Surround Sound is basically Prog Rock, Classical, and Jazz

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We need more variety! I'm getting sick of every other release basically being the same genre.
Where's ny neo-psychadelia?
Where's my R&B?
Where's my sophisti-pop/new age?
Where's my obscure foreign 90s mishmash of god knows what?

WE NEED MORE VARIETY!

Well, rock, jazz, & classical is a giant chunk of what people listen to so that is good. But then, of course, you are right about more variety. I thrive on J Music but nothing since the 70's has been done in surround, with Cornelius being a good exception.

Of the other genres you mentioned they are all available in 2 ch stereo. My personal interests is such that playing back stereo into quality surround is a top priority for me. Of the few pieces of gear that are actually good at this only one is currently MFG'ed, the Involve Surround Master. And many folks do up mixing on their computers. More labor intensive then real time play back but much better control.

Anything stereo to surround may not (or sometimes it does!) sound better than a discrete surround release. But many times it sounds so good that ya know, if there's never a proper surround release of Chisato Moritaka's Kokon Tozai album, I'm still a very happy guy.

We need more variety! I'm getting sick of every other release basically being the same genre.
Where's ny neo-psychadelia?
Where's my R&B?
Where's my sophisti-pop/new age?
Where's my obscure foreign 90s mishmash of god knows what?

WE NEED MORE VARIETY!
and that is why Iā€™m a slave to the up-mix collective
( uh, sans the English accent ;~}

*or, get together with some musician buddies and do it yourself, then we can buy, and have more!

Thereā€™s a lot of early 90s so called ā€œModern Rockā€ bands that would be great in surround. Reggae Music sounds fantastic in surround, but we donā€™t have enough titles mixed. Why not more Country and Bluegrass music? Thereā€™s also a lot of classic Hawaiian music titles that would be great.

We wanted ā€œDead Can Danceā€ in surround when their titles were released on SACD, but allegedly, there are no Multi-Tracks because thatā€™s not how the music was recorded. A lot more Metal and Punk music would be good, depending how itā€™s mixed.

There are a lot of great surround music titles out there, but you have to be willing to go way beyond your comfort zone sometimes to appreciate it, and learn something new.

Really? Not that I can find it with my poor searching skills. Can you give me examples of good mixes?
No. I don't have enough time for the mixes I already have and love, which are mainly pop and rock...

On Apple Music, if you simply go in the the Spatial Audio section, you'll see that every single genre on Apple Music (so far as I can tell) is represented.

Surround is synonymous with expensive production - and most pop from the prog era onward was about running away from expensive, elaborate production and recording as far and as fast and as hard as everyone could.

Classical is inherently expensive to record and produce, surround or not - so that has been a relative constant.

Jazz was popular back when major labels were experimenting with quad.

I don't understand this thread. It may have been true 20 years ago but in the past 2 years a ridiculous amount of R&B/pop/hiphop has been released. Country, dance, latin, as well. Prog probably the most difficult to find now.
Am I just blind? Probably.

Why don't we get much new music on physical formats for surround? I don't know.

I don't have all the info, and I don't have all the sense. That's what this thread is for.

I keep dreaming about the Bee Gees catalogue getting the Wilson treatment...but that ain't gonna happen. I can only freaking imagine what he could do with that ear candy. Ughhhhhh.
Gos, you can always jam on the Dee Gees in stereo while you wait.

I keep dreaming about the Bee Gees catalogue getting the Wilson treatment...but that ain't gonna happen. I can only freaking imagine what he could do with that ear candy. Ughhhhhh.
I know it ainā€™t much , but You Should be Dancing showed up in Apple Music recently in Atmos and it sounded pretty darn good !

Back