Steven Wilson The Yes Album 4CD/LP/Blu-Ray Super Deluxe box coming November 24 (with Steven Wilson Dolby Atmos mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here, but I bought it anyway with some accumulated points.

I'm not sure how the coupon thing works, it seems to either be random or it appears when you hit a certain level or something. God knows I've given enough of my money to that company.
I've had the odd £5 off or a % reduction if you spend over £x, they do seem to have come after I haven't bought anything of them for a while!

I am not buying much in the way of discs off them though, mainly now direct from the label, bands or from the likes of Burning Shed, much better choice. So my copy of this album came via eBay and ImportCDs/all-your-music

Last night I compared the 2014 SW 5.1 mix the streaming Atmos mix.

Before I even finished, I jumped off the fence and ordered the new release from Amazon.

WOW!

Back when SW redid his 5.1 mix of “In the Court of the Crimson King”, I remember thinking it’s really not that significantly better. That is why I was kind of on the fence for this one. Well, that plus the original price.

Boy, I was wrong.

My only slight complaint is that the drums & low end on the Atmos release do not seem to be as prevalent in the mix as the old 5.1 (at least on my system).

Last edited:
tell ya what, SDE, I'll buy you if the new SW Atmos mix makes the 'Perpetual Change' middle crossfade occur across the left-right plane (as on the brilliant original mix) instead of the front-back plane (where SW decided to be 'creative').

(yeah, that probably won't happen, so, probably not going to bother.)
In the end I didn't have to buy it, I just streamed it ;> I'm playing it in 5.1 only though.

And yes, it DID happen ; Wilson has 'reverted' the crossfade to Eddy Offord's correct instincts to put it on a left-right plane....but with a twist.

In the original stereo mix, the riff starts in center and moves to the left, then the counter-riff comes in on the right.
In the old 5.1 mix, the riff starts in the center and just...stays there, until the counter-riff comes in on rear channels.
Now in the BluRay Atmos, once again the riff start in center ...but then rotates once counterclockise, coming to rest in the left; then the counter-riff comes in on the right, and they gradually meet in the middle.

I much prefer this to the old 5.1 . Well done, SW. THis was already his best Yes surround mix by far, and he's made it even better.

Of course in full Atmos playback, other stuff is happening in the vertical plane, I'm sure.

In the end I didn't have to buy it, I just streamed it ;> I'm playing it in 5.1 only though.

And yes, it DID happen ; Wilson has 'reverted' the crossfade to Eddy Offord's correct instincts to put it on a left-right plane....but with a twist.

In the original stereo mix, the riff starts in center and moves to the left, then the counter-riff comes in on the right.
In the old 5.1 mix, the riff starts in the center and just...stays there, until the counter-riff comes in on rear channels.
Now in the BluRay Atmos, once again the riff start in center ...but then rotates once counterclockise, coming to rest in the left; then the counter-riff comes in on the right, and they gradually meet in the middle.

I much prefer this to the old 5.1 . Well done, SW. THis was already his best Yes surround mix by far, and he's made it even better.

Of course in full Atmos playback, other stuff is happening in the vertical plane, I'm sure.
So this is the Atmos mix played in 5.1 you're referring to, correct? This version still has SW's original 5.1 right? I'm on the fence with this one as I don't have an Atmos system, but hope to later this year. Very tempting if the Atmos mix is a notable improvement. I liked the old 5.1 version, but I'll have to play it again to hear that Perpetual Change thing.

So this is the Atmos mix played in 5.1 you're referring to, correct?

Yes. (5.2 actually -- 2 subwoofers)

This version still has SW's original 5.1 right?

I have no idea. I streamed it, just the Atmos mix. I did not buy the new SDE set or stream any other components of it (if they are even available as streams).

Last edited:
I'd like to own the Atmos mix, but holding out for an eventual standalone BD release (or at least a release without vinyl). Until then I'm fine with the excellent 2014 panegyric cd/blu-ray release and streaming the Atmos.

the SDE write up says the physical set offers

• 2023 Steven Wilson Dolby Atmos Mix
  • 2023 Steven Wilson 5.1 Mix DTS-HD MA
  • 2023 Steven Wilson 5.1 Mix LPCM
in addition to
  • 2023 Stereo Remaster

I don't think the 2023 non-Atmos 5.1 is available in streaming, so I've not heard it. From comments posted here about SW's liner notes, it seems to be a 'tweaked here and there' version of the 2014 5.1. "This also led me to go back and revise the 5.1 mixes for one or two tracks. These changes are minimal, so I won’t point them out, but if you are familiar with the original 5.1 mixes, you may spot them." -- SW in liner notes

But sjcorne here says nope, it's really just the same 2014 5.1

The middle section of 'Perpetual Change' would settle the issue. Does it merge the two riffs in the front--to-back plane (like the 2014 mix), or the side-to-side plane (like the Atmos mix)?

Last edited:
Yikes! That is weird - skipping back definitely works for me, but if not for others that is not good. As that first blast of YIND is kind of critical! Look forward to other experiences on this one...
You are talking about playing from the disc, he is talking about streaming. And another talks of playing from ripped files. This probably explains the disparities experienced in 'fixing' the missing start.

I'd like to own the Atmos mix, but holding out for an eventual standalone BD release (or at least a release without vinyl). Until then I'm fine with the excellent 2014 panegyric cd/blu-ray release and streaming the Atmos.
Agreed, A real shame they force us to buy vinyl that many of us have no interest in. :mad:

Back