Stop Making Sense to get a new 4K theatrical run, courtesy of A24 (with E.T. Thorngren Atmos mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shop recognized me and took my money straightaway

The only ‘shop’ that’s never taken my money is Dolby. I paid a Dolby dealer on order but Dolby refused the order. (I got a refund minus all the exchange and CC fees…)

Originally I saw reporting that it would not be released until Sept. But when I ordered it said May release. Don't know as I have ever ordered from A24 before but Shop recognized me and took my money straightaway. lol. Here's hoping.....
I can’t say I’ve ever seen a better concert than on the 5.1 Blu-ray - until of course I see the new 4K disc

Considering that my prior A24 special edition purchases shipped in a form fitting corrugated cardboard sleeve, and that export shipments between Canada and the USA should be tax free, the shipping price is extortionate! For those of you that reside in Canada, this translated to $116.32 CAD all-in... It better blow the doors off the Stop Making Sense concert DVD we already own!

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 9.35.29 PM.png
!

Last edited:
I just wanna state that for those curious about 4k releases and if they're worth it over 1080p... well, yes and no. Given the distance you sit from your TV, 1080p is all you need. BUT, what 4k releases often have is HDR, or high dynamic range, which allows brighter tones to be brighter and darker tones be darker. Of course, how this looks on your TV depends on the TV itself.

This is complicated a little by the fact that TVs that process HDR content are all exclusively 4k TVs.

I just wanna state that for those curious about 4k releases and if they're worth it over 1080p... well, yes and no. Given the distance you sit from your TV, 1080p is all you need. BUT, what 4k releases often have is HDR, or high dynamic range, which allows brighter tones to be brighter and darker tones be darker. Of course, how this looks on your TV depends on the TV itself.

This is complicated a little by the fact that TVs that process HDR content are all exclusively 4k TVs.
I can confirm this. I just watched a 1080p bluray of James Bond (No Time to Die) on my 4K-screen, with my Sony X800M2 upgrading the output to HDR (Dolby Vision) and it looked and sounded (Atmos!) just great. I dare say that it hands down beats a 4K stream on many of the streaming sites.
I bought 4K blurays for a couple of other movies just for the sake of it (I have the equipment, right) and obviously they look magnificent as well, but I would not want to bet on being able to individualise the 4K if we would not be doing a direct A/B comparison.
That said, the price difference between to 2K and 4K blurays is quite small, so if you have the equipment, why not go for the 4K?

Are A24 releases eventually available on Amazon or other sites?
Yes and no ..... for instance, MIDSOMMAR was first released in a 4K version via all the outlets but A24 decided to release an exclusive Director's Cut in 4K in very elaborate packaging for a premium. THE LIGHTHOUSE was only released in 1080p via the outlets whereas the 4K was again an exclusive A24 release via its website. THE GREEN KNIGHT was likewise available commercially in 4K and in an exact same 4K edition through A24's website only in more elaborate packaging. You get the drift?

Since STOP MAKING SENSE is a more popular title it would make sense to release it in 4K through ALL the various outlets but they may only release it commercially in a 2023 remastered 1080p edition [with Dolby ATMOS soundtrack] and keep the 4K exclusive to their website and as ALL their titles are LIMITED EDITIONS ..... if you really want the Premium 4K edition it may be wise to pre~order it NOW!

If only we had a crystal ball!

Yes and no ..... for instance, MIDSOMMAR was first released in a 4K version via all the outlets but A24 decided to release an exclusive Director's Cut in 4K in very elaborate packaging for a premium. THE LIGHTHOUSE was only released in 1080p via the outlets whereas the 4K was again an exclusive A24 release via its website. THE GREEN KNIGHT was likewise available commercially in 4K and in an exact same 4K edition through A24's website only in more elaborate packaging. You get the drift?

Since STOP MAKING SENSE is a more popular title it would make sense to release it in 4K through ALL the various outlets but they may only release it commercially in a 2023 remastered 1080p edition [with Dolby ATMOS soundtrack] and keep the 4K exclusive to their website and as ALL their titles are LIMITED EDITIONS ..... if you really want the Premium 4K edition it may be wise to pre~order it NOW!

Thanks. Not the answer I wanted to hear but certainly helpful information. The price point is not going to bankrupt me, but pretty darn annoying.
Am I correct that we have no idea whether the 2 additional songs, Cities and I Zimbabwe, have been remastered similar to the original movie? Those a 2 of my favorite TH songs.

Thanks. Not the answer I wanted to hear but certainly helpful information. The price point is not going to bankrupt me, but pretty darn annoying.
Am I correct that we have no idea whether the 2 additional songs, Cities and I Zimbabwe, have been remastered similar to the original movie? Those a 2 of my favorite TH songs.
Since the 1080p/4K release won't drop until April, I will keep my eye on the digitalbits.com and Blu~Ray.com websites for further info as they pretty much cover all these new pre~releases in detail including commercial availability [via links] and special features!

But increasingly, quite a few 4K releases are exclusive to their wesbites and are ONLY available via a premium including outlandish s/h charges!

Hope that helps a bit!

Reactions: PK

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On 4K UHD and blu-ray is only available through A24's website in the US. A no-frills blu-ray was released by another company in the UK.

Just under $65 to NY, including $7 for shipping. Kind of outrageous, but I pulled the trigger:)

Yes the cost for this is "outragously high", but the quality of the concert is OUTRAGOUSLY OUTSTANDING!
The "old" blu ray of the concert in 5.1 is as far as I am concerned the pinnacle of concert videos! So this new 4k will surely top that!

Back