Turntable question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a quad 8 track deck in my first car, a 66 Mustang. It was an under dash unit that had a slide plate mounted on it. When you left the car in unsafe situations you slid out the whole unit and put it in the trunk.

That old deck is the reason i'm here now. It provided some of the best musical experiences of my life. Quad actually died out before I got rid of the car.

Memories.... light the corners of my mind....[/QUOTE]

[video=youtube;HJNrKHv50X8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJNrKHv50X8[/video]

Oh its a car... :eek:

:steering:

Well - it's a "car" in the sense that Crocodile Dundee had a "knife."

442 Toon.jpg

At least it was an accident....mine were hardly accidents.

Well, hell, those old metal garbage cans were just asking for it - they made a hellacious godawful noise when you bashed into them at 3 AM! The new plastic ones are such a letdown.

Thanks Fred! The Royal Scam has been placed in the afternoon queue. :music

-- Jim

You're welcome :)

Just a shame The Royal Scam never made it to the Quad mixing queue... (LOVE that album..).. and worse still supposedly its another Steely Dan album that couldn't be remixed to 5.1 anytime soon due to more missing multi's.. :(

As we spea...er...write, I am listening to Rush's LP "Grace Under Pressure" on my 1977 BIC model 1000 TT, Empire 2000 E/III cartridge, through a Sony SQD-2050 SQ decoder, Heathkit -29 series amplifiers (one for each speaker pair) and four Advent stacks and it's fabulous!

See GOS, you HAVE to do it!

Doug

hahaha - yeah. Spare her the details.... :)

She'll know.. They always know... ;)

Got it! Hide the new turntable!

Or blindfold her when she gets home, take her to the bedroom, handcuff her to the bed and.. then get your TEAC out!

(Err.. well I'll be off.. it's been a long day.. :eek: Goodnight and Good Luck Gene! Goodnight guys! :upthumb

She'll know.. They always know... ;)

Got it! Hide the new turntable!

Or blindfold her when she gets home, take her to the bedroom, handcuff her to the bed and.. then get your TEAC out!(Err.. well I'll be off.. it's been a long day.. :eek: Goodnight and Good Luck Gene! Goodnight guys! :upthumb

Wait a minute...blindfold her...take her to the bedroom...handcuff her..and then get your what out?...oh boy...

All these years I thought it was, "Memories, like the corners of my mind..."

I be damned. I learn somethin new ever damn day.

Then again, I never understood half the words to "Stairway to Heaven" until I heard Tiny Tim sing it, so I got kind of a problem with song lyrics.

Wow. Tiny Tim covered "Stairway to Heaven"? I guess we all learn something every day. You were probably in the group who thought it was "s'cuse me while I kiss this guy" from Hendrix and "there's a bathroom on the right" from CCR.

Funny you should mention that... I still have all my old vinyl (just stereo, no quad), and I've been thinking about it lately. I've even got nice turntable that actually works! I should probably use it or sell it, not just let it go to waste. Trouble is, my audio setup is so digital these days it would take some head-scratching just to connect a turntable to it. Hmm...

Pre-amp that converts to digital with USB out?

I made a solution that works with most good turntables:

I built a platform with heavy (3/4") wood slightly larger than the turntable's base. I put inch-thick rubber feet on the bottom about 2 inches in from the edge. Then I put rubber feet on the bottom of the turntable base. Note that it does not work very well with the plastic bases Garrard and BSR used. It must have a wood or metal base.

Then I put a small amount of foam rubber in the floating springs of the turntable to damp out vibrations. You could stomp on the wood floor and it would not bother the turntable.

The main problem with a subwoofer and a turntable is acoustic feedback (the speaker shaking the record or pickup). As long as the speaker does not shake the arm itself, the above method works.

Another cure is to place a large heavy baffle between the subwoofer and the turntable.

Back