Surround Sound is basically Prog Rock, Classical, and Jazz

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some straight up rock in surround -and for me a refreshing change- Try "Mister Moto - The J.B. Experience".
It probably won't be something you'll think about as a classic but to me it's ear candy for now.
I had never heard of these guys before and even now not sure exactly who they are.

https://www.discogs.com/release/19793644-Mister-Moto-The-JB-Experience

Last edited:
Everything I play that's in stereo goes through my Surround Master. I was just listening to a Paul Mauriat SACD that blew my mind with how good it sounded for a stereo recording. It was like taking a can opener to the sound!

You can get surrounds of the Beatles, John Lennon, George Harrison, Doors, Dire Straits, the Doobie Brothers, Chicago, Stones (Exile on Blu-Ray audio), Marvin Gaye (What's Going On on Blu-ray audio), the Who (Tommy on Blu-Ray audio) and Bob Marley (on Blu-Ray audio) . . . .

I don't understand this thread. It may have been true 20 years ago but in the past 2 years a ridiculous amount of R&B/pop/hiphop has been released. Country, dance, latin, as well. Prog probably the most difficult to find now.

In surround? What hip-hop albums have been released in the past 2 years? Genuinely curious.

Tsk, Tsk, Mr. E....You don't look a day over 39!
Well!
Ralphie, if you think that I look good, you should see @J. PUPSTER!
EB66AB86-290E-4D12-83B4-A48C9BF3305E.png
CBA8272F-6BB9-4BEF-9C79-F627E9C1E005.png

I'm not really educated on what is hip-hop vs what is fringe. I do own Stankonia in a 5.1 DVD-Audio. Not sure of any others....
Tried it on Apple since it was the same mix and talk about a waste of material!
The mix is borderline anemic!

I suppose those who aren't on apple or tidal don't know that there are between 5 and 20 new hiphop/pop/R&B albums released every Thursday at 10pm. (Browse/Spatial) For the past 6 months there has been a smaller but just as consistent release of jazz/dance/rock/classical/etc. Anyone (with access to logic or nuendo) can make a song right now and stream in atmos for next to nothing. Physical releases only make sense for a very small percentage of artists. The Weeknd just released five albums in atmos, and this type of release strategy has been happening for months.
There's no shortage of variety nor mixes.

REally? It freaking ROCKS on my system. I didn't say it was a senstational multi-channel mix, but that it simply rocks.
I mean it's discrete, and has good sonics, but from listening to a few tracks, I found it very anemic.
Ms. Jackson only has a vinyl sound and occasional adlibs in the rears? Really?
Gasoline Dreams has an underuse of rears too.
I also feel that most of the rear elements also bleed into the fronts, reducing the discreteness.

In surround? What hip-hop albums have been released in the past 2 years? Genuinely curious.
A big chunk - if not the majority - of new atmos stuff on Apple Music is hip-hop/pop/r&b (or whatever you want to call it - the lines keep getting blurrier between them).

Most will likely never see a physical release.

We need more variety! I'm getting sick of every other release basically being the same genre.
Where's ny neo-psychadelia?
Where's my R&B?
Where's my sophisti-pop/new age?
Where's my obscure foreign 90s mishmash of god knows what?

WE NEED MORE VARIETY!
Uggh. No. I don’t care about those other genres. Surround is rare I don’t want it in other genres. Pop is ok though. I want pop in surround.

Last edited:
Back