Stop Making Sense to get a new 4K theatrical run, courtesy of A24 (with E.T. Thorngren Atmos mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Interesting they have a non-HDR version since all 4K TVs support HDR. I wonder if the upcoming UHD BD has both DV/HDR and non-HDR with the ‘Laserdisc cut’?

Thanks. Interesting they have a non-HDR version since all 4K TVs support HDR. I wonder if the upcoming UHD BD has both DV/HDR and non-HDR with the ‘Laserdisc cut’?
Kaleidescape caters to the high end audio videophile (lots of yaughts, too) and often in addition to HDR (when available, not all movies have this) will often have an Ultra HD 4k (non-HDR), because some folks may find with their projector and size of screen, even sometimes with regular 4k tvs, that the non-HDR 4k version simply looks better. those of us with projectors and Lumagen or MadVR HDR tone mapping find generally that the HDR will look the best.

Many people with projectors find that HDR is detrimental to the video quality.

I have two OLED TVs and viewing in HDR is definitely my preference.
Same for my basement LG 65” OLED! Same for my theater 2.35 14’ wide screen w my prior Sony VPL-VW5000 projector and my theater reconstruction/upgrade with Sony VPL-GTZ380 projector. I use a Lumagen 5348 video processor with projector which does a marvelous job of HDR tone mapping.

Yes - thats mostly due to large screens with relatively poor projector tone mapping for HDR. A Lumagen or MadVR does and solves the tone mapping issue so HDR will generally look the best. The 4k Ultra HD (non-HDR) does not need tone mapping to look good on any screen.

I forgot about that. 4K projectors that don’t do HDR.

I had many PJs over the years, starting with a high end CRT in the 90s (16K USD) then through various others. When I moved house in 2018 I abandoned PJs for 4K OLED. My main room has only 77” but I’ll upsize at some stage. OLED is perfect in all lighting conditions. My PJs were always affected by ambient light since I never had a dedicated blacked out room. (Funny thing is my new house does have a dedicated media room now but sitting relatively close to 77” seems as big as my old 120” PJ screen I left behind).

I still have my last PJ (JVC 3D) in my garage, unused since July 2018. I should sell it. There may be a 3D enthusiast out there somewhere.

I forgot about that. 4K projectors that don’t do HDR.

I had many PJs over the years, starting with a high end CRT in the 90s (16K USD) then through various others. When I moved house in 2018 I abandoned PJs for 4K OLED. My main room has only 77” but I’ll upsize at some stage. OLED is perfect in all lighting conditions. My PJs were always affected by ambient light since I never had a dedicated blacked out room. (Funny thing is my new house does have a dedicated media room now but sitting relatively close to 77” seems as big as my old 120” PJ screen I left behind).

I still have my last PJ (JVC 3D) in my garage, unused since July 2018. I should sell it. There may be a 3D enthusiast out there somewhere.
Homer most newer video projectors do HDR10 but none do Dolby Vision which is only available on flatscreen TVs!

And then there is also HDR10+ which AFAIK is the latest iteration of HDR!

Homer most newer video projectors do HDR10 but none do Dolby Vision which is only available on flatscreen TVs!

And then there is also HDR10+ which AFAIK is the latest iteration of HDR!
HDR10+ is where things get… weird.

So much like squares and rectangles: Not all 4K TV’s have HDR (budget 4K TVs are usually SDR)… but all HDR TV’s are 4K. And Samsung has decided that they want their own HDR… which is HDR10+.

HDR10 is open source, anyone can use it, but it has a limitation in which the darkest point and the brightest point are set for the whole video file. HDR10 is the HDR of choice for YouTube and streamers that offer HDR… but no specifics on what kind of HDR (Hulu, Amazon Prime, select titles on Netflix, etc)

Dolby Vision adds “dynamic metadata”, which is a fancy way of saying it allows scene per scene (or shot by shot) re-adjustments of high and low points. This is the ideal setup… but requires paying a licensing fee to Dolby.

So HDR10+ is a new format being pushed by Samsung and only is available on Samsung TVs (at least, last I checked), and has very limited support: Apple TV has started making its catalogue available in HDR10+, and the Criterion 4K disc of Wall-E are the only things I know of that supports HDR10+ out of the box. I believe the special TV Operating System version of Amazon Prime Video also supports it as I know that the 8K (yes, really) version of Lord of the Rings: Rings Of Power was exclusive to Samsung TVs, and supported HDR10+.

So we effectively have two solutions that come to solve the same problem: per scene dynamic range, both behind licensing fees/weird proprietary nonsense. In theory both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ *should* fold back to standard HDR10, but this weird spat between Samsung and Dolby has lead to a fracturing of HDR titles

TV's that support both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision:
  • Panasonic core range TVs from 2020 onwards (OLED and most 4K LCDs from 2019)
  • Hisense TVs from 2021 onwards
  • TCL TVs from 2020 onwards

Latest posts

Back