Surround Sound is basically Prog Rock, Classical, and Jazz

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surround Sound is basically Prog Rock
Definitely a major exaggeration but,
Can you think of another genre more fitting for multich mixing?
Prog rock rules. ;)
True, but I fall into the Mr Afternoon camp. I am so freaking sick and tired of Prog. I mean, really tired. To the point, that I'm starting to get a bad attitude. I just want more popular music in surround. No, not streamed......I want discs. I want ELO in surround. I want Lonsome Crow/Scorpions in surround. I want Priest, Point Of Entry, Sabbath, debut album, etc., etc. You know. Those. Bee Gees.

True, but I fall into the Mr Afternoon camp. I am so freaking sick and tired of Prog. I mean, really tired. To the point, that I'm starting to get a bad attitude.
Well luckily I don't make prog.
:cool:
I just want more popular music in surround. No, not streamed......I want discs. I want ELO in surround. I want Lonsome Crow/Scorpions in surround. I want Priest, Point Of Entry, Sabbath, debut album, etc., etc. You know. Those. Bee Gees.
I feel you there on the discs.
But here's one thing to take away from surround streaming: most of the bad mixes will not make it to disc anymore.
At least, in theory. My theory. My flawed-logic theory.

You can get surrounds of the Beatles, John Lennon, George Harrison, Doors, Dire Straits, the Doobie Brothers, Chicago, Stones (Exile on Blu-Ray audio), Marvin Gaye (What's Going On on Blu-ray audio), the Who (Tommy on Blu-Ray audio) and Bob Marley (on Blu-Ray audio) . . . .

Are you sure about Exile being in surround??? I thought the BD was just stereo? I know about goat's head- way overpriced for an average album imo, but Exile is my fave stones album.

I'm finding the genre spacific Spatial lists on Apple very useful. You know "Rock in Spatial Audio, Country in Spatial Audio, etc. Great for just listening and finding out what's avaiable from new music, etc. I've been listening to the Rock group for a couple hours now.

I'm finding the genre specific Spatial lists on Apple very useful. You know "Rock in Spatial Audio, Country in Spatial Audio, etc. Great for just listening and finding out what's available from new music, etc. I've been listening to the Rock group for a couple hours now.
I've tried that a bit recently, but I find myself skipping songs I've either heard to death or never liked much. I've been a listener of albums for decades, and I will always prefer that to a playlist. I tend to play albums in the rock, classical, and jazz categories. Every once in a while something in R & B or Alternative.

True, but I fall into the Mr Afternoon camp. I am so freaking sick and tired of Prog. I mean, really tired. To the point, that I'm starting to get a bad attitude. I just want more popular music in surround. No, not streamed......I want discs. I want ELO in surround. I want Lonsome Crow/Scorpions in surround. I want Priest, Point Of Entry, Sabbath, debut album, etc., etc. You know. Those. Bee Gees.
Me I want more 1970's Prog and Fusion! Camel Moon Madness, Ronnie Montrose Open Fire, also Allan Holdsworth Velvet Darkness, Stanley Clarke Journey to love, Romantic Warrior, UK, more Mahavishnu, Steely Dan Royal scam and Aja, Coryell and Mouzon Back Together Again, Gino Vanelli Storm at Sunup and Powerful People, Robben Ford The Inside Story (the golden age of music). I know they are not Mastered in Quad, but Fraunhofer Institute has software that grabs instruments and objectivizes. So there are ways....

Last edited:
Me I want more Prog and Fusion! Camel Moon madness, Ronnie Montrose, also Alan Houldsworth Velvet Darkness, Romantic Warrior, UK. I know they are not Mastered in Quad, but Fraunhofer Institute has software that grabs instruments and objectivizes. So there are ways....
Well, I'd take those too. haha. Moon Madness would be killer.

1644011669800.png

:LOL:

Reactions: GOS
I want more avant garde! Something like Mr. Bungle and Secret Chiefs 3.

Funny. A lot of the old stuff I listen to is called "prog" now. It was just art rock or rock then. I don't like much else called prog nowadays. I mean, it's still more interesting than any of the bottom of the barrel pop! Most stuff right now is way too polite and predictable. (And no, stuff like "WAP" isn't edgy or impolite! Juvenile but still the epitome of safe and polite.)

With any type of music, there are great pieces of music that are destined to become classics, with a bunch of just okay songs that may or may not age well.

One fun thing to do, is a channel scan of FM music to hear what other people are listening to. When listening to music I’m not familiar with or not my thing, I put the sound much lower so I’m actually giving it a fair chance. You find a lot of styles of music have a lot in common. In fact, the more a group of musicians mix things up, the more original they are. Country music can be like Punk. Punk music can be like Metal. So can Classical music if you listen to what the musical passages in the string sections are doing.

Ironically, because of surround music, I’m listening to Jazz, Opera and Classical music like I never had before. It would be great if every new release got a surround mix. Even if there’s no Multi-Tracks, individual tracks can be extracted from Stereo and Mono sources now.

Yes, but back in the day if you wanted to listen to music, you had to listen to the radio. It was a different time of course. Mono ruled. The transistor radio was the iPod of it’s day.

Drivel might be an accurate description of what radio is today. Too many 80s nostalgia stations. Where are the other eras? So called Classic Rock has too many bands that don’t fit with the era or spirit of the music. It isn’t like the old days, when you had no idea what the next new Beatles song would sound like. Instead we have too many artists that are just trying to sound the same as the other.

That said, it’s cool to find College radio stations and freeform adventurous stations that play whatever they want. That’s where the action is. But, yeah, you have to go through a lot of junk to find it. At least with radio, one doesn’t need the internet or an app.

Yeah I can just imagine how good this would sound, in surround:

"Valking shroo zee dezzert!! I'm going mad!! I'm going MAD!!

Vhere's zee money, Lebowskii!!! "

Guitar solo...

Yeah I can just imagine how good this would sound, in surround:

"Valking shroo zee dezzert!! I'm going mad!! I'm going MAD!!

Vhere's zee money, Lebowskii!!! "

Guitar solo...

In case anyone missed it, that is a reference to "Lonesome Crow" by The Scorpions. I think they were still working on their english when they recorded it, some of the lyrics are entertaining.

well, plus some German Nihilists c/o the Coen Brothers.

It's actually my favourite Scorpions album (y)

Back