Styx - The Mission - coming to 5.1 surround Blu-Ray in July!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://news.harman.com/blog/meet-the-men-with-a-5-1-mission

After reading this as excited as I am about some of the other 5.1 news recently this one has got me really really excited.
Fact Mike Mettler is glowing about it as well should mean it is the real deal 5.1 and this taken from the article has got me stoked:

For his part, Jim Scott — who’s worked behind the boards for the likes of Tom Petty, Crowded House, Dixie Chicks, and Wilco — adds that aside from the songwriting, what people talk to him about this album is the sound of it, because it’s loud, and it’s clear. “The important things are important, and that was the big success for me with this record,” he says. “Besides, it’s just funto listen to! Styx puts on a big stadium show every night, and that’s what this album came out sounding like in the 5.1 mix we did. It’s a 360-degree world. Things are flying around. They’re over here (points left), they’re over there (points right), they’re in the front, they’re in the back. But at the very front of it, it’s really pure and loud, and as kick-ass as your favorite stereo headphones mix — but it’s coming from everywhere, as the mix goes around each channel. And it’s not easy to do that with old, ancient analog equipment.”

After reading this as excited as I am about some of the other 5.1 news recently this one has got me really really excited.
Fact Mike Mettler is glowing about it as well should mean it is the real deal 5.1 and this taken from the article has got me stoked:

For his part, Jim Scott — who’s worked behind the boards for the likes of Tom Petty, Crowded House, Dixie Chicks, and Wilco — adds that aside from the songwriting, what people talk to him about this album is the sound of it, because it’s loud, and it’s clear. “The important things are important, and that was the big success for me with this record,” he says. “Besides, it’s just funto listen to! Styx puts on a big stadium show every night, and that’s what this album came out sounding like in the 5.1 mix we did. It’s a 360-degree world. Things are flying around. They’re over here (points left), they’re over there (points right), they’re in the front, they’re in the back. But at the very front of it, it’s really pure and loud, and as kick-ass as your favorite stereo headphones mix — but it’s coming from everywhere, as the mix goes around each channel. And it’s not easy to do that with old, ancient analog equipment.”

Excellent, peterzach, thanks for sharing.

Cannot WAIT!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was really hopeful...based on the content and quality of the vinyl I own that this 5.1 could be a rock tour de force.......sounds very promising. Thanks for posting that Peter......

What a great article!!! So exciting to hear artists getting excited about surround sound in this day and age. Thanks :)

What a great article!!! So exciting to hear artists getting excited about surround sound in this day and age. Thanks :)

Who'd have thought that 2018 is gearing up to be a banner year for QUAD/5.1 and a congratulatory SHOUT OUT LOUD to Jon Urban's Quadraphonic QUAD forum, its members and moderators, whom I justly believe are responsible for this renaissance!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!:51QQ

Last edited:
I have to commend them for offering this as a simple CD/Blu-Ray set for $20...at that price I'll definitely check it out.

So true that they are doing this the best way possible for fans and giving it to us a great price.
Hopefully this sells well, would love to get some of the early classic Styx albums in surround as well.

WHOA, GREAT FIND!!!!
If it was A&M , it's CD-4....
Innnnteressstinnnnggg

isn't it very interesting indeed! :LOL:

...more seriously, since that Discogs listing submission was by Darrell Johnson (CD-4 mastering engineer supremo among other fab achievements!) I'd say its a sure thing it exists or at least existed at one time.. if no Quad master tape survives, a CD-4 test pressing could be utilised to demodulate the Quad mix out of its' grooves.. maybe.. :unsure:

isn't it very interesting indeed! :LOL:

...more seriously, since that Discogs listing submission was by Darrell Johnson (CD-4 mastering engineer supremo among other fab achievements!) I'd say its a sure thing it exists or at least existed at one time.. if no Quad master tape survives, a CD-4 test pressing could be utilised to demodulate the Quad mix out of its' grooves.. maybe.. :unsure:

I'm certain, Adam, if Sales of The Mission [BD~A/RBCD] are substantial we'll be seeing other classic STYX albums in 5.1....would still love to hear the QUAD version of Grand Illusion.

Am currently enjoying the hell out of D~Vs latest batch of QUAD SACDs, MOST especially All American Boy.....what a brilliant QUAD remix. The WIZARD of WATFORD [Michael Dutton] is ON A ROLL!:dance

Back