Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if Leonard Bernstein's 1976 recording of the Berlioz Requiem (aka the original quadraphonic work from 1837) for Columbia was ever mixed to quad? I didn't see one on Discogs, but there is a concert film of the same in DTS 6.1 which people aren't fans of. Could be an interesting opportunity for a MJD mix if it doesn't already exist.

Does anyone know if Leonard Bernstein's 1976 recording of the Berlioz Requiem (aka the original quadraphonic work from 1837) for Columbia was ever mixed to quad? I didn't see one on Discogs, but there is a concert film of the same in DTS 6.1 which people aren't fans of. Could be an interesting opportunity for a MJD mix if it doesn't already exist.

It's as good a candidate as any for having an unreleased quad mix, as the stereo version was mixed by Ray Moore, who mixed more Columbia Masterworks quads than anyone else at the label.

Looking through the Masterworks quad discography, I'm surprised they didn't release any version of Berlioz's Requiem in quad, because it seemed like they tried to do at least one version of most of the well-known classical works in quad. As to why not, you're only left to guess - they released a lot of Bernstein quad in that '74-'78 period so maybe they felt like the release calendar was already too oversaturated, maybe they felt that late in the day (late '76) that the market wasn't there for it, or maybe they felt another label's quad release of the album was definitive, like the Abravanel Vaguard version.

I am surprised, however, that they didn't simply issue it as a single-inventory release - Requiem is M 34202, and the titles sequentially before and after it (M 34201 Dukas' La Peri and M 34205 Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue piano roll) were both single-inventory quads, and coincidentally both have been reissued by Dutton Epoch. It makes you wonder if there was some technical issue that precluded it being a single-inventory release, either SQ compliance problems, or simply that the SQ encode didn't sound good in stereo.

Even if it wasn't released in quad you'd have to imagine that they at least recorded it with the possibility in mind. The location recording in Paris was done by Hellmuth Kolbe, who aside from mixing those weird classical albums for the Swiss label Classic Pick (of which I did a discography post about) also did the location recording for other Columbia Masterworks quad releases around the same time, including the Bernstein Kindertotenlieder / Symphony No.10 (MQ 33532) from 1976 and Berlioz' Te Deum (M 34536) from 1977.

I'll try and remember to mention this to Mike next time I speak to him, because I agree, if there isn't an unreleased quad mix (and the multis exist) that it would be a good candidate for a fresh remix.

It's as good a candidate as any for having an unreleased quad mix, as the stereo version was mixed by Ray Moore, who mixed more Columbia Masterworks quads than anyone else at the label.

Looking through the Masterworks quad discography, I'm surprised they didn't release any version of Berlioz's Requiem in quad, because it seemed like they tried to do at least one version of most of the well-known classical works in quad. As to why not, you're only left to guess - they released a lot of Bernstein quad in that '74-'78 period so maybe they felt like the release calendar was already too oversaturated, maybe they felt that late in the day (late '76) that the market wasn't there for it, or maybe they felt another label's quad release of the album was definitive, like the Abravanel Vaguard version.

I am surprised, however, that they didn't simply issue it as a single-inventory release - Requiem is M 34202, and the titles sequentially before and after it (M 34201 Dukas' La Peri and M 34205 Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue piano roll) were both single-inventory quads, and coincidentally both have been reissued by Dutton Epoch. It makes you wonder if there was some technical issue that precluded it being a single-inventory release, either SQ compliance problems, or simply that the SQ encode didn't sound good in stereo.

Even if it wasn't released in quad you'd have to imagine that they at least recorded it with the possibility in mind. The location recording in Paris was done by Hellmuth Kolbe, who aside from mixing those weird classical albums for the Swiss label Classic Pick (of which I did a discography post about) also did the location recording for other Columbia Masterworks quad releases around the same time, including the Bernstein Kindertotenlieder / Symphony No.10 (MQ 33532) from 1976 and Berlioz' Te Deum (M 34536) from 1977.

I'll try and remember to mention this to Mike next time I speak to him, because I agree, if there isn't an unreleased quad mix (and the multis exist) that it would be a good candidate for a fresh remix.
And while you're at it, go ahead and plug that Kindertotenlieder / Symphony No.10! (The Japanese 5.1 SACD is no great shakes, but maybe the original quad is?)

Oddly I don't see a Q4 release of this obvious quad reel at Discogs.

Anyway, did all of the quadraphonic Phase 3 titles get a reel to reel release in addition to LP/Q8?
(edit)
Oh I guess not. But plenty of quad in their catalog across the releases.
Here is list of Project 3's order form sent to me. Missing is "The Great Gatsby- 5086" and "Fisher Test & Performance Standard- 402"

Attachments

• Project 3 Quad Order Form.pdf
    322.1 KB · Views: 0
Here is list of Project 3's order form sent to me. Missing is "The Great Gatsby- 5086" and "Fisher Test & Performance Standard- 402"
Absolutely wonderful document. I also saved a lot of stuff like this from my collecting history. A lots of Q4 there in those black bars on right side of sheet.

Woo! Thanks for all the homework you did already. Even better if it pays off.

Like @humprof I'd love the original quads of Bernstein's Mahler, although I suspect Sony may feel proprietary about them. I know D-V has gotten other Bernstein stuff, but the Columbia Mahler cycle is a crown jewel for Sony.

Yes. They were. But maybe DV can work a deal to get them....IF they still exist
these wee Quadraphonic Quadruplets would indeed make a lovely couple of DV 2-fers 💞

IMG_2116.jpeg

I wish D~V would consider releasing the two Neil Diamond QUADS....Serenade and A Beautiful Noise. Some notes on Serenade: Iaisnd.com

And while they're at it, how about Neil's lovely Grammy Award winning Jonathan Livingston Seagull soundtrack on Stereo SACD???????

Pretty Please.

I've been on a Neil Diamond kick this week and VERY highly recommend this chock filled 3 RBCD set of his complete UNI recordings (plus LIVE cuts) from 96/24 masters: Amazon.com
It is rumored that Jonathan Livingston Seagull was mixed in quad at the time of it’s release but the quad mix never made it to pressing. This would be a good choice to release in quad if it is indeed available.

And I'd LOVE for these two YOUNGBLOODS releases to be included on D~V's upcoming release schedule

THE YOUNGBLOODS -
Best. RCA PQ8-1617 (Q8)
Get Together. RCA EPQA-3724-QF (QR), PQ8-1221 (Q8)

The Youngbloods ‎– Get Together The Youngbloods First Album Label ...

The Youngbloods Vinyl Record Albums

And a possible 2 SACD set could also include the YOUNGBLOODS third album {in STEREO} ELEPHANT MOUNTAIN

The Youngbloods - Elephant Mountain [New CD] Extended Ed 90771625625 | eBay

Last edited:
I would like it as well, but they are already available in 360RA Quadraphonic on Tidal.
https://tidal.com/album/140998681https://tidal.com/album/334638680I prefer those Albums, that are not available at all in Digital to be published by DV.

And I'd LOVE for these two YOUNGBLOODS releases to be included on D~V's upcoming release schedule

THE YOUNGBLOODS -
Best. RCA PQ8-1617 (Q8)
Get Together. RCA EPQA-3724-QF (QR), PQ8-1221 (Q8)

And a possible 2 SACD set could also include the YOUNGBLOODS third album {in STEREO} ELEPHANT MOUNTAIN

The Youngbloods - Elephant Mountain [New CD] Extended Ed 90771625625 | eBay

Back