed to getting it. On the back of the Hackett box, I don't see any DVD symbols at all. As far as your saying "if true" in your message, I think the only possibility would be if the person responding to me is wrong in their response. Microscopic chance, I suppose.

Even with the Tears For Fears box, they at least included the DVD-Audio logo on the back of the package. Although on the sticker attached to it, they mention "5 CDs" (wrong), and they mention the DVD-V, "Scenes From The Big Chair" but no mention of the DVD-A or the surround mix, so you can interpret that however you like. To me, it almost seems like they're deliberately de-emphasizing the surround audio in the package, like they don't want people to get too accustomed to getting it. On the back of the Hackett box, I don't see any DVD symbols at all. As far as your saying "if true" in your message, I think the only possibility would be if the person responding to me is wrong in their response. Microscopic chance, I suppose.

Yes, you are right that it's never official until it's released or a trusted source can verify what is and what isn't, and unfortunately so far with this Steve Hackett release, we haven't had any of the latter, so members are free to take that as they wish.

Yes, you are right that it's never official until it's released or a trusted source can verify what is and what isn't, and unfortunately so far with this Steve Hackett release, we haven't had any of the latter, so members are free to take that as they wish.

The whole thing has had such a secretive appearance to it - more than any other big release that I can remember. I asked Burning Shed last week, and Lisa replied:

Hi Peter,

We’ve asked for more info on this but none has been forthcoming!

Maybe it’s best if you wait until we’ve got copies in our hands and can actually see what’s included?

Thanks,

Lisa

That the multitracks are missing for Voyage and hence no 5.1 remix isn't anyone's fault. Sucks for me that that's what I'd be most interested in!

I probably only like maybe 2 or 3 songs from the rest of his albums as much as I like Genesis.

What to do? Be stubborn and miss out on something that's still better than not hearing it at all? Too many people just buy the cheap releases anyway so the vote with your wallet thing isn't working to make this stop.

Hi jimfisheye, :)

You make excellent points. I agree totally.

When I bought Steve's LPs back in the day, I couldn't help comparing and I found that I didn't enjoy his stuff as much as a Genesis record. But over the years, Please Don't Touch & Spectral mornings have become essential prog to me. To get those in discrete 5.1 is something I never even dreamed would be available.

SH is a bit of a niche artist and nobody outside of progressive music knows who this guy is, so any kind of surround release is a wonderful and certainly unexpected gift. I say, no way we see further single SH releases. The record company will flatly not consider it due to such a small target market. So its the box or the center of a doughnut, IMHO

The box set came out WAY too much $$$ for me but I finally found it for 104.00 USD delivered!

I am coughing up the $$$ for Please Don't Touch & Spectral Mornings. Courtesy a $20.00 off coupon and shipping is free.

http://www.grooves.land/steve-hacke...-universal-cd-dvd-video-pZZa1-2097187248.html

Like you, I do hope we get flat transfers of the original second gen 2.0 tapes. But I doubt it for two reasons:

It would have been announced already since that is an excellent marketing tool which is now almost always used in such projects.
Since the multi-channel masters were missing for most except for PDT & SM it is logical to assume that many other tapes might be AWOL as well, eliminating a chance for a flat transfer.

Either way:

I am thrilled beyond compare that Please Don't Touch & Spectral Mornings are in discrete 5.1 by Good Sir Steven Wilson. I'm paying a lot for 2 recordings in surround no doubt, but nothing in surround is exactly cheap. And the Voyage upmix should have good strong signal on all 5 channels making it a very nice listening experience. :smokin

Last edited:
The whole thing has had such a secretive appearance to it - more than any other big release that I can remember. I asked Burning Shed last week, and Lisa replied:

Hi Peter,

We’ve asked for more info on this but none has been forthcoming!

Maybe it’s best if you wait until we’ve got copies in our hands and can actually see what’s included?

Thanks,

Lisa

This doesn't surprise me at all since this is a Universal release. Their pre-release info most of the time is shoddy, so it's anyone's guess until release what is and what isn't, and then sometimes even when it's released, there are still mixed signals being sent! (The example would be the "Sparkle in the Rain" releases)

View attachment 22185

Actually.... I did it twice! :smokin ;) (y)

$20.00 USD Coupon code: 6KMP56

I used the $20 off to pay $104 USD - Delivered - for The Hackett Box... and

My daughter used the $20 off to pay $120 USD for Aqualung Deluxe w/BluRay 5.1. Still more than I wanted to pay but I've not seen it cheaper in a long while.

Thanks for the great tip RvD!!! That store ships free worldwide(orders over $23.00 USD) free.(y)

You did great, as far as the Aqualung box set goes.
I paid $165.00 Canadian plus extra $20.00 tax, but would probably do it again, considering what you get.

Quad mix of album,5.1 mix of original (superior previously missing takes with best guitar solos unlike quad version), bonus 5.1 tracksand of course all this surround material on two video discs ........both separate blu-ray disc and separate DVD versions.

You will be pleased with that purchase price I figure.

Under the DVDs for "Please Don't Touch" and "Spectral Mornings", it says "96 kHz/24 bit Stereo Mix", but it doesn't specify whether it's Steven Wilson's new stereo mix, the original mix, or both.

Hey rt, :) Do you actually have the box set?

One thing we do know is that SM & PDT were remixed from the orig. multi-track. AND SW did a new 2.0 remix in 96/24. So the 96/24 refers to the 2 new SW 2.0 remixes, I'd imagine.

All I have is a guess, but the distinct lack of specifics does not bode well for flat transfers of the other original 2.0 tapes at all. :howl

Cmdr. Data would state that right now there is only a 2% chance we get flat transfers from original gen 2.0 analog tapes. Frankly that would have taken a hell of a lotta more work. Getting the tapes.cleaning them up, doing the transfers, any last minute eq if the tape was a bit flat sounding, if at all the tapes were in good enough shape to not need any eq!, etc...

Not to make light of what SW or Jakko do with remixing, but receiving 5.1 music files on a hard drive and mixing them in pro tools or whatever is infinitely less complex than coming up with a clean flat transfer from a 40 year old analog tape. The tape transfer process is a whole separate department and requires a shitload of $$$ and time. I doubt a Steve Hackett project would warrent that kind or resources. I HOPE I am dead wrong.
Again: ...the distinct lack of specifics does not bode well....

In general: These flat transfers from the original tapes are AWESOME in that they put to rest all the arguing over LP pressings or searching for the "best" CD reissue. Finally it offers a definitive source... I don't trust any of my CDs any more, except the recent ones were it is expressly proclaimed about the provenance of the source of the music.

Can anyone please answer this simple question.. Is this a Limited Edition box set or not?

Not many answers about this one, mate. :(

I suspect its whatever the label had lying around except of course for the new discrete 5.1 & 2.0 mixes of PDT & SM which we know the original multis were available.

You did great, as far as the Aqualung box set goes.
I paid $165.00 Canadian plus extra $20.00 tax, but would probably do it again, considering what you get.

You are very kind to say Good Sir fizzywiggs, :)

But if my wife found out I spent even what I spent on one recording...well.. does the name Lorena Bobbitt ring any bells?

I'm not single, rich & handsome like FredBlue or old & retired and rich like many QQers, so I try to squeeze my dollar to ridiculous levels of thrift.
About Aqualung: I'm still beating myself up over passing on it when a kind QQer, (was it Clint Eastwood?) posted a GREAT price, last year for 80 something dollars. A store was obviously clearing inventory...

Plus, I've bought these recordings over the decades many times over - LP(several times), 8-Track, CDs(many issues), CD Box Sets...

I do think a good legal case could be presented that I've bought the rights MANY times over and they should just give me these new remixes. I will of course be glad to pay the $.16 for the plastic disc and paper sleeve. ;)

Back