Steven Wilson working on 5.1 mixes of Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra" and "Ricochet"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black and White or Coloro_O:ROFLMAO:..just kidding man:D
I think it was one step up from when you used to bolt a magnifying glass onto the screen :). Actually, it was a widescreen monster, it took two of us to lift onto the stand when I bought it and was a right nightmare to get out of the house (I had, of course, hurt my back the day before, so you can only imagine me trying to tip the set off it stand onto a slope of cushions and roll it out of the room) ;) It was more like the making of the Pyramids in reverse :)

I think it was one step up from when you used to bolt on a magnify glass onto the screen :). Actually, it was a widescreen monster, it took two of us to lift onto the stand when I bought it and was a right nightmare to get out of the house (I had, of course, hurt my back the day before, so you can only imagine me trying to tip the set off it stand onto a slope of cushions and roll it out of the room) ;) It was more like the making of the Pyramids :)

Before I made the move to HD...I had a 40inch tube set that weighed almost 300 lbs:eek:

Please don't buy this (if it's like the previous issue it's a total con with RUBCYON now over dubbed) - IN SEARCH OF HADES will be much better ;)

Here's my attempt to put some kind of order to its history so far:

1. OCT 4 1975: Tony Palmer and Thames TV film TD's concert at Coventry Cathedral. The whole show was recorded.
2. The film/video was going to be prepared for 50-minute BBC OMNIBUS programme, OMNIBUS being their flagship arts programme at the time, but this never happened.
3. NOV 1975: Chris Franke flew to the UK to help with the editing of the film. As commented on in NME on NOV 29, 1975.
4. A shortened - approx 30-minute version - was produced with the original sound intact (V1.1).
5. Richard Branson gets the original sound replaced with TD's album RICOCHET without the knowledge or involvement of director Tony Palmer (V1.2). Perhaps also in reaction to some of the luke-warm reviews of the show?
6. OCT 3 1976: (V1.2) "Tangerine Dream live at Coventry Cathedral" was broadcast on BBC 2 TV at 8.15pm, it was labelled as "An edited recording", with RICOCHET overdubbed.
7. 2017: Gonzo Multimedia/Tony Palmer/Rob Ayling re-edit it again 'with the original concert sound' but actually pull a fast one and overdub RUBYCON over most it. Having released it a year or so earlier (TPDVD181) and before that with a bonus CD of the 'original sound' ie a VERY bad recording of RICOCHET and yet another version before that with just the DVD with RICOCHET (V1.2).
8. JAN 2019: Gonzo Multimedia/Tony Palmer/Pledge re-re-releases it again, now with another bit from Palmer's ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE which had a few shots of TD at Coventry.
9. APRIL/MAY 2019: (V1.1?) Universal finally release the real audio from Coventry on their forthcoming boxset IN SEARCH OF HADES? Confirmation of this ONLY when Universal release the full track details later this month?

Please don't buy this (if it's like the previous issue it's a total con with RUBCYON now over dubbed) - IN SEARCH OF HADES will be much better ;)

1. OCT 4 1975: Tony Palmer and Thames TV film TD's concert at Coventry Cathedral. The whole show was recorded.
2. The film/video was going to be prepared for 50-minute BBC OMNIBUS programme, OMNIBUS being their flagship arts programme at the time, but this never happened.
3. NOV 1975: Chris Franke flew to the UK to help with the editing of the film. As commented on in NME on NOV 29, 1975.
4. A shortened - approx 30-minute version - was produced with the original sound intact (V1.1).
5. Richard Branson gets the original sound replaced with TD's album RICOCHET without the knowledge or involvement of director Tony Palmer (V1.2). Perhaps also in reaction to some of the luke-warm reviews of the show?
6. OCT 3 1976: (V1.2) "Tangerine Dream live at Coventry Cathedral" was broadcast on BBC 2 TV at 8.15pm, it was labelled as "An edited recording", with RICOCHET overdubbed.
7. 2017: Gonzo Multimedia/Tony Palmer/Rob Ayling re-edit it again 'with the original concert sound' but actually pull a fast one and overdub RUBYCON over most it. Having released it a year or so earlier (TPDVD181) and before that with a bonus CD of the 'original sound' ie a VERY bad recording of RICOCHET and yet another version before that with just the DVD with RICOCHET (V1.2).
8. JAN 2019: Gonzo Multimedia/Tony Palmer/Pledge re-re-releases it again, now with another bit from Palmer's ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE which had a few shots of TD at Coventry.
9. APRIL/MAY 2019: (V1.1?) Universal finally release the real audio from Coventry on their forthcoming boxset IN SEARCH OF HADES? Confirmation of this ONLY when Universal release the full track details later this month?

Thanks so much for letting us know about this... I had placed an order for this boxset, and after reading your post, decided to go on the PledgeMusic website and watched the trailer at https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/tangerine-dream-tony-palmer and you are indeed correct, all we hear is from the studio album Rubycon, and not from the actual concert. I promptly cancelled my order, and sent a note to the PledgeMusic folk telling them why. Hopefully the actual concert (with video) will one day be available.

I very much appreciate the heads-up on this!

Thanks so much for letting us know about this... I had placed an order for this boxset, and after reading your post, decided to go on the PledgeMusic website and watched the trailer at https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/tangerine-dream-tony-palmer and you are indeed correct, all we hear is from the studio album Rubycon, and not from the actual concert. I promptly cancelled my order, and sent a note to the PledgeMusic folk telling them why. Hopefully the actual concert (with video) will one day be available.

I very much appreciate the heads-up on this!

No problem

Thanks so much for joining here. Your input is greatly appreciated! We are looking forward to the forthcoming box!

IN SEARCH OF HADES has been slightly delayed, but apparently, the delay has allowed extra content to be added to an already packed boxset
That's the best reason for a delay! The long-awaited Star Trek: Deep Space Nine documentary helmed by showrunner Ira Behr is similarly delayed because they are remastering all show footage used in the film to HD from the original film elements, giving choice scenes the same treatment received by The Next Generation a few years ago. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be for In Search of Hades... More Steven Wilson mixes? [emoji120][emoji51]

That's the best reason for a delay! The long-awaited Star Trek: Deep Space Nine documentary helmed by showrunner Ira Behr is similarly delayed because they are remastering all show footage used in the film to HD from the original film elements, giving choice scenes the same treatment received by The Next Generation a few years ago. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be for In Search of Hades... More Steven Wilson mixes? [emoji120][emoji51]
Doubt it, afaik Wilson has only remixed tracks from PHAEDRA, RICOCHET and the unreleased 1974 studio album in 5.1 and in stereo. He has only done one other thing, but that will have to wait until Universal officially announce this.

Back