Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm the same with Country not a fan but I like Bluegrass and the Country Rock of the Eagles, Pure Prairie League, Poco etc. I remember the Lyn Anderson single "Rose Garden" because it was in the Top 10 here in the UK sometime during 1970-71, I just realised I know most of the words. Now I can't get the song out of my head! As you say this DV release opens up fans of the genre to getting some good Quad, so I hope it does well.

there are a fair few Country Quad gems but one of the most fun CBS Country Quads for me is the George Jones & Tammy Wynette album "We Go Together", it is an absolute hoot of a mix!

as for content and quality of CBS Country Quads my absolute favourites are 2 of the 5 Charlie Rich Quads "Behind Closed Doors" and "Every Time You Touch Me I Get High" the former having his biggest most well-known hits of course but both of them feature some absolutely gorgeous tunes.

I'll order both Arties but wish we could have Waylon's two RCA quads about now. Maybe Lynn Anderson's SACDs are pointing the direction of the country quads in the Sony library. Maybe it is just a matter of waiting a little while longer?

Two Waylon's? No sir. There is only one unfortunately : Lonesome, On'ry & Mean.

I for one would LOVE to get some more country including Waylon, John Denver (please look for the unreleased one!) Jerry Reed, Dolly Parton, and so forth and so on! If they could pull the ultimate and start mining the ELVIS catalog, well that would certainly be nice for me and the 50,000,000 Elvis fans out there, too!

I'm loving this new direction that DV is heading. Hopefully, their balance sheets are showing a healthy amount of black ink as well to keep this train a-rollin'. They have certainly stepped up where others pulled a fade.

I for one would LOVE to get some more country including Waylon, John Denver (please look for the unreleased one!) Jerry Reed, Dolly Parton, and so forth and so on!

I've been clamoring for Denver for years now.....I would buy any and every one of his they care to release. :banana:

I wonder:

Can Dutton-Vocalion get access to maybe the Croce Quads or.... dare I say it? (Dare! Dare!) The Carpenters? Those are both sort of on the cusp of Easy Listening/Pop music.

I think Waylon would have sold three times what Lynn will sell. Ok, I thought there were two Waylons. I'll take a single album at full price. That title is a good one imo.

I wonder:

Can Dutton-Vocalion get access to maybe the Croce Quads or.... dare I say it? (Dare! Dare!) The Carpenters? Those are both sort of on the cusp of Easy Listening/Pop music.

I doubt it.
Dutton Vocalion are working almost exclusively with Sony when it comes to reissuing these Quadraphonic mixes on SACD, and Jim Croce's recordings are currently distributed by Rhino (Warner Music) and the Carpenters recordings are owned by A&M (Universal).
The Carpenters releases are really improbable mostly because the Universal tape archive is a complete crapshow when it comes to these old Quadraphonic mixes, far and away from how Sony have handled the tapes of these old Columbia & RCA Quadraphonic mixes.

If anything, Dutton Vocalion should continue to utilize the Sony catalogue for their releases, cause Sony sure do not seem interested in doing anything with their classic Quadraphonic mixes themselves!

:)

If anything, Dutton Vocalion should continue to utilize the Sony catalogue for their releases, cause Sony sure do not seem interested in doing anything with their classic Quadraphonic mixes themselves!

:)

Yes, for the most part this is true, Sony are organized and have the tapes in order and many of them in good condition. There is always the one that turns out to be to rust flakes when you thread it up to try and play it.

And another exception to the ease with Sony is when Sony/Japan has their eye on something, it can get political.

But for Waylon, unless the tapes are in Nashville, it should be straight forward, and not outrageous fees involved.

I know we should just be grateful for what is coming out, but I can't get excited about Lynn Anderson and it worries me if that was the top country title D/V were able to get? When Jerry Reed, Waylon, and Dolly are sitting there in the RCA/BMG section.

I wonder:

Audio Fidelity requested Jim Croce for 4.0 and was declined.

Audio Fidelity requested Jim Croce for 4.0 and was declined.

I recall that. The reason I bring it up again is that many titles that AF were declined have appeared elsewhere. I find it very unusual that the Croce estate would turn them down when they've been so willing and forthright with practically every other request for Jim's catalog.

I recall that. The reason I bring it up again is that many titles that AF were declined have appeared elsewhere. I find it very unusual that the Croce estate would turn them down when they've been so willing and forthright with practically every other request for Jim's catalog.

i wonder if the estate has full control worldwide or if a label owns the rights to the catalogue in territories such as the UK instead? when was the last UK go-round on CD of his work and which label released it?

Edsel released a of of Jim Croce as 2CD deluxe editions in 2015 in the UK. Curiously he is not listed on the current Demon/Edsel Records website, which turns out to be a division of BBC Worldwide!

i wonder if the estate has full control worldwide or if a label owns the rights to the catalogue in territories such as the UK instead? when was the last UK go-round on CD of his work and which label released it?

I'll be ordering Lynn Anderson for sure, I'm not big on Art Garfunkle, but if the two albums would of been released as a 2-fer I might of bitten. It would be nice if Dutton could get Simon & Garfunkle or the solo Paul Simon albums.

Paul Simon's Columbia solo albums would be a great coup but Graceland is on the Warner's label so that's probably off the list [at present].

All this talk of more Country in Quad from Columbia, and no one's mentioned The Man In Black ??

I for one would like Johnny Cash-At San Quentin . (Also there may be an unreleased quad of his...something like "Greatest Hits" , I think )

I notice that Columbia/CBS/Epic had a VERY LARGE promotion of quad albums all targeted as Greatest Hits Quads by their noteworthy and big selling artists.(including Classical)
Take a glance through "Quad Incorporated " and they are hard not to notice . So I was making a mental note on Lynn Anderson's one .. just the other day , and they read my mind , or I read their's .
Either way that's the direction DV should and could easily follow. Hope they continue on this path.
(Oh and a fair number of RCA greatest hits as well). (y)

May even be a Simon and Garfunkle unreleased quad in the vaults ?---------but......:rolleyes:

All this talk of more Country in Quad from Columbia, and no one's mentioned The Man In Black ?

I for one would like Johnny Cash-At San Quentin . (Also there may be an unreleased quad of his...something like "Greatest Hits", I think)

Haven't heard either of the Johnny Cash quads (or the 5.1 sacd of "At Folsom Prison), but I can't imagine those being particularly discrete. Audience in the rears maybe ?

Haven't heard either of the Johnny Cash quads (or the 5.1 sacd of "At Folsom Prison), but I can't imagine those being particularly discrete. Audience in the rears maybe ?

only one Johnny Cash Quad got released afaik, which is a live with audience in rear type mix just as you suggest.

there was another surround SACD of his as well as Folsom Prison, "Silver", which i have but don't remember a thing about i'm afraid.

only one Johnny Cash Quad got released afaik, which is a live with audience in rear type mix just as you suggest.

there was another surround SACD of his as well as Folsom Prison, "Silver", which i have but don't remember a thing about i'm afraid.

Folsom Prison is mainly ambience but sounds great and Silver which has some duets with George Jones and has the hit "Ghost Riders In The Sky" was remixed by Brian Ahearn who also remixed Emmylou Harris' Producer's Cut DVD~A....will give it a listen tonight to confirm the quality of the 5.1.

Last I heard the Croce Estate had retained Warner Music to market the rights to the catalog.
So a reissue label would need to get a license from Warner Music for these albums.

There is also a quad "The Worst Of Jefferson Airplane", only available on Q8 and reel (is there a Japan CD-4?), that has several tracks from the Surrealistic Pillow album. The mix is obviously somewhat limited due to 4-track multis, but it's an interesting listen nonetheless.

Picked up the Hot Tuna "America's Choice" CD-4 over the summer- pressing not the greatest, so I'm all for a master-tape quality reissue from DV.

Aside from "America's Choice" and "Yellow Fever", the rest of the HT quads were only available as Q8s here in the US. I always found it so ironic that the largest selection of quad titles is confined to one of the lower-quality formats...

And there is also a Jefferson Airplane-Bark (Q8). :D

Back