Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
afaik....

- Edgar Winter's White Trash With Jerry LaCroix,
- They Only Come Out At Night,
- Shock Treatment,
- Jasmine Nightdreams,
- The Edgar Winter Group With Rick Derringer.

Then I would also lump in his brother Johnny Winter's Quads..

- Still Alive And Well,
- Saints And Sinners,
- John Dawson Winter III

and why not go for broke and do Edgar's mate Rick Derringer's Quads for good measure!
(to a certain extent, Derringer and Edgar W.'s personnel/band line up's were kinda interchangeable at one point
and Johnny, Edgar and Rick all played on one another's records numerous times over the years..)

- All American Boy,
- Spring Fever.

That's a cool TEN Quad releases for Audio Fidelity to do on Surround SACD right there.. and let me tell you there is not a clunker of a mix in the bunch! In fact they are all great examples of Quad imho :)

Also, Johnny Winter's Self-titled debut is an unreleased confirmed Quad as is Edgar's "White Trash". There was a magazine article from back in the day that said "Roadwork" was coming in Quad, but it never appeared. Some have suggested the LP is a hidden SQ but no Q8 or unreleased reel has ever surfaced.

Also, Johnny Winter's Self-titled debut is an unreleased confirmed Quad as is Edgar's "White Trash". There was a magazine article from back in the day that said "Roadwork" was coming in Quad, but it never appeared. Some have suggested the LP is a hidden SQ but no Q8 or unreleased reel has ever surfaced.

Oh right, I had heard about the Johnny Winter S/T debut being mixed for Quad and never released (Linda mentioned it one time, I forget the context now but I think she said it was because the Quad was deemed unsatisfactory back in the day :eek: )... I mentioned White Trash already << (having heard it at last I can say it is a great mix, I can only imagine it got passed over for the "latest and greatest" a la 'They Only Come Out At Night' to get the Quad treatment instead but who knows, maybe the mix was rejected because it didn't play ball well with SQ..? Not that that stopped Columbia et al from doing many of them, haha.. ;) ).... Roadwork is one like the Jeff Beck w/Jan Hammer where I've heard rumours there are demo/promo copies of the SQ LPs but I've never seen or heard one of either title.. so who knows, I will try out both Jan Hammer and Roadwork thru the Surround Master one of these fine days and report back on my findingssss Mister Bond.... hehehehe... (rubs chin in evil villain/bordering on Dr. Evil pose.. :eek: ) ok, coffee break time! :D

afaik....

- Shock Treatment,
- Jasmine Nightdreams,

- Still Alive And Well,
- Saints And Sinners,
- John Dawson Winter III

and why not go for broke and do Edgar's mate Rick Derringer's Quads for good measure!
(to a certain extent, Derringer and Edgar W.'s personnel/band line up's were kinda interchangeable at one point
and Johnny, Edgar and Rick all played on one another's records numerous times over the years..)

- All American Boy,
- Spring Fever.

That's a cool TEN Quad releases for Audio Fidelity to do on Surround SACD right there.. and let me tell you there is not a clunker of a mix in the bunch! In fact they are all great examples of Quad imho :)

I would buy all of them, and yes the Johnny Winter debut was one of the M Robin reels.

Here's my recommendation for a Quad Hybrid SACD from Audio Fidelity: Elvis Presley - From Elvis In Memphis (although I'd like all of Elvis' Quads to be released on SACD) :)

Here's my recommendation for a Quad Hybrid SACD from Audio Fidelity: Elvis Presley - From Elvis In Memphis (although I'd like all of Elvis' Quads to be released on SACD) :)

I think it's been said Elvis will never happen as just the licensing is cost prohibitive. But as great as that album is, the Quad mix is an absolute disaster.
Which is an absolute shame as I'd love to have all the Elvis titles on SACD.

I would love for Audio Fidelity to release some Laura Nyro in QUAD. BTW, do any forum members have any of her SQ albums and if so, care to comment on the quality of the recordings?

Oops......checked the Quadraphonic Discography database and it seems NO Laura Nyro albums were released in SQ. A few years ago, AF did release A Best of Laura Nyro Gold RBCD and it was supposed to be HDCD encoded but unfortunately was NOT.

I think it's been said Elvis will never happen as just the licensing is cost prohibitive. But as great as that album is, the Quad mix is an absolute disaster.
Which is an absolute shame as I'd love to have all the Elvis titles on SACD.

Thanks for letting me know how bad the mix is! It is sad indeed as it's my favourite Elvis album along with That's The Way It Is.

afaik....

- Shock Treatment,
- Jasmine Nightdreams,

- Still Alive And Well,
- Saints And Sinners,
- John Dawson Winter III

- All American Boy,
- Spring Fever.

You would have that SQ LP if it had been released in quad. For sure!

You would have that SQ LP if it had been released in quad. For sure!

Haha.. I would at least have had a damn good try at getting a copy.. what a tremendous shame its vapourware!
Thankfully a reel or twenty slipped out the backdoor and via the hands of a Robin Quadbreast, some lucky folk can get to hear that stuff now.. :eek:

I would love for Audio Fidelity to release some Laura Nyro in QUAD. BTW, do any forum members have any of her SQ albums and if so, care to comment on the quality of the recordings?

Oops......checked the Quadraphonic Discography database and it seems NO Laura Nyro albums were released in SQ. A few years ago, AF did release A Best of Laura Nyro Gold RBCD and it was supposed to be HDCD encoded but unfortunately was NOT.

I have a Laura Nyro track somewhere on an SQ promo (can't remember a thing about it sorry, SQ overload... does not compute.. :D )

There were two attempts at the Lauro Nyro album "Eli & The 13th Confession" which can be found on the Mike Robin reels. One is complete, the other is not and also the mixes are significantly different. Former engineer Jim Reeves claims on his website that he also mixed "Christmas & the Beads of Sweat" to 4-channel but that too remains unreleased and was never found as a Mike Robin reel.

Thanks for letting me know how bad the mix is! It is sad indeed as it's my favourite Elvis album along with That's The Way It Is.

The mix is not horrible, it could simply be that the Q8 suffers from a channel placement error, but if that were the case it would fix all the songs. If you swap channels for one song, the next song that plays will have them all over the place again. If you make it so the bass is front center and drums are back center, on a few songs that will make the backup singers in FL and BR and that too, sounds odd. There's no sense of uniformity to the mixes and I find that disruptive to the music.

Kinda like how a GREAT Quad mix can make even bad music interesting, in this case, the bad mix ruins good music.

I've tried playing around in the digital world to make some sense to the album, but then I found myself getting phase errors that I couldn't overcome. Elvis' vocals are mixed to all four channels, but they (RCA) must have applied some sort of processing to them because if you move them around, you start to get adjacent-channel cancellation. It's a mess and simply screams for a remix. Sadly, the mixes from that Elv1s 5.1 compilation from a few years back doesn't really do the songs justice and is quite front-heavy.

Brian, any word on heavier stuff coming out with AF? I am sure I would purchase the two that you mention but AF seems to be taking a very bland approach to rock music, of course in my opinion. Doesn't need to be screaming Metal gut at least guitar rock. They have done some, Scorpions, Dio, etc, so I know they can.

Do you have any of the "heavier" artists and albums in mind that were mixed in 4.0 or 5 Channel that could be reissued by Audio Fidelity on Multichannel SACD?

As to the artists being released, they do track with the sales of the SACDs. For example, Acoustic Sounds is showing Hearts by America as their #2 selling Multichannel SACD, right behind Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here!
At #6 they show Best of Judy Collins, one spot ahead of Best of the Doors at #7 and Homecoming by America at # 8. So the albums by America and Judy Collins appear to be doing quite well.

That would also explain why Audio Fidelity has issued multiple SACDs by America (Homecoming, Hearts and America).
If it sells on SACD, there will be more from that artist. :)

That would also explain why Audio Fidelity has issued multiple SACDs by America (Homecoming, Hearts and America).
If it sells on SACD, there will be more from that artist. :)

So based on that, is it fair to assume that America's album "Holiday" will also be released as a Multichannel SACD in the future? ;)

Brian, any word on heavier stuff coming out with AF? I am sure I would purchase the two that you mention but AF seems to be taking a very bland approach to rock music, of course in my opinion. Doesn't need to be screaming Metal gut at least guitar rock. They have done some, Scorpions, Dio, etc, so I know they can.

Well AFAIK there's no Scorpions or Dio Quad mixes, but how about "Best of Mountain"? (Mind you, I have no idea how the Quad mix is on that one, but I can imagine it's probably available to Audio Fidelity from Sony if they wanted it.)

Well AFAIK there's no Scorpions or Dio Quad mixes, but how about "Best of Mountain"? (Mind you, I have no idea how the Quad mix is on that one, but I can imagine it's probably available to Audio Fidelity from Sony if they wanted it.)

Splendid idea, RT......we need some Leslie West in QUAD. Ain't NO Mountain High Enough!!!!!!

BTW, I spoke too soon regarding the lack of Laura Nyro in QUAD. Apparently, Eli and the Thirteenth Confession WAS mixed to QUAD but never released .......

This tidbit of info garnered from the Mike Robin Open Reel [the "Secret" stash] article provided by Jon Urban. https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQ-CQ4mr.html

I know that this is a Jeff Beck-related thread, but I just want to let everyone know that after finding out that "Blow By Blow" will now be a Multichannel SACD like "Head Hunters", I decided to email AS/AP and request reissues of both Aerosmith's "Toys in the Attic" and "Toto IV" on Hybrid Multichannel SACD.
There's some others I'm also interested in seeing reissued, but I want to see how this request goes down before requesting more. :)

I know that this is a Jeff Beck-related thread, but I just want to let everyone know that after finding out that "Blow By Blow" will now be a Multichannel SACD like "Head Hunters", I decided to email AS/AP and request reissues of both Aerosmith's "Toys in the Attic" and "Toto IV" on Hybrid Multichannel SACD.
There's some others I'm also interested in seeing reissued, but I want to see how this request goes down before requesting more. :)

Keep us informed, they're both on my wishlist and (of course) I have to pay the jackpot to get them. Thanks for trying :)

Keep us informed, they're both on my wishlist and (of course) I have to pay the jackpot to get them. Thanks for trying :)

Unfortunately what I got back just now was a somewhat canned response. Observe:
Thank you for contacting us. At this time I do not have any information on if we are going to get these titles in stock. I would recommend for you to keep checking in with us hopefully I might have some information on this in the future.

Thank you,

BTW if I would recommend other specific titles besides those, it would be these:
Isley Brothers "3+3"
Marvin Gaye: "Midnight Love"
O'Jays: "Ship Ahoy"
Weather Report: "Mysterious Traveller"

:)

Back