Steven Wilson The Yes Album 4CD/LP/Blu-Ray Super Deluxe box coming November 24 (with Steven Wilson Dolby Atmos mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening now to The Yes Album 2023 Atmos from Blu Ray.
MKV file, DR's are 11, 14's, 15's.
Quite good, it took me a few minutes to get used to what I interpet as a heavier than usual, LFE subwoofer feel to it.
But all the music swirling around is great.
R-20524120-1633747939-9720.jpg

And that middle section of Perpetual Change - with the swirling version of one part, and the increasing intensity of the counterpoint? Wow - just brilliant!
Glad to hear you liked this! The first version I tested had the mono drums/bass/keys reduction static in the center speaker during that section, just like on the 2014 5.1 mix. As you know that part audibly 'walked' from the center to the left speaker in the old stereo version, so I suggested that he try some movement there - as a sort of homage to the original sound - and it worked out really nice.
Also - I'm intrigued about the revisions Wilson made to the 5.1 mix on (quote) "one or two tracks" - which he chooses not to specify in his note about this edition on Page 3 of the booklet. I haven't been able to spot them yet - any ideas?
Maybe the shakers in the front height speakers during "Your Move" (as noted upthread)? Some of those quick guitar fills in the tops throughout "Yours Is No Disgrace" also seem more pronounced than in prior versions.

In terms of the spatial positioning, the Atmos mix is definitely more faithful to the original stereo than the 5.1 (guitar and organ left/right pans are restored) - yet there are also some moving elements that were previously static, like the distorted bass(?) during "Wurm."

I had to chuckle when reading a review over at SHF where someone complained about Kaye's organ in YIND being 'way off to the side, cut off from the band' - as if it wasn't always that way in the original stereo mix :LOL:

Glad to hear you liked this! The first version I tested had the mono drums/bass/keys reduction static in the center speaker during that section, just like on the 2014 5.1 mix. As you know that part audibly 'walked' from the center to the left speaker in the old stereo version, so I suggested that he try some movement there - as a sort of homage to the original sound - and it worked out really nice.

Maybe the shakers in the front height speakers during "Your Move" (as noted upthread)? Some of those quick guitar fills in the tops throughout "Yours Is No Disgrace" also seem more pronounced than in prior versions.

In terms of the spatial positioning, the Atmos mix is definitely more faithful to the original stereo than the 5.1 (guitar and organ left/right pans are restored) - yet there are also some moving elements that were previously static, like the distorted bass(?) during "Wurm."

I had to chuckle when reading a review over at SHF where someone complained about Kaye's organ in YIND being 'way off to the side, cut off from the band' - as if it wasn't always that way in the original stereo mix :LOL:
Oh wow!!! Good for you, sjcorne - that bit in Perpetual Change may be the single best moment on the atmos version. I've always loved that amazing combination of two bands 'competing' with each other - and now it has been given an extraordinary new life in atmos. Just brilliant - cheers!!! And I ADORE the organ way off to the side in YIND - but also so 'there' in terms of presence. Perfecto!

Thanks for the tips in terms of (small) changes to the 2014 5.1 mix on the new blu-ray version of that 5.1 edition. I'll have another listen later...:)

Last edited:
I still argue that if you play the Atmos version and what comes out of the speakers in 5.1 configuration differs from what comes out of the speakers when you play the 5.1 version, then you have a new 5.1 mix by default.
That is an interesting observation. I sometimes think the Atmos played as 5.1 sounds better than the actual 5.1 mix…maybe due to the way the tracks/sounds are separated in the first place? Hmmm…🤔

That is an interesting observation. I sometimes think the Atmos played as 5.1 sounds better than the actual 5.1 mix…maybe due to the way the tracks/sounds are separated in the first place? Hmmm…🤔
I tend to agree with this observation. And for those of us that are not ( yet ) Atmos'd, it whets the appetite.

Last edited:
I still argue that if you play the Atmos version and what comes out of the speakers in 5.1 configuration differs from what comes out of the speakers when you play the 5.1 version, then you have a new 5.1 mix by default.
I say the opposite. It's not a new mix. To me, it's no more a new mix than a stereo mix folded down to mono with a mono switch is a new mix. Or listening to a stereo mix with a fake surround soundfield. You just chose to process it differently (for whatever reasons).

That doesn't mean it isn't a different listening experience - or that some processing doesn't sound better than others. But it's not a new mix.

I say the opposite. It's not a new mix. To me, it's no more a new mix than a stereo mix folded down to mono with a mono switch is a new mix. Or listening to a stereo mix with a fake surround soundfield. You just chose to process it differently (for whatever reasons).

That doesn't mean it isn't a different listening experience - or that some processing doesn't sound better than others. But it's not a new mix.
I am guessing that your definition of a "new mix" is that it must be by design. In order to call it a "new mix" it must be by design but I said it's a new mix "by default". So what we are arguing here is semantics,
Toe-mate-o, Toe-ma-toe.
Personally, I don't consider mono a "mix" at all (i know that's not technically correct), but I am sure others will argue that point as well.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with this observation. And for those of us that are not ( yet ) Atmos'd, it whets the appetite.
Well…just to muddy the waters…I also think the Atmos mix played as 5.1 sounds better than the Atmos mix played as Atmos…BUT that is probably due to my system which is not really optimized for Atmos.
I do have height speakers but they are in the front above my towers.
I think it muddies the effect.
I’m trying to figure out how to move them to the middle of my room without creating a complete mess 🤯

Looking at an unboxing video, it seems the vinyl is contained in the box itself; no separate sleeve (besides the liner). So selling off the vinyl could only be accomplished by finding another sleeve or selling just the LP in the liner. Is that correct?

I received my shipping notice from Import CDs on Nov 22. The tracking number does not show any status, it is as if the shipment has not been picked up from the warehouse. I check for status updates multiple times a day...nothing. I contacted Import CDs twice about the issue. I have not had a single reply from them. Did anyone order from Import and has your copy arrived?

Has anyone had issues with Import CDs?

I do understand this is the holiday season and they are dealing with an above average influx of orders, but I expect a response that they are looking into the matter at the very least.

I received my shipping notice from Import CDs on Nov 22. The tracking number does not show any status, it is as if the shipment has not been picked up from the warehouse. I check for status updates multiple times a day...nothing. I contacted Import CDs twice about the issue. I have not had a single reply from them. Did anyone order from Import and has your copy arrived?

Has anyone had issues with Import CDs?

I do understand this is the holiday season and they are dealing with an above average influx of orders, but I expect a response that they are looking into the matter at the very least.
I also got shipping notice. I have ordered from Import CDs on a few occasions and have never had an issue. I'm not too worried. It will get here eventually,

Take your point on Clap. What do you make of Clap on the 5.1 mix - with more of a wrap around sound stage? I like them both - but think I prefer the atmos version in terms of how this track should sound in its own context - as it really is just the one instrument and a live recording at that too. But I agree, the mix sounds a bit odd in the contrast to its two “bookend” atmos tracks…

I didn’t want to add more none-poll stuff to that thread, but @cornwall198 said the above when I mentioned how the Atmos version of Clap was really more focused on the front speakers and pulled me out of the Atmos experience.

When I have Atmos, it doesn’t even occur to me to play it in 5.1, but that suggestion was a good call as it does sound different with guitar coming in from the side which I prefer even if it might not be the most accurate representation of a live, solo instrument.

I do wonder why the choice was made to make the two song versions different in that regard as my understanding is that both 5.1 and Atmos are new, unless Wilson wanted to keep the same idea of what he did with the original 5.1 mix years ago. (I have that disc, but haven’t pulled it out in years and can’t even remember what he did.)

Back