Steve Hoffman forums full of CRAZY stereo obsessed people!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently you haven't come across the mono obsessed folks there yet!

I like the Hoffman forums, but those people wear me out sometimes. I can only take that place in small doses.

I'm relatively new to the joys of 5.1 so consequently I'm new to this forum as well. Been lurking for awhile, but I enjoy it so far! I only wish there was more 5.1 music out there....:(

Heya Keeeeeeeeywhizzzzzzzzzzz, Welcome to the QQ Forums :banana: - u might be new now but 5.1 has a way of making u one of us!!!!One of Us!! ONE OF US!!!

Thing about 5.1 you will find, is that releases that you were meh or on the edge about will become AWEEEEEEEEEEEESOME with 5.1...........not all but most :51banana:

Welcome Keywhiz! We are excited but rational folks here for the most part. I think you will find out there are more surround releases out there. Lots of activity this month.

From QQ deep space

Heya Keeeeeeeeywhizzzzzzzzzzz, Welcome to the QQ Forums :banana: - u might be new now but 5.1 has a way of making u one of us!!!!One of Us!! ONE OF US!!!

Thing about 5.1 you will find, is that releases that you were meh or on the edge about will become AWEEEEEEEEEEEESOME with 5.1...........not all but most :51banana:

Surprisingly and Wonderfully TRUE!!!

Well, IT IS at the beginning, the same way sound and color was considered distracting in movies when introduced.

The more you listen to mch recordings the less you get distracted and the more you simply enjoy a new approach to the music.

maybe i'm just lucky...i was immediately captivated the minute i heard surround music for the first time. stunned and amazed...instantly spoiled for anything less!!

Or 4.0...For example, I listened to Sundown by Gordon Lightfoot (quad conversion) yesterday afternoon and I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. Not usually my style of music but the combination of great sonics and a great surround mix kept me fully engaged.

Or 4.0...For example, I listened to Sundown by Gordon Lightfoot (quad conversion) yesterday afternoon and I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. Not usually my style of music but the combination of great sonics and a great surround mix kept me fully engaged.

So true (y)

Another album transformed by Quad is Clapton's "There's One In Every Crowd". The stereo mix is very bland and the album comes across as pretty dull in 2.0 but in 4.0 the music really comes alive.

Edgar Winter's "Jasmine Nightdreams" is another. The Quad is so crazily active and engaging, some pretty ordinary material is elevated to a complete other level by an absolutely stunning surround mix.

Some days I need a bucket of the stuff..!

Haha. I was involved in a rather lengthy debate a few months back with one particular fellow who got my ire up a bit by his continual use of the word "gimmick" to describe MC. This was in a thread about the (then) upcoming Close To The Edge release. I post under a quite-different name there, but your moniker sounds familiar? If so, I remember enjoying your posts. Good times!

Haha. I was involved in a rather lengthy debate a few months back with one particular fellow who got my ire up a bit by his continual use of the word "gimmick" to describe MC. This was in a thread about the (then) upcoming Close To The Edge release. I post under a quite-different name there, but your moniker sounds familiar? If so, I remember enjoying your posts. Good times!

Good on ya! Behind you all the way (y)

Thanks! if you see fredblue on SHF.tv, sa-cd.net, blu-ray.com, etc., it'll be me :eek: say "Hi!" don't be shy! :D

maybe i'm just lucky...i was immediately captivated the minute i heard surround music for the first time. stunned and amazed...instantly spoiled for anything less!!

Exactly.png

Sure! gimmicks, like the full, rich sound of Morph the Kat, or the imaging in Kamakiriad. I notice if someone cuts down, they usually have not experienced the item they cut down, and 90% of the time it's only a lack of education of the issue.
I have had some get pissy over the matter and had some "discussions" that always ended up with me proving my point. And, that was easy with all the good reference's here and other web sites that are positive about it.
I have yet to hear a good argument against 5.1 music. Just poor production that all media suffers from.

Sure! gimmicks, like the full, rich sound of Morph the Kat, or the imaging in Kamakiriad. I notice if someone cuts down, they usually have not experienced the item they cut down, and 90% of the time it's only a lack of education of the issue.
I have had some get pissy over the matter and had some "discussions" that always ended up with me proving my point. And, that was easy with all the good reference's here and other web sites that are positive about it.
I have yet to hear a good argument against 5.1 music. Just poor production that all media suffers from.

And, in a passive-aggressive manner commonly found at that forum, the person calling it a 'gimmick' offered that perhaps he had just never heard a surround system that was set up properly or of sufficient quality and that he gets all the immersion he needs from stereo.

(If you don't hear what they do, it's usually because you have inferior ears and/or equipment.)

Like someone said earlier, that's a big, rollicking forum. I go there because it's easy to spend all day on one or two threads discussing a topic I like and ignore the 700 others moving quickly at the same time. And there are some great people there and some not-so-greats as you'd expect to find anywhere. So I'm not meaning to put down that forum itself in ANY WAY.

But yes---the attitude that MC is a 'gimmick' (If it's a gimmick then isn't stereo a gimmick also?) is absurd. Part of that, I believe, stems from people who believe that the original released mix of any album is the authoritative version of any recorded performance. I can understand that sentiment, but don't share it. I'm always looking into further insight into a recording. Especially with older stuff where I've played that original mix to death.

The discussion of CTTE was interesting in that the fellow's argument was that, unlike many other recordings, this album was largely recording and mixed at the same time, so that the mix itself WAS part of the performance. Of course, this point is moot when it becomes known that the original band members support and enjoy the surround mix. This fellow had no real answer to that except to continue to believe that there is something sacred about original mixes.

Stereo is technically a studio trick! Tell them that one. As far as the idiotic 'i have just two ears' argument; so does that mean one should listen to only two instruments on a mix? Would mixing 48 tracks of music be absurd, surely so with this argument.

Stereo is technically a studio trick! Tell them that one. As far as the idiotic 'i have just two ears' argument; so does that mean one should listen to only two instruments on a mix? Would mixing 48 tracks of music be absurd, surely so with this argument.

I can somewhat understand the position of the mono fanatics: that anything other than a mono presentation is distorting the original soundfield.

But once you accept stereo as a valid listening option, and open yourself to the mixing and soundfield placement decisions of the mixing engineer, then 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 etc channels becomes just as valid.

I can somewhat understand the position of the mono fanatics: that anything other than a mono presentation is distorting the original soundfield.

But once you accept stereo as a valid listening option, and open yourself to the mixing and soundfield placement decisions of the mixing engineer, then 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 etc channels becomes just as valid.

Glad to see you posting; I lurked on here for a year before recently joining. I've never been able to understand the position of so called "purists". I think in some regards it's a failure to accept change. They all seem to be "selective purists"; as they routinely go against their philosophy in other facets of their lives in the name of convenience. It's like some of the people in the animal rights movement; it just depends on what animal they happen to choose to adore and the others are not so special in their eyes.

To be fair, I think there would be a lot more MC fans over there if someone would remix The Monkees' albums into surround....

Zeppelin could of possible added a couple of thousand extra MC fans! If J. Page would of issued Zep in 5.1 as LTD edition box sets, say 10,000 copies available, I am 100% sure they would of sold. A band like that could of changed things for the better!

Back