SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brett, ordered the "Pictures die 12 pianists" and BTW, it's a companion piece to
61%2BZJdw6bSL.jpg
which is likewise EXCELLENT!
Yes, both of those recordings by die 12 pianisten are definitely worth checking out.

Now spinning another excellent ARS disc of chamber music. This one is music from the Baroque era...
Handel / Fasch / Telemann - Ensemble l'Ornamento. The MC mix puts the listener right in the middle. Exquisitely performed!

Last edited:
It turns out Vision & Variations by A Far Cry, as mentioned earlier by Brian, is available on Spotify so that'll give me (and you) an opportunity to listen to the whole thing before deciding whether to buy it; 30-second snippets aren't really helpful in that regard. Anyway, I'm currently two tracks in and I like it :phones

Last edited:
I can't keep up with all this new music - I'm gonna need to see God about getting an extension to my lifespan because even if I live to be a hundred years old I'll still need more time lol. But first and foremost I'm gonna need to see about getting a wage rise ;)
Tell me about it!! o_O I often find myself pulling out recordings that I purchased years ago to finally give them a proper listening. But I don't mind because with a lot of it being classical it is already 'old' music to begin with!! LOL!! ;) It also takes me a while (sometimes years!!) to actually understand and appreciate a piece of music. I definitely believe it's useful to expose myself to new music and let it percolate and grow on me. So many factors come into play regarding how a person responds to a piece of music.

MCH SACD?? Has Sony started making SACDs again (and MCH at that) after abandoning the format ??

In other news, apparently, I'll be receiving The Glass Effect by Lavinia Meijer within a day or two. It's a 2-CD set but having heard snippets of it already I'm looking forward to adding it to my collection as Meijer plays Glass rather well on this mch SACD.

5112Y+126sL._AC_US218_.jpg

Another outstanding ARS Produktion SACD is this one from violinist Uta Pape. Except for Bach's Partita, most of this program of baroque chamber music is a bit obscure. But, the music is well worth checking out for anyone interested in Bach and his contemporaries. First rate performance by all involved. The surround mix is immersive.

Johann Jacob Walther (1650-1717): Sonata No. 2 in A major; Aria in forma di Sonatina No. 14 in G minor
Johann Paul von Westhoff (1656-1705): Sonata No. 2 in A minor; Suite No. 5 in D minor for Violin
Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750): Partita in D minor, BWV 1004

Uta Pape (violin); Klaus Mader (Theorbo); Olaf Reimers (Cello); Wolf-Eckart Dietrich (Cembalo)

Here's a link to an in depth review: http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/MusicforViolin_Luthi_Pape.html

Last edited:
Julia Fischer? I seem to recall her name appearing several times high up the list of recommended titles on the old sa-cd.net site; off I goes to look... yep, her name appears several times high up the list of recommended titles on the old sa-cd.net site, and this title, Piano Trios, scores as 71/72 recommended - now that's what I call a recommendation! I'll give it a listen when I get home from work tonight and see about getting myself a copy :)

Julia Fischer? I seem to recall her name appearing several times high up the list of recommended titles on the old sa-cd.net site; off I goes to look... yep, her name appears several times high up the list of recommended titles on the old sa-cd.net site, and this title, Piano Trios, scores as 71/72 recommended - now that's what I call a recommendation! I'll give it a listen when I get home from work tonight and see about getting myself a copy :)

Actually, Derek, this disc was a freebee. I ordered that Brett recommended piano SACD from this vendor and he sent me this disc FREE ... I just had to supply the SACD case and since the disc was released in 2006, the inlay wouldn't fit [the cases had different dimensions in those days and those SACD replacements are NO longer available]. Beautiful recording and caressing ambience [wasn't that well put?]:love:

It sure was... and I just went ahead and ordered a copy, albeit this 2016 reissue; whether it comes in a standard jewel case remains to be seen but a quick listen online lets me know I like what I'm hearing :)

Derek, almost ALL the Pentatone SACDs come in Super Jewel Cases and Pentatone also sometimes encloses them in matte finished slip covers [very classy]. BTW, I'll probably get around to listening to Brett's piano [and percussion] recommendation later

81dczYrISrL._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=8611#reviews

image.jpeg

Speaking of piano trios, I recently picked up these two by the Chinese composer An-lun Huang. Rather than being a ground-breaking fusion of East meets West, these trios from 1981 & 2014 are a kind of a throw back to late Romantic classical music of the 19th and early 20th centuries. They do have the occasional abstract quality found in most contemporary classical music, but I was surprised by the abundance of sweet, gentle melodies (reminiscent of Fauré, etc..) that make these pieces very accessible and enjoyable. The performance is superb. Nice recording, but rears are only ambient.

Here's a review link... http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Jul/Huang_trios_90320656.htm

Back