Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for confusing Edgar Winter for Santana. Common mistake.

Anyhow, I know a lot of people want to see B-level or even A-level stuff like Aerosmith get out on Quad. And whoever releases Rocks on Quad SACD, I will buy it, as I presumably would for many other rock titles as well. There's three reasons why I'm wary of D-V going into more popular territory, all related.

1. D-V has been incredibly prolific in a very short time. Every month or so they've been releasing a ridiculously impressive slate of reissues of quad albums, sourced from the master tapes, usually doubled up on one SACD. Most recently they gave us Eight double-SACDs of quad material - the stuff wasn't everyone's taste, including mine, but that's almost secondary for me - they're releasing stuff that would never see the light of day otherwise. I'm worried that moving into more popular repertoire is going to mean slowing down the release schedule by necessity.

2. D-V has been serving markets that were otherwise largely ignored by reissue labels. MoFi briefly released eight Vox quads as single albums on SACD at premium prices. Pentatone has of course been incredibly prolific, releasing quad mixes that the world has never known existed from the vaults of Philips and occasionally Deutsche Grammophon. But aside from a few other early projects classical has largely been ignored by the reissue labels, perhaps because it doesn't really fit their release profile. This applies doubly to the MOR/Easy Listening stuff from the 70s - I doubt many but diehards would check out a single one of these on a $30 SACD, but two albums on one SACD for $15 is much more manageable. My concern is that if D-V goes into the more popular repertoire it's going to leave the more obscure stuff behind.

3. I know a number of people have tried to license the popular stuff on quad and failed - the economics just weren't there at a price point way beyond what D-V is charging. I understand it might be different because D-V is British and not American, but surely that can't make all the difference? I also worry that D-V has been able to do a lot of this by sort of flying under the radar vis a vis some of the management at Sony and elsewhere, because the stuff they've been asking for isn't stuff that causes a fuss. But who knows.

But then again, while I enjoy some of these 70s chestnuts, I'm not as interested in them as people who grew up with them. So I'm sure that's coloring my views as well.

Also Free Ride which has a very different mix than both the stereo album version and the quad version. I prefer the single mix of Free Ride.

timbre4 mentioned that 45 7" song in post 407. So yes there is a lot of potential for this album, and a 50th Super Deluxe edition. Can you believe 50 years ago next year?

Anyway, this title I would have snatched up long ago if I was in the reissue biz.

timbre4 mentioned that 45 7" song in post 407. So yes there is a lot of potential for this album, and a 50th Super Deluxe edition. Can you believe 50 years ago next year?

Anyway, this title I would have snatched up long ago if I was in the reissue biz.
Actually 45 but what’s 5 years for a great album.

Here's an interesting idea I've been sitting on for a while:

Was spinning old SQ discs before and came across this old EMI sampler that was a UK import.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-This-Is-EMI-Quadraphonic-Sound/master/410752

It's pressed on unusually heavy vinyl and the mixes are pretty solid overall. I noticed a bunch of the tracks are sourced from SQ albums released by this British label called "Studio 2".

https://www.discogs.com/label/204437-Studio-2-Quadraphonic

I tracked down two of the Studio 2 SQ LPs- "Manuel & The Music Of The Mountains- Carnival" and "Harry Stoneham- Hammond Hits The Highway". Both are interesting quad mixes and more or less easy-listening titles, so they go along well with many of D-V's easy-listening quad releases.

I'm not even sure Q8s of these exist...and I doubt the tapes would be too difficult to license. Anyone else heard these albums?

I tracked down two of the Studio 2 SQ LPs- "Manuel & The Music Of The Mountains- Carnival" and "Harry Stoneham- Hammond Hits The Highway". Both are interesting quad mixes and more or less easy-listening titles, so they go along well with many of D-V's easy-listening quad releases.

I'm not even sure Q8s of these exist...and I doubt the tapes would be too difficult to license. Anyone else heard these albums?

Vocalion has 3 Stereo CD reissues featuring Manuel & the Music of the Mountains in their current catalog.
So it would be something they'd be likely to release on Surround SACD is the Quad Tapes and Licensing worked out.
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4476
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4495
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4499

Here's an interesting idea I've been sitting on for a while:

Was spinning old SQ discs before and came across this old EMI sampler that was a UK import.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-This-Is-EMI-Quadraphonic-Sound/master/410752

It's pressed on unusually heavy vinyl and the mixes are pretty solid overall. I noticed a bunch of the tracks are sourced from SQ albums released by this British label called "Studio 2".

https://www.discogs.com/label/204437-Studio-2-Quadraphonic

Manuel Carnival & Harry Stoneham were both released on Q8, its been a while since i last played them but i didn't find the mixes of either of them in decoded SQ form to be that great tbh, there were much better EMI Easy Quads DV could release imho, including John Keating Space Experience and Mandingo for starters! amazing mixes! there were at least 3 excellent Mandingo Quads!

Wonder if they're matrix encoded ?

possible.. maybe.. seems unlikely as, afaik, none of those 6 Manuel albums DV already issued on CD saw Quad release?

also, re: possibility of SQ-encoded EMI stuff anything is possible but odds reduced perhaps since off the top of my head i can't think of one single-inventory rock/pop/easy/light/latin (i.e. non-Classical) EMI Quad LP release, can you? iirc they all had Stereo LP counterparts, so the Stereo seems the more likely source in latter days i guess.

although, all that said, the Machine Head CD specified as SQ-encoded and the BJH SQ CD, Aussie Mandingo CD and Space Experience 2-fer CD all ended up using the SQ-encoded masters so who knows.. could be Manuel isn't Fawlty after all.! :D

Manuel Carnival & Harry Stoneham were both released on Q8, its been a while since i last played them but i didn't find the mixes of either of them in decoded SQ form to be that great tbh, there were much better EMI Easy Quads DV could release imho, including John Keating Space Experience and Mandingo for starters! amazing mixes! there were at least 3 excellent Mandingo Quads!

I guess EMI had a slightly different approach to mixing versus Columbia. Not a bad thing at all- the Machine Head SQ version is one of my all time favorite quads. Will have to play these again later...iirc they are not 4-corner discrete but definitely real mixes that are somewhat immersive.

Btw there is another Keating quad so a two-fer is possible..

I guess EMI had a slightly different approach to mixing versus Columbia. Not a bad thing at all- the Machine Head SQ version is one of my all time favorite quads. Will have to play these again later...iirc they are not 4-corner discrete but definitely real mixes that are somewhat immersive.

there are at least 4 John Keating Quads DV could do;

Space Experience,
Space Experience 2,
Hits In Hi-Fi 1 (aka "Sound Hits" in some territories),
250 Years Of Film Music

Columbia licensed Keating from EMI for SQ release.
So Vocalion would need to work with Universal Music Group (owner of the EMI Music catalog these days) on that.

As for 4 corner mixes, the Vocalion Surround SACDs are showing that some of the Columbia SQ/Quad titles are more than 4 corner mixes.
Even though that was the mixing advice for SQ titles back in the '70s.... :)

From the RCA vault, it would be great to have the three Quad Jefferson Starship titles (Dragon Fly, Red Octopus and Spitfire), as well as the numerous Hot Tuna quad releases. On the soul side, the Hues Corporation would be cool, as would the Friends of Distinction hits disc. Just wishin... :)

From the RCA vault, it would be great to have the three Quad Jefferson Starship titles (Dragon Fly, Red Octopus and Spitfire), as well as the numerous Hot Tuna quad releases. On the soul side, the Hues Corporation would be cool, as would the Friends of Distinction hits disc. Just wishin... :)

! Wasn't aware of these JS quads (I did know about JA's quad VOLUNTEERS). Dragon Fly and Spitfire would be awesome in quad!!! I have the gold CD Red Octopus, and I know it's a best seller, but it doesn't grab much as much as the other two.

Jorma has his 5.1 SACD -- some think it sounds a bit off, but I like it :banana: Hot Tuna quads, again, would be awesome! <cranks it>

! Wasn't aware of these JS quads (I did know about JA's quad VOLUNTEERS). Dragon Fly and Spitfire would be awesome in quad!!! I have the gold CD Red Octopus, and I know it's a best seller, but it doesn't grab much as much as the other two.

Jorma has his 5.1 SACD -- some think it sounds a bit off, but I like it :banana: Hot Tuna quads, again, would be awesome! <cranks it>

There is also a quad "The Worst Of Jefferson Airplane", only available on Q8 and reel (is there a Japan CD-4?), that has several tracks from the Surrealistic Pillow album. The mix is obviously somewhat limited due to 4-track multis, but it's an interesting listen nonetheless.

Picked up the Hot Tuna "America's Choice" CD-4 over the summer- pressing not the greatest, so I'm all for a master-tape quality reissue from DV.

Aside from "America's Choice" and "Yellow Fever", the rest of the HT quads were only available as Q8s here in the US. I always found it so ironic that the largest selection of quad titles is confined to one of the lower-quality formats...

I'd love to see DV do Santana's Welcome, Caravenserai and my all time favorite Borboletta on quad SACD :).

Bill

I'd love to see DV do Santana's Welcome, Caravenserai and my all time favorite Borboletta on quad SACD :).

Bill

+++1....among MANY others.

Received my latest batch of D~V QUAD SACDs today [7 in all] and I'm easy listening oversaturated.

Time to KICK OUT THE JAMS..........

Now...do the people at DV have the way to license the Santana Quads????
Cause THAT would be BEYOND AWESOME!!!

Kap, if you've heard [IMO] the magnificent Santana/Alice Coltrane collaboration "Illuminations," I would say YES. NEVER thought that guilty pleasure would ever see a QUAD release. Sounds spectacular on my system.

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8530 Be sure to read Sid Smith of Prog Magazine's glowing review at the bottom of the D~V listing.

The Santana (band) albums might carry a higher licensing fee than an album like “Illuminations”, but if DV finds a way, I’ll shut up, and they can take my money! ;)

Back