Steve Miller Band "Fly Like An Eagle" 30th Anniversary Edition in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Don't Care What It Is! You Should Give Them The Full Mix. But The Audio Was Excellant/trainman92

Awesome. Can't believe it's DD. No other DD only disc I have sounds like this.
Hello,

Here's another DD only Digipak that I highly recommend for sonics, mix and musicianship. When I first heard this it set the standard for me of what DD can and should sound like. FLAE lives up to that standard and both of these titles get a solid 10 for total package entertainment value.

http://www.soniadada.com/pages/testpattern.htm

Hello,

Here's another DD only Digipak that I highly recommend for sonics, mix and musicianship. When I first heard this it set the standard for me of what DD can and should sound like. FLAE lives up to that standard and both of these titles get a solid 10 for total package entertainment value.

http://www.soniadada.com/pages/testpattern.htm

This is great stuff. I don't remember anyone mentioning this here before. So the 5.1 mix is aggressive? I guess you can only order it from their website? Also, is the entire album done in 5.1 or just some of the songs?

Last edited:
well everyone the delay was a joke the dvd audio sounds the same as the 6/29 date one still missing the complet space intro what did they want us to buy two of the same ;what a way to make a profit/trainman92

So you've played both all the way thru and they are the same? I saw this at FYE today for 19.99. Seems the sticker on the front is different. Sorta wish I had one of those cell phone cameras. Anyone want to post a picture of the case of the "new version" with the sticker on it? Or can pictures even be posted here. That SH forum has gone caput.

Can you now FF and RW while listening to the Dolby Digital 5.1 track? Also, is there any guest artist now missing from the concert (i.e. rights issues), or is everyone accounted for?

So you've played both all the way thru and they are the same? I saw this at FYE today for 19.99. Seems the sticker on the front is different. Sorta wish I had one of those cell phone cameras. Anyone want to post a picture of the case of the "new version" with the sticker on it? Or can pictures even be posted here. That SH forum has gone caput.

What is the issue here? Just play the thing and enjoy it!:confused:

What is the issue here? Just play the thing and enjoy it!:confused:
It's called "collector nervosa" . ;)

I'm also very interested in what the differences are, and what the identifying marks are on the media that indicate the difference. I wasn't able to pick up a copy before the recall (not for lack of trying, dang it!) If anyone has pre-recall copy for sale I'd be interested in acquiring it.

Yes, I suffer from (well, more like enjoy) collector nervosa as well. :eek:

First I played this in my car on the way home, and went thorough the whole album that day. The stereo re-mix is incredible! It all sounded so crisp and clean. A simple song like Mercury Blues seemed to impress me more than the more complex.

When I got the chance to do the surround spin, I decided to have my DTS copy loaded up along with the new mix. I started to play the new 5.1 mix, and was at first disappointed that the Space Intro was missing-what the heck! You would think that the 30th anniversary addition would want to stay true to the original? I must say that the wow factor I experienced in stereo mix, wasn’t initially there.

When I played the DTS version, I was able to tell immediately that at least they had taken the time to do a new re-mix on the newer release. The DTS lacks a lot of center. I would assume that the DTS is a quad fix? The DTS definitely doesn’t have the pop that the new 5.1 has. Overall, the DTS mix, that at one time thrilled me, now sounds pale in comparison even to the new stereo mix.

The new mix, despite my initial eh, is a really a nicely produced project. The soundstage was wide and full of texture. There is certainly definition of the instruments – they were all present and distinguishable. One of the things I do enjoy about re-masters, especially in surround, is that I can hear things better than before, and also things that were lost to my ears in the past.

In summation, this LP racks up there with some of the nicer surround mixes. As always for me, it is nice to visit an old friend and learn some new things about them.

Last edited:
Wish i'd read this before I bought the digipak today. I can't believe this was remixed without the Space Intro (again)! But it was. How stupid is that?

the stereo mix isn't a remix, btw.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what other people negatively reporting on this disc are listening to. I had Pulse on right after the 5.1 of FLAE and what a difference there was! Pulse paled in comparison. Of course it is live and not a studio recording but there was just such a difference.

So, the omission of the 'Space Intro' doesn't bug you? Imagine if they'd omitted 'Speak to Me' from Dark Side of teh Moon.

It does bug me that they didn't include the intro.

I know that the stereo isn't a re-mix, but I believe it is a re-mastered version because it sounds so clean.

Wish i'd read this before I bought the digipak today. I can't believe this was remixed without the Space Intro (again)! But it was. How stupid is that?

the stereo mix isn't a remix, btw.

Do we have an explanation as to WHY it keeps getting omitted?

It has been a few months, but the Steve Miller people replied.

My email to them complained and wondered why the space intro. was missing on the 30th anniversary edition.

Today I was told that the first releases were pulled from the shelves, though they didn't say why. Anyhow, they asked for my shipping address so they could send me another.

In my reply email, I asked if the reason the first set was pulled was because of the missing space intro. When I get another response, I will post it here.

In my reply email, I asked if the reason the first set was pulled was because of the missing space intro. When I get another response, I will post it here.

I have both versions and both have the same musical content (short "Space Intro"s). I haven't been able to figure out what the problem was other than squashed dynamics on certain songs. As it turned out, the dynamics of both discs were the same.

If that is the case, it amazes me that people receiving my email have no idea what I'm talking about when I speak of the missing music.

I guess when I get my new copy I can Ebay it, or maybe auction it here for free.

Back