TEAC 4-channel deck

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tejanoboy

Howdy, all you four-eared folks! Been away w-a-y too long from here, great to be back in quad-land.
My friend just picked up a decent-shape TEAC 4-channel tape deck at an estate sale. It has a separate tape transport and two stereo record/playback electronics units. Heads appear to have very little wear. If it works, did he overpay at $75? I may be interested in buying it from him if he decides not to use it after a while. (My 3340 fell down the stairs, funeral to be announced)
From all looks, it is similar to a 3340, except for no 15 IPS speed and no 10.5" reels.
Anybody had any experience with this unit? Model something-43, IIRC.
Thanks Mucho!
T-boy

Here's an ad featuring the previous TEAC models: http://reel2reeltexas.com/vinAd71TeacTCA42.jpg You could buy a 2ch deck, and, voila! - with an upgrade, it was a Quad deck. Several manufacturers had these "modular" reel-to-reel designs, including Pioneer RTU-11. http://reel2reeltexas.com/vinUnusualPioneerRTU11b.jpg

Linda

Wow QL!

I've never seen one of those (although I did own an AX-20, the little black Mixdown box shown in the ad). That is a very sweet unit. Good thing I didn't know about it because I would have lusted! :)

You can play your quad reels in stereo with the mixdown box. It could have been a popular feature if it was built into the machines, but I guess they didn't think of that.

The Teac 2340 was the baby brother of the 3340, as already stated. Same three motor setup, same three heads, etc. with the differences being the lack of 15ips and 10.5" NAB reel capability on the 2340. Great machines! The Teac TCA-43 was a completely different animal predating the 2340/3340 series by probably 10 years. It was based on their hugely popular 4010s machine. Teac imported the Teac 4010s machines and converted them to four channel simul-sync machines by adding an extra pair of electronics and using all four channels of the auto reverse heads. The customization stateside of the 4010s led ultimately to the forming of Teac's professional division, TASCAM.

hello everyone,

i am a new member of this site..can you tell me if the teac 3440 is a good quadraphonic machine..sound wise and builtwise.. wait for your comments eagerly..somebody is selling me aused one for usd 200.oo

Yes, it's a very good deck. I've owned a couple of them, and sold dozens when I was in the business. I currently own a 2ch 3300. $200 is a phenomenal price. It's either a great bargain or a fixer-upper. You may want to test the record and playback functions on all four channels, as well as rewind, ff, the simulsync switches, etc, if possible, prior to purchase.

hello everyone,

i am a new member of this site..can you tell me if the teac 3440 is a good quadraphonic machine..sound wise and builtwise.. wait for your comments eagerly..somebody is selling me aused one for usd 200.oo

Yes, it's a very good deck. I've owned a couple of them, and sold dozens when I was in the business. I currently own a 2ch 3300. $200 is a phenomenal price. It's either a great bargain or a fixer-upper. You may want to test the record and playback functions on all four channels, as well as rewind, ff, the simulsync switches, etc, if possible, prior to purchase.

hi linda..thaks so much for your input..according to the seller, everything is fine except that channel 3 doesnt record
playback is fine for all 4 channels all vu light no problem wth the belt..you mention selling many teacs..i would also like to buy a teac x10 , this is not quadrial..can you gave me some feedback on this machine and compare it with the a 3440, please..cannot get a lot of info on the net..regards

jean

Welcome to QQ, Jean.

I sold and used X-10's. They're good, well built machines. I think the 3340/3300/2340/2300's may be slightly better built. Earlier X-10's have analog meters, later versions have digital meters. My recollection is that the X's were introduced on '79-'80. X's look more modern, but the older decks have more of a classic look. It's all preference.

I did see that 3340 on EBay. Are you able to diagnose and service that channel that doesn't record? It could be something simple like a loose wire. It could also be a worn down record head. In that case, the head for all four channels will need to be replaced.

Welcome to QQ, Jean.

I sold and used X-10's. They're good, well built machines. I think the 3340/3300/2340/2300's may be slightly better built. Earlier X-10's have analog meters, later versions have digital meters. My recollection is that the X's were introduced on '79-'80. X's look more modern, but the older decks have more of a classic look. It's all preference.

I did see that 3340 on EBay. Are you able to diagnose and service that channel that doesn't record? It could be something simple like a loose wire. It could also be a worn down record head. In that case, the head for all four channels will need to be replaced.

hello again linda.. question..are the heads still available out there.. i am gonna send you the link for you to see the unit i got on ebay.. perhaps i got it for that price because the owner had some stiff policicies.. once again i aapreciate your input on my inquiries,,best regards

jean
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261001579985&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Worn heads on one of these could be a major problem. I bought my 3340 in '82, it was new in about'76 and the heads had already been replaced. The seller warned me about using cheap tape with it. I've seen some of the later ones with head wear and worst thing is if someone adjusted worn heads, it could damage tape.
That is a great price for a 3440 though. I would just check it carefully, head wear is very visible esp. with a small mirror.

Worn heads on one of these could be a major problem. I bought my 3340 in '82, it was new in about'76 and the heads had already been replaced. The seller warned me about using cheap tape with it. I've seen some of the later ones with head wear and worst thing is if someone adjusted worn heads, it could damage tape.
That is a great price for a 3440 though. I would just check it carefully, head wear is very visible esp. with a small mirror.

thanks so much for your advice, quadsearcher, my question is are there head replacements available nowdays.. regards , jean

Back