Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LONG overdue: these 4 Harry Nilsson QUAD releases and might I add .... Nilsson Sings [Randy] Newman which was a stereo only release

HARRY NILSSON -
Duit On Mon Dei. RCA APD1-0817 (CD4), APT1-0817 (Q8)
Nilsson Schmilsson. RCA APD1-0319 (CD4), EPQ1-0319-QF (QR),
PQ8-1734 (Q8), R4P-5052 (CD4) [Japan]
Pussy Cats. RCA APD1-0570 (CD4), APT1-0570 (Q8), RCA R4P-5081 (CD4)
[Japan]
Sandman. RCA APD1-1031 (CD4), APT1-1031 (Q8)

R.71d38e8defdbfe30c3e296d533f20901

The rest of the BTO's would be nice. A dual 2-fer of Nillsson would be very cool.
I'd be curious about a Harry Belafonte release. The Carnegie Concert, the unreleased "Play Me" but there's also a "Live in Japan" concert that came out on Quadradisc over there. I still wouldn't mind some of the Jose Feliciano's, either.

Well, I can say that some of the upcoming titles that I've helped out on are in the pictures that @fredblue posted (he loves to get his ellpees out for the lads) ...and some of them aren't! 👀
If Piano Man, Bridge Over Troubled Water, and/or Switched-On Bach are in that upcoming group I will be pretty, pretty pleased! I wish we'd get an announcement. Oh the suspense!

I have asked several times about the possibility of certain albums or artists getting the quad SACD treatment (as have others), but DV never responds to requests with answers why they can or can't. I would think if they responded, it would cut down their emails (especially from us). And we could post those responses here on our web page.

One of the many Quads that have been asked for (myself included) has been Jim Croce. I just noticed a new issuing of his album "I got a name" for it's 50th anniversary. Previously here on QQ it was said that his widow has and controls the tapes. However, this new version is on BMG (Sony) , not the original now-defunct ABC (UME). Maybe they have the Quads, and no longer his wife? Or maybe that was never the truth? Can it be investigated? Inquiring minds want to know!

I have asked several times about the possibility of certain albums or artists getting the quad SACD treatment (as have others), but DV never responds to requests with answers why they can or can't. I would think if they responded, it would cut down their emails (especially from us). And we could post those responses here on our web page.

One of the many Quads that have been asked for (myself included) has been Jim Croce. I just noticed a new issuing of his album "I got a name" for it's 50th anniversary. Previously here on QQ it was said that his widow has and controls the tapes. However, this new version is on BMG (Sony) , not the original now-defunct ABC (UME). Maybe they have the Quads, and no longer his wife? Or maybe that was never the truth? Can it be investigated? Inquiring minds want to know!
His stuff hasn't been with ABC since around 1975, IIRC. It moved to Cashman and West's label "Lifesong" and then Ingrid got the rights to it after a long legal dispute with them sometime in the 80s. She has been licensing the albums to various labels over the years. Whether that is the case with the new BMG release, or whether she sold the catalogue to them? I have no idea.

Whether the quad masters would have made all those moves? Possibly, but also possible they were forgotten/discarded somewhere along the way. ABC quad stuff doesn't seem to have been very well preserved, if at all.

Oh Michael, if you dont hurry up soon with a new slew of DV quads we are all going to be out of money and unable to make more purchases this year. Quadio SDE and CDJapan have gone to the head of the line for our money.
What are you waiting for......

Speaking of ABC, I'm beginning to wonder what has survived. I've been watching some Youtube videos lately about Iron Mountain and Work in the Audio Industry.... and even these videos show tapes that we'd previously thought to be vapourware. The dude who visited Iron Mountain held several original Buddy Holly tapes in his hands, and another video was shown using original Record Plant-labelled tapes featuring Steely Dan on them..... and they weren't copies!

So, I'm starting to think some ABC Records stuff has survived.
Which, would be awesome because there's a few albums from them that would be great to have in a modern format.

Speaking of ABC, I'm beginning to wonder what has survived. I've been watching some Youtube videos lately about Iron Mountain and Work in the Audio Industry.... and even these videos show tapes that we'd previously thought to be vapourware. The dude who visited Iron Mountain held several original Buddy Holly tapes in his hands, and another video was shown using original Record Plant-labelled tapes featuring Steely Dan on them..... and they weren't copies!

Which, would be awesome because there's a few albums from them that would be great to have in a modern format.
From the beginning--even when the NYT piece was published--we knew that the SD multis were safe in Iron Mountain. What's less clear is whether original SD stereo masters (and/or quad masters, etc.) survived. As for outtakes, alternate takes, worktapes, etc.: as I understand it, most such material had been destroyed long before the Universal fire--at Becker and Fagen's explicit direction. If anything like that is out there, it's in the form of safeties, production masters, or clandestine copies made by junior engineers.

In a YouTube video, Mike from Phoenix(The In Groove) said he bought a bunch of reels from Ed Michel. Maybe he got some quad masters or backups?

From the beginning--even when the NYT piece was published--we knew that the SD multis were safe in Iron Mountain. What's less clear is whether original SD stereo masters (and/or quad masters, etc.) survived. As for outtakes, alternate takes, worktapes, etc.: as I understand it, most such material had been destroyed long before the Universal fire--at Becker and Fagen's explicit direction. If anything like that is out there, it's in the form of safeties, production masters, or clandestine copies made by junior engineers.

Ugh. Just tried to find the video but I can't recall (I spend way too much time on Youtube) but they were playing the stereo master of the "Aja" album but they did not show the box for it, so it may be a copy. What blew my mind was the tour of Iron Mountain and they had the ORIGINAL, literally the actual tape Buddy Holly handled in late '58 and early '59 that contained the undubbed "Apartment tapes". I was under the impression that stuff burned in 2008.

Back