The Residents: Any of Their DVD’s Have True Surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Watching Theory of Obscurity, the documentary of The Residents’ long career, I Googled to find they have ten (10) DVD releases.

Are any of them the real deal?

My good friend who once spent Halloween dressed as an eyeball giving out candy to kids, told me “I don’t like the Residents, but I’m glad they exist.” Telling him of my DVD quest he then asked if I were interested in listening to “annoying music in surround.”

I don’t know but would like to find out.

The Residents “Icky Flix”

9692d76536f9b73e7bdd6b07ea4538cc.jpg

Released in 2001, it’s a collection of all their music videos going back to 1976. Containing both the original audio in 2.0 and newly recorded versions in Dolby 5.1 - the mixes are discrete. As one might imagine the videos are as disturbing as the music, but they are oddly compelling too - imagine David Lynch’s “Eraserhead” set to music. You can’t go wrong with song titles like “Songs for Swingin’ Larvae” and “Jelly Jack The Boneless Boy” - it’s a bit much to take it all in one sitting but provides the occasional chuckle - the mix is discrete and the fidelity is pretty good considering it’s Dolby.

I once asked Hardy Fox in an email his thoughts on surround sound. His response

"I liked doing surround mixes for the DVDs. But surround outside of video is mostly non-existent. People don’t listen to music with undivided attention as much in our modern times. Music was a dominate cultural form for a while. I’m fine with sound gaining a NORMAL position with other media. Music has a strong psychological aspect that is very interesting to me. But it is a tired form that need a 100 years to rest.

I personally do not listen to music. The passive approach to music cannot hold my attention. Only making music is stimulating. Everyone should be making music instead of listening to it. I don’t even own a CD, DVD, or record player. "

I have the following Residents DVDs with suround mixes and they are all worth it imo:

Eskimo
Commercial Album
Icky Flix
Demons Dance Alone

The surround mixes are all DD (but still sound pretty great) and discrete, even the concert DVD for "Demons Dance Alone". I have also ordered "Wormwood" and hope for another decent surround mix.

Since I'm a big Residents fan, I was very happy to discover these discs.

Back