Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SACDs kinda en vogue, one might say the most popular physical disc format for "audiophiles", I guess?

to be fair a hybrid SACD does do everything required by the wider audience including us Quad lot too in one disc (CD for the car, Hi-Res Stereo, Hi-Res Surround.. totally headless operation.. etc.

although at this point gotta say I just want these Quads reissued almost don't care about the format that much anymore, so long as it's comparable to CD quality but in discrete 4.0/5.1 surround. :eek:

edit: still chuckling at the prospect of hearing that Tower Of Power Quad in great quality discrete surround sound very soon - at last! no more SQ records or 8 tracks to hold that baby back..! there ain't bugger all Stoppin it now! :music

"to be fair a hybrid SACD does do everything required by the wider audience including us Quad lot too in one disc (CD for the car, Hi-Res Stereo, Hi-Res Surround.. totally headless operation.. etc. " What's wrong with this statement? Why do we need CD for the car? Us QUADDIES need to start hammering the equipment manufacturers for SACD/DVD-A/BR head ends/players for the car!!!! I'm tired of not being able to play them in the car!

"to be fair a hybrid SACD does do everything required by the wider audience including us Quad lot too in one disc (CD for the car, Hi-Res Stereo, Hi-Res Surround.. totally headless operation.. etc. " What's wrong with this statement? Why do we need CD for the car? Us QUADDIES need to start hammering the equipment manufacturers for SACD/DVD-A/BR head ends/players for the car!!!! I'm tired of not being able to play them in the car!

well quite! lets hear it for more surround in more cars! :steering:

well quite! lets hear it for more surround in more cars! :steering:

I create DVD-Vs with DTS for playback in both cars (of SACD rips)... A bit work, but works a treat...:steering:

Looking forward to these SACD titles...

It's interesting with so many labels delaying SACDs because of supposed pressing plant delays that Dutton Vocalion managed to get a whole bunch released almost simultaneously.

It's interesting with so many labels delaying SACDs because of supposed pressing plant delays that Dutton Vocalion managed to get a whole bunch released almost simultaneously.

A few reasons why:

They release a block of titles a few times a year and without any previous announcements, so no build up anticipation for their customers. They only announce their upcoming titles once these are in actual production at the pressing plant, not in the early pre-production stages like most other reissue companies, which avoids disappointment in case of production delays. Very smart way of thinking.

A few reasons why:

They release a block of titles a few times a year and without any previous announcements, so no build up anticipation for their customers. They only announce their upcoming titles once these are in actual production at the pressing plant, not in the early pre-production stages like most other reissue companies, which avoids disappointment in case of production delays. Very smart way of thinking.

Very similar to Audio Fidelity's approach of announcing new SACDs just before they ship.

The Hugo Montenegro Quad albums (and mixes) were designed to show off the capabilities of Discrete Surround Sound.
And they do.

It's why they were on my request list to Dutton Vocalion after the first set of Multichannel SACDs were issued.
Nice to see more of them arrive on Multichannel SACD. :)

Thanks, Brian. Great suggestion. Now if you could only wave that magic wand again and convince D~V to reissue the QUAD of Gil Evans Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix [The QUAD of Gil Evan's Svengali was released on the Atlantic label, unfortunately]

Thanks, Brian. Great suggestion. Now if you could only wave that magic wand again and convince D~V to reissue the QUAD of Gil Evans Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix [The QUAD of Gil Evan's Svengali was released on the Atlantic label, unfortunately]

Warner / Atlantic labels are not a problem with getting quad masters licensed. This assumption seems to get repeated often. The issue with Warner Music Group and their vaults are pretty straight forward. None of their modern 5.1 mixes are open for consideration. Of their vintage quad masters, there seems to be a good percentage of them that are off limits due to the artist or manager not interested, or the asking price is high, too high in fact. But the Warners (quad) vaults have been open to AF on a half-dozen occasions already. I expect more quad stuff from WMG, both in-house produced sets, and licensed audiophile product.

The Gil Evans - Svengali, would be an amazing release in quad, I would also like the Charles Mingus - Mingus Moods, fantastic recording and an underrated album in his catalog.

If they're moving into the old Columbia catalog, that's also a very good sign. And the price on these discs is HALF what Audio Fidelity was charging! That was pretty shocking - I guess licensing costs are less in the UK? I just bought three for under 40 quid including shipping. I really can't complain about that. Hopefully, they can dig their heels into the Columbia catalog and bring us some serious titles from Edgar Winter, The Raiders, Janis Joplin, even some Mac Davis or the Wild Cherry title. I'd even be down for some Santana.... or maybe they could dig up some more unreleased stuff?

The mind boggles!

I just ordered the Tower Of Power and Main Ingredient discs as my initial foray into Dutton Vocalion's catalogue. I am hoping to be able to afford more in a few weeks as I have some of them on LP already. I love the current price, a bit less than the AF discs, but wish the VAT had been removed. I would like to know why it isn't being removed as any other internet purchase I have made has had it subtracted from my totals.

More than that, a couple of them are real (imho) reference surround.. its incredible to think that Michel Legrand Quad - relatively obscure as it is - has kinda gone largely unnoticed and unloved for the last what is it 42 years or something.. it was apparently released in both the States and Japan in Dbl SQ LP form.. and I've spotted a couple of QQ-ers have said in past posts they have it but wow its a tough one to find, still not found a copy anywhere and i've been scouring the globe (online only of course :eek: ) for many months now, just about everything else has come along in some shape or form but not the Legrand! maybe I've been looking in the wrong places.. I don't have Japanese connections like our Barbeque Bill and Circular Vibes Matthew! :D

Fred, my Japanese source isn't a secret, nor is it difficult. I simply peruse the Japanese Yahoo auctions, their equivalent to eBay, and purchase through Buyee.jp, a proxy bidding service. For some reason, Japanese sellers almost always refuse to deal with foreign buyers, hence the need for proxy services. I checked out a few and Buyee was the cheapest and I have been really impressed and happy with them. As to buying from any Japanese record shops, I haven't found any yet that specifically deal with quad LP's.

I have been following this thread with interest. I am pleasantly surprised there is so much interest in MOR/easy listening discs. My purchase will allow me to keep my copy of Euphrates River on CD4 sealed. Now, if I could just afford to get a newer Oppo to get the newer features that my BDP-83 lack. It is a combination of great surround titles that are affordable and having an Oppo that have swayed me away from being pure analogue.

ps, Fred, please keep up the witty banter, it helps keep my mood up.:spot

If they're moving into the old Columbia catalog, that's also a very good sign. And the price on these discs is HALF what Audio Fidelity was charging! That was pretty shocking - I guess licensing costs are less in the UK? I just bought three for under 40 quid including shipping. I really can't complain about that. Hopefully, they can dig their heels into the Columbia catalog and bring us some serious titles from Edgar Winter, The Raiders, Janis Joplin, even some Mac Davis or the Wild Cherry title. I'd even be down for some Santana.... or maybe they could dig up some more unreleased stuff?

The mind boggles!

which titles did you buy Darrin?
(if you don't mind me asking! :eek: )

SOOOOOOO hope DV can get that Wild Cherry Quad out btw,
another one of my most played Quads by far.

Just ordered The Tower Of Power & The Main Ingredient SACDs - its funny how as I've aged I've liked more of what I dismissed as 'Disco' in the 70s! Mind you I've always liked The Isley's & Issac Hayes :)

funny you should mention disco in Quad, Duncan.. got to say if Dutton Vocalion can pull off some more miracles I'll go love crazy for them! Ha! :p

there's so much wonderful 70's Soul, Funk and R&B in Quad, including quite a few later Columbia Quads of Soul/R&B that if DV can get them out (most of those are pretty hard to get on SQ and some nigh on impossible to get on Q8 afaik) I think might turn a lot of people who don't know them onto these acts and albums (the Quad mixes from a surround point of view on some of them are superb too).. now that DV have done the unthinkable and got the Tower Of Power Quad out I hope hope hope they can work their magic on some of these!

Billy Paul: 360 Degrees, War Of The Gods,
Brecker Brothers: Back To Back,
B. T. Express: Energy To Burn,
Earth Wind & Fire: That's The Way Of The World, Spirit,
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes: Black & Blue, Wake Up Everybody,
Hues Corporation: Rockin Soul,
Isaac Hayes: Joy, Shaft, Tough Guys, Truck Turner,
Isley Brothers: Live It Up, Heat Is On, Harvest For The World, Go For Your Guns,
Johnnie Taylor: Eargasm, Rated Extraordinaire,
Johnny Mathis: I'm Coming Home,
Labelle: Phoenix,
Manhattans: Feels So Good,
MFSB: Love Is The Message, Philadelphia Freedom,
Minnie Riperton: Adventures In Paradise, Perfect Angel,
Miracles: Love Crazy,
O'Jays: Survival, Family Reunion, Message In The Music,
Staple Singers: Be What You Are,
Wild Cherry: Electrified Funk

If its Soul/Funk/Blues I'll buy it! Some O'Jays would be really good. But if it gets Saturday Night Fever Disco like I'll run a mile :ugham: I went out with a girl who wanted to see that so we went - I had hair half way down my back in those days, so you can imagine how much I liked that film :yikes ...... Still hate it!

funny you should mention disco in Quad, Duncan.. got to say if Dutton Vocalion can pull off some more miracles I'll go love crazy for them! Ha! :p

there's so much wonderful 70's Soul, Funk and R&B in Quad, including quite a few later Columbia Quads of Soul/R&B that if DV can get them out (most of those are pretty hard to get on SQ and some nigh on impossible to get on Q8 afaik) I think might turn a lot of people who don't know them onto these acts and albums (the Quad mixes from a surround point of view on some of them are superb too).. now that DV have done the unthinkable and got the Tower Of Power Quad out I hope hope hope they can work their magic on some of these!

Isley Brothers: Live It Up, Heat Is On, Harvest For The World, Go For Your Guns,

But the Warners (quad) vaults have been open to AF on a half-dozen occasions already.

Audio Fidelity has also licensed 5.1 Surround titles from Warner for their Multichannel SACDs.
Titles like Breezin' by George Benson, Homecoming by America and Winelight by Grover Washington, Jr. are examples.

Audio Fidelity has also licensed 5.1 Surround titles from Warner for their Multichannel SACDs.
Titles like Breezin' by George Benson, Homecoming by America and Winelight by Grover Washington, Jr. are examples.

Yes, I know. I was told those squeaked through early on before the 5.1 door slammed tightly shut.

You would have thought that Isaac Hayes - Shaft quad would have been out by now. Big hit album, hit song, artist's major seller, and Fantasy/Concord usually agreeable to licensing.

But when I stop and think about it, has there ever been a Stax/Fantasy quad album reissued in the modern era? I can think of none. Or a CTI for that matter?

The mind boggles!

I'm thinking that Hugo Montenegro, Floyd Cramer, Manicni, and Como are simply much less costly to license than the hot rock stuff many of us want. I don't know how they do it, but if Dutton Vocalion can do jazz and rock stuff with the ease of the easy listening catalog, then their business model is pure gold.

I know Bear Family can do those big boxes with several 26 track discs, and it works in Germany where it would not in the US. So maybe that is the deal with 2-fers. 2-fers on quad SACD should be all the rage this coming year.

Does anyone on this forum have the inside track with these guys? That would be amazing. Oh, and thanks to the OP who posted about this stuff.....oddly, he doesn't really post much if at all....so again, thanks. :)

You would have thought that Isaac Hayes - Shaft quad would have been out by now. Big hit album, hit song, artist's major seller, and Fantasy/Concord usually agreeable to licensing.

But when I stop and think about it, has there ever been a Stax/Fantasy quad album reissued in the modern era? I can think of none. Or a CTI for that matter?

A list of Concord Records released in 5.1 courtesy of HRAudio.net: https://www.hraudio.net/search.php?format=0&keywords=Concord+Records

Monster Music also released a few DTS 5.1 Concord/Fantasy releases as well......most notably a Charlie Brown Christmas (Vince Guaraldi). https://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Christmas-David-Benoit/dp/B000BPFBW6 and https://www.amazon.com/Vince-Guaral...+brown+Christmas+Monster+Music&tag=acleint-20

AFAIK, NO CTI has been released in QUAD on 5" physical discs.......a REAL shame, IMO.

Back