Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to change the subject but I can confirm that Ray Conniff Theme From SWAT and Other TV Themes did indeed come out on Q8. It was one of those late to arrive titles.

Sorry to change the subject but I can confirm that Ray Conniff Theme From SWAT and Other TV Themes did indeed come out on Q8. It was one of those late to arrive titles.

ahh.. better late than never! ;)

..tell you what, I had a tough time finding Conniff's SWAT Theme & Send In The Clowns SQ LPs, I had to resort to New Zealand Quad versions for them both (neither of which are great pressings tbh but still)

these two would make a great Dutton Vocalion Surround SACD 2-fer! :upthumb

Kiwi Kwad Klowns

NZ SQ SWAT

some Quad suggestions for Dutton Vocalion.. :eek:

(potential 2-fers in italics)

A&M:
Billy Preston: Music Is My Life,
Captain & Tennille : Love Will Keep Us Together,
Carpenters : A Song For You, Carpenters, Close To You, Horizon, Singles, Then & Now,
Cat Stevens : Buddha & The Chocolate Box, Catch Bull At Four, Foreigner, G Hits, Tea For The Tillerman, Teaser & The Firecat,
Chuck Mangione : Bellavia, Chase The Clouds Away (2-fer),
Joan Baez: Come From The Shadows, Diamonds & Rust,
Quincy Jones : Body Heat, Mellow Madness, Walking On The Moon, You've Got It Bad Girl (2 x 2-fers),

ABC/Command:
B.B. King : Friends,
Four Tops : Keeper Of The Castle, Main Street People, Meeting Of The Minds,
Grass Roots : 16 G.Hits,
Jim Croce: I Got A Name, Life & Times, Photographs & Memories, You Don't Mess Around With Jim,
Joe Walsh : The Smoker You Get..,
Rufus Ft. Chaka Khan : Rags To Rufus, Rufusized (2-fer),
Steely Dan : Can't Buy A Thrill, Countdown To Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic,
Three Dog Night : Coming Down Your Way, Hard Labor (2-fer),

Arista:
Barry Manilow : II, This One's For You, Trying' To Get The Feeling,
Brecker Brothers : Back To Back,
Eric Carmen : S/T,
Melissa Manchester : Better Days & Happy Endings, S/T (2-fer),

Avco/Motown:
Diana Ross : ALL,
Jacksons : BOTH,
Marvin Gaye : ALL,
Supremes : ALL,
Stylistics : ALL,
Temptations : ALL,

Columbia/Epic/PIR/T-Neck/Stax:
Andy Williams : ALL,
Art Garfunkel : Angel Clare/Breakaway (2-fer),
Azteca,
Billy Joel : Piano Man, Turnstiles,
Billy Paul : ALL,
Blood Sweat & Tears : Mirror Image/New City (2-fer),
Bob Dylan : Nashville Skyline, Desire,
BT Express : Energy To Burn,
Burton Cummings,
Charlie Rich : ALL,
Chase : S/T, Pure Music (2-fer),
Dave Mason : ALL,
David Essex : Rock On,
Earth Wind & Fire : Spirit, That's The Way Of The World,
Edgar Winter : ALL,
Harold Melvin : Black & Blue, Wake Up Everybody (2-fer),
Herbie Hancock : Sextant, Secrets (2-fer),
Isaac Hayes : ALL,
Isley Brothers : ALL,
Janis Ian : Aftertones, Between The Lines (2-fer),
Janis Joplin : Pearl,
Johnnie Taylor : Eargasm, Rated Extraordiniare (2-fer),
Johnny Mathis : ALL,
Johnny Nash : My Merry Go Round,
Johnny Winter : ALL,
Kris Kristofferson : ALL,
Labelle : Phoenix,
Liza Minnelli : The Singer,
Loggins & Messina : Native Sons,
Lou Rawls - Unmistakably Lou (prev. unreleased),
Lynn Anderson : Hits, Rose Garden,
Mac Davis : ALL (2-fers if the 1976 unreleased Quad exists and is available?),
Manhattans : Feels So Good,
Maynard Ferguson : Conquistador,
MFSB : Love Is The Message, Philadelphia Freedom (2-fer),
Minnie Riperton : Adventures In Paradise, Perfect Angel (2-fer),
Miracles : Love Crazy,
Mountain : Avalanche, Best Of (2-fer),
Neil Diamond : Serenade, Beautiful Noise (2-fer; 1 prev unreleased),
O'Jays : ALL,
Paul Simon : ALL,
Percy Faith : ALL (2-fers),
Phoebe Snow : Second Childhood,
Poco : ALL (Cantamos & Seven as a 2-fer?),
Ray Conniff : ALL (2-fers),
Ray Stevens : Both (2-fer),
Redbone : Message From A Drum, Beaded Dreams Thru Turquoise Eyes (2-fer),
REO Speedwagon : Lost In A Dream, This Time We Mean It (2-fer),
Return To Forever : Musicmagic,
Rick Derringer : All American Boy, Spring Fever (2-fer),
Santana : ALL,
Sly Stone : High On You, Small Talk (2-fer),
Tammy Wynette : We Go Together (w/George Jones), We Sure Do Love Each Other (2-fer),
Weather Report : Mysterious Traveller, Tale Spinnin' (2-fer),
Wendy Carlos : Switched On Bach,
West Bruce & Laing : Whatever Turns You On, Why Donchya (2-fer),
Wild Cherry : Electrified Funk

Fantasy/Prestige:
ALL 6 (incl CCR Gold)

Hi:
Al Green : ALL,

Ode:
Carole King : Music,

RCA:
(I don't know the majority of these titles.. but I'm sure there are loads suitable! :eek: )

Vanguard:
Buffy Sainte Marie x 2,
Joan Baez x 2,
Larry Coryell: ALL

Warner/Reprise/Elektra/Atlantic:
Average White Band,
Bette Midler : Divine Miss M.,
Carly Simon : ALL,
David Gates : First, Never Let Her Go,
Dionne Warwicke : Then Came You,
Donny Hathaway : Extension Of A Man,
Doobies : Toulouse St., Captain & Me, Vices, Stampede,
Eagles : On The Border, One Of These Nights,
Gordon Lightfoot : Cold On The Shoulder, Sundown,
Graham Central Station : S/T, Ain't No Bout A Doubt It,
Herbie Mann : Hold On I'm Comin', Reggae,
James Taylor : Gorilla, One Man Dog,
Joni Mitchell : ALL,
Randy Newman : Both,
Roberta Flack : Killing Me Softly,
Seals & Crofts : ALL,
Sergio Mendes,
Sinatra : ALL,
Spinners : S/T, New & Improved, Pick Of The Litter,
Stardrive

oops.. some of those I suggested as 2-fers wouldn't work as 2-fers since both albums wouldn't fit within CD run time limits! my bad :eek: oh well, loads for DV to be ruminating on if they ever get to see my ramblings :D

I think some of the Guess Who Quads could be nice. :)

Muuuuuusssssssicccccccccioneeeee without the ssssssandpaper would be nice (great album is Guess Who's 10 ) I give 10 = 11 (out of 10.)

"glamour boy... for thirty seven hundred dollars you can look like your sister tonight.."

Burton Cummings = Genius Crumbs By The Ton
(sort of an anagram)

Muuuuuusssssssicccccccccioneeeee without the ssssssandpaper would be nice (great album is Guess Who's 10 ) I give 10 = 11 (out of 10.)

"glamour boy... for thirty seven hundred dollars you can look like your sister tonight.."

Burton Cummings = Genius Crumbs By The Ton
(sort of an anagram)

Now Waaaaaaaiiiiittttt just a minute. I think you and Snoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood went to the same spelling school. :banana:

Now Waaaaaaaiiiiittttt just a minute. I think you and Snoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood went to the same spelling school. :banana:

haha.. me love a Snood :eek:

ps(sssss). the ciccccccione bit is to replicate the sssssandpaper effect of a clapped out CD-4 sssssetup, sssssssuch as I am currently experiencccccccing with cccccccertain dissssssscssss.. ;)

anyway, back to DV suggestions:

Hues Corporation Quads x 2 please?

Rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby! :banana:

haha.. me love a Snood :eek:

ps(sssss). the ciccccccione bit is to replicate the sssssandpaper effect of a clapped out CD-4 sssssetup, sssssssuch as I am currently experiencccccccing with cccccccertain dissssssscssss.. ;)

anyway, back to DV suggestions:

Hues Corporation Quads x 2 please?

Rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby! :banana:

Perhaps the chap who invented those early CD~4 demodulators was a former house painter and couldn't get that sandpaper sound out of his bloody noggin?

Perhaps the chap who invented those early CD~4 demodulators was a former house painter and couldn't get that sandpaper sound out of his bloody noggin?

Unless the record is mangled or you don't know how to properly set up a demodulator, the problem is most likely caused by a person trying to force a marginal (OK, cheap) phono cartridge to 'enjoy' CD-4 playback. It has nothing to do with the demodulator itself.

Unless the record is mangled or you don't know how to properly set up a demodulator, the problem is most likely caused by a person trying to force a marginal (OK, cheap) phono cartridge to 'enjoy' CD-4 playback. It has nothing to do with the demodulator itself.

I was joking, basically, but having lived through the introduction and demise of RCA's doomed 'dynaflex' 'experiment I not so fondly remember how atrocious ALL RCA pressings were (QUAD and NON QUAD) and the VERY bad press surrounding Dynaflex from the audio mags of the time. IMO, it hastened cassette's ascension and other tape based formats.

If they produced 180/200g SQ/QS and CD~4 vinyl at that time, I'm sure it would be a different animal and QUAD might've survived, but, alas, so NOT the case!

As I've mentioned before on other posts and it was NO secret at the time, a lot of record companies were melting down returned/unsold vinyl WITH THE LABEL INTACT and re~using it to repress other titles which as we all know caused unnecessary inclusions [read ticks/pops/swishes]. Thus, the advent of 'Virgin Vinyl' was a godsend but was mainly utilized by upstart boutique record companies (Sheffield Labs direct to disc comes to mind).

But I'm sure we're somewhat ALL in agreement that nothing equals the sound of a hi res physical disc created utilizing the original master analogue tapes but as we all know......only a fraction of those old QUADS will ever be released to the general public as physical hi res discs and those long OOP SQ/QS/CD~4 Vinyl discs will probably be the only means to ever hear them again.

Hopefully, if this next batch of D~V QUADs sell well and they diversify their releases to include more POP/ROCK/JAZZ titles that will hopefully diminish the pool of unreleased QUAD selections. Fingers doubly crossed :banana::banana:

I was joking, basically, but having lived through the introduction and demise of RCA's doomed 'dynaflex' 'experiment I not so fondly remember how atrocious ALL RCA pressings were (QUAD and NON QUAD) and the VERY bad press surrounding Dynaflex from the audio mags of the time. IMO, it hastened cassette's ascension and other tape based formats.

If they produced 180/200g SQ/QS and CD~4 vinyl at that time, I'm sure it would be a different animal and QUAD might've survived, but, alas, so NOT the case!

As I've mentioned before on other posts and it was NO secret at the time, a lot of record companies were melting down returned/unsold vinyl WITH THE LABEL INTACT and re~using it to repress other titles which as we all know caused unnecessary inclusions [read ticks/pops/swishes]. Thus, the advent of 'Virgin Vinyl' was a godsend but was mainly utilized by upstart boutique record companies (Sheffield Labs direct to disc comes to mind).

But I'm sure we're somewhat ALL in agreement that nothing equals the sound of a hi res physical disc created utilizing the original master analogue tapes but as we all know......only a fraction of those old QUADS will ever be released to the general public as physical hi res discs and those long OOP SQ/QS/CD~4 Vinyl discs will probably be the only means to ever hear them again.

I know you were joking, but I have seen way too many time-wasting "I bought this (insert shitty cartridge model here) because the specs say that it 'should' handle CD-4 playback" threads ... and the last thing they will believe is that they wasted their time and money on a crappy cartridge because they were too cheap to do it right in the first place.

From my recollection though, JVC Quadradisk vinyl was virgin (and 1/2-speed mastered) ... and it paved the way for 'audiophile' LPs like Brad Miller's Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (he started out releasing CD-4 sound effect Quadradisks). Shibata styli also paved the way for today's fine line and hyper-elliptical shapes. Audiophiles owe a lot to early quaddies.

I know you were joking, but I have seen way too many time-wasting "I bought this (insert shitty cartridge model here) because the specs say that it 'should' handle CD-4 playback" threads ... and the last thing they will believe is that they wasted their time and money on a crappy cartridge because they were too cheap to do it right in the first place.

From my recollection though, JVC Quadradisk vinyl was virgin (and 1/2-speed mastered) ... and it paved the way for 'audiophile' LPs like Brad Miller's Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (he started out releasing CD-4 sound effect Quadradisks). Shibata styli also paved the way for today's fine line and hyper-elliptical shapes. Audiophiles owe a lot to early quaddies.

I agree with Mike. My early CD-4 experiences were all great. I started with one of the Pickering quad cartridges with the brush attached (XUV-4500) and a JVC demodulator (4-DD5). That combo worked great with RCA's and WB's and made me a real CD-4 fan, and in turn an anti-matrix guy. I feel this way to this very day.

I know that SQ has it's fans, but really, the modern SACDs of Columbia quads from AF and Sony clearly show how shitty the SQ system was, so crappy that Columbia did not release quad reels for fear of exposing the horrible performance of the pre-Tate/S&IC decoders. Even today, with a Tate or a SM, an SQ album can not come close to the master reel, where a CD-4 LP played back with proper equipment can in fact approach that of a quad reel. (i.e. "Black Water")

I agree with Mike. My early CD-4 experiences were all great. I started with one of the Pickering quad cartridges with the brush attached (XUV-4500) and a JVC demodulator (4-DD5). That combo worked great with RCA's and WB's and made me a real CD-4 fan, and in turn an anti-matrix guy. I feel this way to this very day.

I know that SQ has it's fans, but really, the modern SACDs of Columbia quads from AF and Sony clearly show how shitty the SQ system was, so crappy that Columbia did not release quad reels for fear of exposing the horrible performance of the pre-Tate/S&IC decoders. Even today, with a Tate or a SM, an SQ album can not come close to the master reel, where a CD-4 LP played back with proper equipment can in fact approach that of a quad reel. (i.e. "Black Water")

I never had the luck that you had Jon with CD~4 back in the day but do agree the discrete CD~4 was the superior way to go but when I heard D~V's QUAD SACDs last year on my system with NO distortion of any kind, strings on the Floyd Cramer QUADS sounding uncannily silky smooth, I do feel that even the best of the discrete vinyl systems would fall far short of this replication because even a single tick or pop or swish would drive me insane (sorry....those sounds do NOT exist in nature).

I did have the JVC demodulator and a Shibata cartridge but NEVER remotely experienced the sensation of hearing the equivalent of current AF or D~V's magnificent SACD QUAD conversions but of course one cannot compare the early receivers of the early 70's to the separates available today.

There is of course the possibility [probability] that my turntable wasn't properly set up but all I remember is returning tons of vinyl (especially the Angel SQ QUAD vinyl) to my local E J Korvettes for exchange or replacement...and I was hardly alone in that respect.

The vinyl today is certainly of better quality and the turntables/cartridges have vastly improved but I'm so heavily invested in digital that I don't have the slightest inkling to ever return to vinyl.....but wholly respect those who do...or have.

And if you played CD-4 discs with a top notch demodulator like JVC's CD4-50, the CD-4 discs were very impressive! :)

well it could be the record of course, though it was sold as VG+ and I wouldn't argue with that in principle (I know the seller, bought loads off them, long time Quad guy, took care of their records, etc.. the vinyl looks like pretty nice under my LED torch and sounds great in 2-ch).. the demodulator could be the cause and I'm open to that as had lot of problems with the two JVC units I picked up to date (one now doesn't seem to demodulate the Left channels at all.. but then I've like 60 or something CD-4 records that demodulate sans sandpaper, including a couple that look a bit knackered but no distortion upon demodulation).. oh and the carts an AT440MLb which members here with seemingly pretty solid CD-4 knowledge reckon is up to the task.

ah well, I'll just buy another copy of the Guess Who 10 when an NM or VG++ (!) one comes up (sealed could be good too) it worked for Feliciano's Compartments & Jimmy Castor Bunch, 1 copy apiece = sandy, 2nd copy in each case = dandy.

anyway, we should probably get back on topic, just wanted to briefly give a few details in light of your post.

Somewhat OT:

Anyone know why these aren't available as DVD-Video/DVD-Audio discs
(DVD-Video as Region 0 in 525/60 (US Analog TV Standard))?

The DVD-Video could possibly offer both Dolby Digital 4.0 and DTS 4.0
soundtracks.

Kirk Bayne

I never had the luck that you had Jon with CD~4 back in the day but do agree the discrete CD~4 was the superior way to go but when I heard D~V's QUAD SACDs last year on my system with NO distortion of any kind, strings on the Floyd Cramer QUADS sounding uncannily silky smooth, I do feel that even the best of the discrete vinyl systems would fall far short of this replication because even a single tick or pop or swish would drive me insane (sorry....those sounds do NOT exist in nature).......

No argument from me on this one. CD-4 doesn't hold a candle to a real SACD or DVD-A from the master tapes, no way.

I would say:

1) BluRay Audio/SACD/DVD-A
2a) DTS-CD
2b) Q4/Q8 (Q8 for separation, not audio quality)
3) CD-4
4) QS/SQ
5) Q8 (for audio quality)

Somewhat OT:

Anyone know why these aren't available as DVD-Video/DVD-Audio discs
(DVD-Video as Region 0 in 525/60 (US Analog TV Standard))?

The DVD-Video could possibly offer both Dolby Digital 4.0 and DTS 4.0
soundtracks.

Kirk Bayne

SACDs kinda en vogue, one might say the most popular physical disc format for "audiophiles", I guess?

to be fair a hybrid SACD does do everything required by the wider audience including us Quad lot too in one disc (CD for the car, Hi-Res Stereo, Hi-Res Surround.. totally headless operation.. etc.

although at this point gotta say I just want these Quads reissued almost don't care about the format that much anymore, so long as it's comparable to CD quality but in discrete 4.0/5.1 surround. :eek:

edit: still chuckling at the prospect of hearing that Tower Of Power Quad in great quality discrete surround sound very soon - at last! no more SQ records or 8 tracks to hold that baby back..! there ain't bugger all Stoppin it now! :music

No argument from me on this one. CD-4 doesn't hold a candle to a real SACD or DVD-A from the master tapes, no way.

I would say:

1) BluRay Audio/SACD/DVD-A
2a) DTS-CD
2b) Q4/Q8 (Q8 for separation, not audio quality)
3) CD-4
4) QS/SQ
5) Q8 (for audio quality)

love those Brad Miller DTS CDs.. sacrilige to some I imagine but personally would have been quite happy if the industry had stuck with them for Quad reissues and the like and that the needless DVD-A & SACD format war never happened.. ensuing confusion and cock ups of Sony & Warners bloody mindedness rather than one side bury the hatchet did nothing but scupper surrounds chances even further imho.. blah blah rant rant etc! :D

anyway, as we all know, despite all that crap somehow surround survived, as did SACD unbelievably.. and here we are with almost more new surround releases on SACD/DVD-A/BD-A than we can handle! Hooray and Happy Fluckin Xmas! :smokin

Back