Steve Hackett back catalog in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are very kind to say Good Sir fizzywiggs, :)

But if my wife found out I spent even what I spent on one recording...well.. does the name Lorena Bobbitt ring any bells?

I'm not single, rich & handsome like FredBlue or old & retired and rich like many QQers, so I try to squeeze my dollar to ridiculous levels of thrift.
About Aqualung, I'm still beating myself up over passing on it when a kind QQer, (was it Clint Eastwood?) posted a GREAT price, last year for 80 something dollars. A store was obviously clearing inventory...

Plus, I've bought these recordings over the decades many times over - LP(several times), 8-Track, CDs(many issues), CD Box Sets...

I do think a good legal case could be presented that I've bought th erights MANY times over and they should just give me these new remixes. I will of course be glad to pay the $.16 for the plastic disc and paper sleeve. ;)

I too fall short of the dashing debonair fredblue...most of us do...so we must be resourceful...and you have mastered the stealth approach to buying high priced items...you follow the golden rule of spousal bliss..."it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"..well done my man:bounce17

But if my wife found out I spent even what I spent on one recording...well.. does the name Lorena Bobbitt ring any bells?

I'm not single, rich & handsome like FredBlue or old & retired and rich like many QQers, so I try to squeeze my dollar to ridiculous levels of thrift.
About Aqualung: I'm still beating myself up over passing on it when a kind QQer, (was it Clint Eastwood?) posted a GREAT price, last year for 80 something dollars. A store was obviously clearing inventory...

Plus, I've bought these recordings over the decades many times over - LP(several times), 8-Track, CDs(many issues), CD Box Sets...

I do think a good legal case could be presented that I've bought the rights MANY times over and they should just give me these new remixes. I will of course be glad to pay the $.16 for the plastic disc and paper sleeve. ;)

Lorena Bobbitt even reached the news this side of the pond! I suggest "...are there more pairs of shoes in here than before?......"

Nothing new about 5.1 but here is a review(more like a promo) but even though mostly fluff information I am a sucker for this stuff as it does ramp up the anticipation on this, sure hope this release is not a let down. As Dennis said, really happy that we have SW 5.1 mixes, that alone is a selling point for me as well as that should make this release worth it as some others have said the JT releases are DTS 96/24 and sound on those are very good.
Real shame that they didn't do Dvd Audio as there is no technical reason that they couldn't have done it. Unfortutanely SW is not a promoter of Dvd Audio either so that doesn't help as he doesn't think enough people benefit from it so thats why he has gone DTS 96/24 or Bluray if lossless.
Here is the review I found for this release:

http://getreadytorock.me.uk/blog/20...emonitions-the-charisma-recordings-1975-1983/

Hey rt, :) Do you actually have the box set?

Hi Dennis.
No, I don't, for if I did, I would be able to tell everyone on here exactly what's on the DVDs. Instead, we are all left with too many damn questions and not enough answers before this set is released. (That problem never seems to exist for the higher quality releases from artists like King Crimson, XTC, Yes, Jethro Tull, etc.)
What I was referring to in the post you quoted me on was the picture of the back of the box I found on amazon, and that's about all I have to go on right now as far as pictorial evidence is concerned.
I hope answers to all of our questions come soon!

Real shame that they didn't do Dvd Audio as there is no technical reason that they couldn't have done it. Unfortutanely SW is not a promoter of Dvd Audio either so that doesn't help as he doesn't think enough people benefit from it so thats why he has gone DTS 96/24 or Bluray if lossless.

A few things to keep in mind.
First off, once Steven Wilson remixes an album, he doesn't have any control after that as far as if, when, or how it's released. Obviously, he can make suggestions, and he always tries to push for lossless audio no matter what he does, but the artists & record labels make the decisions they make, and we have to live with them, good or bad.

As far as SW's own declining use of DVDA for his own releases, I bet he looks at it this way. You are probably right that he probably thinks that not enough people benefit from DVDA, but there's more to it than that. DVD-V can still provide lossless stereo audio for those who want it, Blu-Ray can still provide lossless stereo and surround audio for those who want it, and finally, both the DVDs for the "Raven" and "Hand Cannot Erase" albums might not have even had the space left to provide lossless surround information in the AUDIO_TS folder.

But I also agree with you in that given what we know about the content of these Hackett DVDs, there probably is no good excuse for the lack of high-res surround if that element is indeed missing.

Not to make light of what SW or Jakko do with remixing, but receiving 5.1 music files on a hard drive and mixing them in pro tools or whatever is infinitely less complex than coming up with a clean flat transfer from a 40 year old analog tape. The tape transfer process is a whole separate department and requires a shitload of $$$ and time. I doubt a Steve Hackett project would warrent that kind or resources. I HOPE I am dead wrong.

Hi Mr. Moore Jr. Sir,

I just wanted to say that, being a mixing/mastering engineer myself, you are way off in this assumption, pardon me to be so blunt.
Mixing 8, 16, or way more MONO tracks in surround in infinitely more complex than copying a single analog stereo tape to digital, even if it's 40 years old. And it doesn't cost a lot either, you can do it for a couple hundred quids at the top facilities, or even less if there aren't any problems. It just demands a good experience (and good hardware).
Mixing is more complex than mastering, which is in turn more complex than copying a tape to digital. And I would say mixing to stereo is more complex than mixing to surround, but that's just me.

Last edited:
So.. did anyone find out yet if this is a one time pressing deal..?

Its been established things like the Tull 5.1 sets are one time things and that when they're all gone they're all gone, so don't dilly dally and all that..

I realise I've bleated on about this a few times here already but to be perfectly frank I just would rather right now put the money into half a dozen old Quad records (which are definitively limited and very much out of print..!) and get this big ass box set down the line if its not gonna be out of print straight away and require I sell a kidney to pay for a copy at Christmas...

Hi Mr. Moore Jr. Sir,

I just wanted to say that, being a mixing/mastering engineer myself, you are way off in this assumption, pardon me to be so blunt.
Mixing 16 or way more MONO tracks in surround in infinitely more complex than copying a single analog stereo tape to digital, even if it's 40 years old. And it doesn't cost a lot either, you can do it for a couple hundred quids at the top facilities or even less if there aren't any problems. It just demands a good experience (and good hardware).
Mixing is more complex than mastering, which is in turn more complex than copying a tape to digital. And I would say mixing to stereo is more complex than mixing to surround, but that's just me.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the great information. :) I poorly chose my words, no offense meant, I apologize. My point was in regards to expecting 96/24 flat transfers of 2nd gen 2.0 SH masters and 5.1 remixes and the pitfalls 40 year old tape cause. A flat transfer can't be done if the original tape doesn't exist! But.... Once it is ripped, we can have our expectations. :)

I never should have used the word "infinite". I was trying to point out that once a 2nd gen 2.0 master has been ripped to digital, us fans can rest easy knowing that its coming! No RIP? Then many bad things(for us fans) could be the reason for the absence.

With a multi-track original master plastic tape there is no promise the tape can be ripped at all and there are many problems(less than infinite;)) that could prevent that crucial first step. Once the RIP has been done and in the hands of yourself, SW or Jakko, it is a piece of cake for us fans! ;) We just wait until you conjure out of thin air all the inserts, missing cut & pastes, sort through hundreds of takes, etc... and let us listen.:music.

If the source tape is missing or too damaged to even RIP, then us fans have no hope for a release. Between the reformulation of 1970s tape and the lack of proper archiving of tape and the reality that back in the day record companies had no way of knowing that there would be digital magic in the future that would make the tape so valuable as an archive item. ... Tape was just used as a production tool to get a project done and then move on to the next. Lots of variables that work against us fans, 40 years later, who demand that original tape to start the whole process of a high fidelity remix.

In the case of a ripped HD, us fans can rejoice in the fact that the music is coming! The mixing engineer works his magic and we are ready! And as you correctly say, sometimes the remix is very complex and involves a great deal of work as well.

Sadly some tapes aren't in good enough shape even to RIP in the first place so no amount of sleuthing in digital can deliver a product. Alex Lifeson has hinted that this was a problem with RUSH - Hemispheres and other RUSH multi-tracks. For me as a music lover, my worst nightmare.

My point was, since the Steve Hackett Box set offers NO information for us, I was pondering two fates:

Missing or deteriorated tape = No chance = Ultimate music lover's nightmare. :mad:

RIPPed tracks already on HD = mixing engineer doesn't sleep for a month while mixing = Music lover gets remix to treasure for ever. :phones

That was all I was trying to say.

Hi Mr. Moore Jr. Sir,

Mixing 16 or way more MONO tracks in surround in infinitely more complex than copying a single analog stereo tape to digital, even if it's 40 years old. And it doesn't cost a lot either, you can do it for a couple hundred quids at the top facilities or even less if there aren't any problems. It just demands a good experience (and good hardware).

100% this!

In mastering, you're opening the blinds to the right level and maybe cleaning the window if needed.
In mixing, you're creating the world outside that window from the raw ingredients.

Not to dismiss the complexity of the restoration work that can be needed at times in mastering.

Nuance in a mix can surpass fidelity in importance too. Lots of comments around here from people (myself included) preferring less than perfect copies of a master (even portable quality formats) of their preferred mix vs. significantly cleaner copies of someone elses mix.

About Aqualung: I'm still beating myself up over passing on it when a kind QQer, (was it Clint Eastwood?) posted a GREAT price, last year for 80 something dollars. A store was obviously clearing inventory...

I do think a good legal case could be presented that I've bought the rights MANY times over and they should just give me these new remixes. I will of course be glad to pay the $.16 for the plastic disc and paper sleeve. ;)

Yes I suppose there would be a downside to her finding out, as you state.....but

On the upside.................You could wear (for ever more) jeans without a zipper!

Yes I suppose there would be a downside to her finding out, as you state.....but

On the upside.................You could wear (for ever more) jeans without a zipper!

funny-baby-3.jpg

I used to have my hair like that..!! My boss at the time used to call me TinTin..! :D

1927861_8281840547_6240_n.jpg

Then I stopped dying it (I'm convinced constantly getting it dyed blond was making it fall out.. but the liquid fertiliser helped it grow back.. Hic! :friday:

1927861_8281855547_5654_n.jpg

and fast forward 15 years and now I'm your long haired (startled!) lover from Liverpool.. :eek:

12143209_10156181163490026_2348471324560210980_n.jpg

Ok, and now to get this thread back on topic… :confused:

Is anyone on here a member of this Genesis forum? http://genesisgts.conforums.com
A few members on there are already reporting that they have received their box sets, so maybe somebody can ask for more info about the exact content and audio specs of those DVDs.
(Not sure I would believe their answers anyway since they might not even know what the heck DVDA really is anyway, but it's worth a shot!) :)

Ok, and now to get this thread back on topic… :confused:

Is anyone on here a member of this Genesis forum? http://genesisgts.conforums.com
A few members on there are already reporting that they have received their box sets, so maybe somebody can ask for more info about the exact content and audio specs of those DVDs.
(Not sure I would believe their answers anyway since they might not even know what the heck DVDA really is anyway, but it's worth a shot!) :)

Sorry.. :eek:

Say Whaaaaaa....tttt....???? :yikes People already have their Hackett boxes!!!

Hmm.. I think a few folks there might know about the formats, what with all the Genesis and related hi-res surround there's been over the years.. but.. you may well have a point, maybe they don't know their DVD-A$$holes from their DVD-V-elbows....

Someone on twitter has received their box today and confirmed to me that the discs are DVD-A but can't confirm the full specs to me yet. If I hear more I will post.

Apart from the weirdness that no QQ or SHF member seems to have this yet (let's face it someone on here or there tends to get these new releases in before just about anybody)..

..the weirdness gets weirder since it appears there are now five separate vendors over at Amazon Italy offering this box set (Amazon themselves are the cheapest @ €101 euros) but no other Amazon territory has it in stock.. and Amazon UK are no longer offering it for pre order at all, saying they don't know when or if they will have it back in stock.. yet my pre order is now saying it will dispatch on October the 22nd.. Bizarre.

Did Paul Sinclair say anymore about the actual contents and so forth of this set?

Anybody a member of "Turn it on Again-A Genesis Forum".
I see two people got copies yesterday and these were their brief comments:

1. Received mine today thanks to Universal Music. It really is a beautiful package. The book is insightful and fascinating and the 5.1 mixes are stunning.

2. Got my mitts on this yesterday and spent the day immersed in classic Hackett! A superb job has been done on this and I think the fans will thoroughly enjoy it. I even learned a few things I didn't know whilst reading the excellent book that accompanies the set. Well done to all involved.

Anybody a member of "Turn it on Again-A Genesis Forum".
I see two people got copies yesterday and these were their brief comments:

1. Received mine today thanks to Universal Music. It really is a beautiful package. The book is insightful and fascinating and the 5.1 mixes are stunning.

2. Got my mitts on this yesterday and spent the day immersed in classic Hackett! A superb job has been done on this and I think the fans will thoroughly enjoy it. I even learned a few things I didn't know whilst reading the excellent book that accompanies the set. Well done to all involved.

One guy on there, Alan H.(comment no. 2), is I believe Alan Hewitt who has always been close with the band and has written a couple of books on them. He may have gotten a courtesy copy, but from looking around I think it did get released on the 16th in some places.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be funnny if the copies sold on Amazon Italy were DVD-A by mistake while all the others were plain DVD-V?

Erm.

Okay, I leave.

Back