Stop Making Sense to get a new 4K theatrical run, courtesy of A24 (with E.T. Thorngren Atmos mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes the cost for this is "outragously high", but the quality of the concert is OUTRAGOUSLY OUTSTANDING!
The "old" blu ray of the concert in 5.1 is as far as I am concerned the pinnacle of concert videos! So this new 4k will surely top that!
The new 4K restoration is a huge improvement over the previous blu-ray. The new Dolby Atmos sound mix is also sensational. This is not only the greatest concert movie ever made, it is also one of the greatest documentaries ever made. And A24 are including great supplements. This is far better value for money, than quite a few of those very expensive super deluxe box sets, released last year. I paid over $200 for the Who's Next/Life House box and I wouldn't hesitate to say that this Stop Making Sense package will give me more bang for the buck!

The new 4K restoration is a huge improvement over the previous blu-ray.

I guess you are comparing the 4K theatre presentation with the old BDV, or have you managed to preview the 4K UHD?

The old BD hasn’t got the best PQ. I’m expecting a big improvement with the new 4K scan and remaster.

The new 4K restoration is a huge improvement over the previous blu-ray. The new Dolby Atmos sound mix is also sensational. This is not only the greatest concert movie ever made, it is also one of the greatest documentaries ever made. And A24 are including great supplements. This is far better value for money, than quite a few of those very expensive super deluxe box sets, released last year. I paid over $200 for the Who's Next/Life House box and I wouldn't hesitate to say that this Stop Making Sense package will give me more bang for the buck!

Will you “Stop Making Sense” already?

I guess you are comparing the 4K theatre presentation with the old BDV, or have you managed to preview the 4K UHD?

The old BD hasn’t got the best PQ. I’m expecting a big improvement with the new 4K scan and remaster.
My expectations are the same as yours! You have never “Stop(led) Making Sense”!

One other minor detail will be whether Cities and I Zimbra can be watched as part of the original concert order, or just as extras after the movie.

I saw the Heads on this tour, definitely one of my favorite concert experiences.

I've seen the restoration theatrically.

I believe they were incorporated into the main feature on the original VHS (where they belong in my opinion).
They can easily create multiple branching files, so that you can watch the original theatrical release or a “complete concert” version. They just have to do it when they create the disc.
It’s not a huge thing, but it would make this release more desirable if they offer that playback option.

As part of the A24 UHD4K release of Jonathan Demme's STOP MAKING SENSE, a Tribute album from various artists is in the works from A24 Music and will include the following artists:

Paramore • Miley Cyrus • Lorde • girl in red • The National • Teezo Touchdown • Kevin Abstract • BADBADNOTGOOD • Toro y Moi • Blondshell • DJ Tunez • Jean Dawson • Chicano Batman • The Linda Lindas • El Mató • The Cavemen.​

Here's a brief clip:

https://a24music.lnk.to/BurningDown...VL861rAxi-ZqxUCGUD4y9LBX0s6r-jiQzmF5Q=.Uk6tXe

They can easily create multiple branching files, so that you can watch the original theatrical release or a “complete concert” version. They just have to do it when they create the disc.
It’s not a huge thing, but it would make this release more desirable if they offer that playback option.
Not going to happen. Read the release notes. The bonus concert footage was never part of the original theatrical print and would look and sound noticeably different in quality in the restored version. There were other songs that were played during the concerts for the films, but were never put into it: “The Book I Read”, “Love → Building On Fire” and David Byrne’s “Big Blue Plymouth”. Also, “Found A Job” wasn’t actually a part of the touring setlist for the Speaking in Tongues tour. The only reason it was a part of “Stop Making Sense” was because Bernie Worrell liked the song so much that he demanded a performance for the movie. When David Byrne says "Does anybody have any questions?" at the end of Life During Wartime, that's an overdub. In the actual concert, he's announcing the end of the first set. So the movie Stop Making Sense is not a complete concert film anyway, it's an 88 minute piece of perfection. And the forthcoming 4K UHD is as desirable as all get out.

Not going to happen. Read the release notes. The bonus concert footage was never part of the original theatrical print and would look and sound noticeably different in quality in the restored version. There were other songs that were played during the concerts for the films, but were never put into it: “The Book I Read”, “Love → Building On Fire” and David Byrne’s “Big Blue Plymouth”. Also, “Found A Job” wasn’t actually a part of the touring setlist for the Speaking in Tongues tour. The only reason it was a part of “Stop Making Sense” was because Bernie Worrell liked the song so much that he demanded a performance for the movie. When David Byrne says "Does anybody have any questions?" at the end of Life During Wartime, that's an overdub. In the actual concert, he's announcing the end of the first set. So the movie Stop Making Sense is not a complete concert film anyway, it's an 88 minute piece of perfection. And the forthcoming 4K UHD is as desirable as all get out.
Not trying to be argumentative, but Cities and Big Business/I Zimbra were mixed into Atmos for the soundtrack re-release, so they wouldn’t necessarily sound different from the main feature. And if the original negative was available, there’s no reason to assume the two tracks couldn’t have been restored alongside the main feature.

Also “The Book I Read”, “Love → Building On Fire” and David Byrne’s “Big Blue Plymouth” were played on that tour, but they were NOT played at the Pantages shows. The 16 tracks in the film plus “Cities” and “Big Business/I Zimbra” represent what a complete filmed show would consist of.

Personally I prefer the two tracks included as “Cities” serves as Alex Weir’s introduction to the “story” of the building of the band, and BB/IZ feels like Byrne’s final insanity before he is “reborn” in the big suit with slicked back hair.

Not trying to be argumentative, but Cities and Big Business/I Zimbra were mixed into Atmos for the soundtrack re-release, so they wouldn’t necessarily sound different from the main feature. And if the original negative was available, there’s no reason to assume the two tracks couldn’t have been restored alongside the main feature.

Also “The Book I Read”, “Love → Building On Fire” and David Byrne’s “Big Blue Plymouth” were played on that tour, but they were NOT played at the Pantages shows. The 16 tracks in the film plus “Cities” and “Big Business/I Zimbra” represent what a complete filmed show would consist of.

Personally I prefer the two tracks included as “Cities” serves as Alex Weir’s introduction to the “story” of the building of the band, and BB/IZ feels like Byrne’s final insanity before he is “reborn” in the big suit with slicked back hair.
I do like the bonus songs and I have the VHS and Japanese LaserDisc, where they were re-inserted. The decision to remove them was most likely taken by the director and band as a way of tightening the film. I don't think the six or seven minutes of shorted running time was the issue. Cities, performed after Slippery People, doesn't really build the momentum, as it does when Slippery People goes into Burning Down The House - the first peak of the show. Also, after the incredible highlight of Once In A Lifetime - maybe the film's absolute peak - it feels cathartic to change tempo downwards, instead of galloping further into a medley of Big Business (not one of the band's very good songs) and a truncated I Zimbra. I reckon Jonathan Demme was thinking of the film in dramatic terms, not necessarily as reproducing a faithful concert experience.

Been a long time since I saw them at Forest Hills. The movie has become my memory of that show, although I do remember that they performed I Zimbra. I had completely forgotten about that song from The Catherine Wheel.

The whole Paramore cover is on Apple Music.

As part of the A24 UHD4K release of Jonathan Demme's STOP MAKING SENSE, a Tribute album from various artists is in the works from A24 Music and will include the following artists:

Paramore • Miley Cyrus • Lorde • girl in red • The National • Teezo Touchdown • Kevin Abstract • BADBADNOTGOOD • Toro y Moi • Blondshell • DJ Tunez • Jean Dawson • Chicano Batman • The Linda Lindas • El Mató • The Cavemen.​

Here's a brief clip:

https://a24music.lnk.to/BurningDown...VL861rAxi-ZqxUCGUD4y9LBX0s6r-jiQzmF5Q=.Uk6tXe

Full list of features is out now. Copy paste:

Special Collector's Edition of Stop Making Sense available in Standard HD Blu-ray or 4K UHD with HDR.

Featuring a 64-page interior booklet with never-before-seen photography, archival production documents, foreword by Jerry Harrison, and more.

Disc extras include:
○ Talking Heads Extended Cut (2023) featuring “Cities” & “Big Business / I Zimbra” (includes previously unseen / newly restored negative)
○ Jonathan Demme Extended Cut (1985) featuring “Cities & Big Business / I Zimbra” (1989 LaserDisc Transfer)
○ 25-minute making-of documentary edited by Bill Ross IV
○ Jonathan Demme Director Commentary (Recorded in 1999, remixed in 2023 featuring previously unpublished archival audio)
○ David Byrne rehearsal tape (Archival VHS footage)
○ Bonus Songs “Cities” & “Big Business / I Zimbra” (2023 and 1985 edits)
○ 2023 Dolby Atmos and 1984 Original Stereo mixes

So the 5.1 mixes are getting dropped, but the Laserdisc/VHS cut is getting a transfer and that same cut is getting a full restoration as the “Talking Heads Extended Cut”

○ Jonathan Demme Director Commentary (Recorded in 1999, remixed in 2023 featuring previously unpublished archival audio)
The idea of editing director commentary and calling it remixing in this case may be technically correct, but it raises ideas of someone coming into the mixing session and saying, "Hmm... Can be have this commentary spin around all the speakers a bit? How about we add some more reverb to it?"

Disc extras include:

I bought the laserdisc version but have absolutely no interest in ever seeing that ‘cut’ again. Not sure why that’s included. A waste of space IMO. Give me 4K at maximum video bitrate.

Also not sure why they have the Bonus Songs separately since they’re in the 2023 Extended Cut? If you want to see those songs why not watch the extended cut? Makes No Sense.

Back