Tweets from Andy P. re: Oranges and Lemons

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wheee!!!

"Mayor Of Simpleton" makes me wanna get up and dance, and I can't even dance!

I am SUCH A DORK! Wheeee!!!

[EDIT] Time to turn it down a bit, but the remote has vanished into thin air! Hope the neighbors are diggin' this... :banana:

I didn't think "Chalkhills And Children" could get any better. Boy, was I wrong. This one actually choked me up a little. Just wonderful...

Okay. First impressions (for whatever those are worth) on the 5.1:

The mixes at first seem almost, I don't want to use the word "conservative," but that's what comes to mind. With that said, they seem to get more interesting as they come along, so it's actually pretty cool. I think a lot of whiz-bang would grow quickly tiresome anyway. Overall, this seems in keeping with Steve Wilson's usual style. It's an unqualified improvement over the stereo mix, and will surely be my go-to version of this classic album from here on in. There's also a frequent, fun feeling of just hanging out in the studio with the band! I sure wasn't expecting that on this one.

The sound is GORGEOUS. You know how sometimes a piece of music sounds so good it almost seems kind of chewy, like you could take a bite out of it? This whole thing is like that. And again, at first it sounded kind of not-very-bright in the top end, but then I realized I was comparing to my memory of the original stereo mix. And granted, that was an 80s pop record, but still, it was pretty busy up there. The more I listened, especially after leaving the room a couple of times and coming back to it, the more I realized that the tonal balance is pretty much exactly right, to my ear at least. The highs are all there; they're just not all jammed together anymore!

Anyway - I hadn't listened to Oranges & Lemons since I heard the 5.1 release announcement way back when, and I'd somewhat forgotten what a brilliant record it really is. And now it's even better! This was certainly worth the wait.

-- Jim

It was a joy and dream come true! Couldn't comment during testing and it was very hard to contain that full satisfaction this one brought home. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think "Chalkhills And Children" could get any better. Boy, was I wrong. This one actually choked me up a little. Just wonderful...
That cut is my fave-by-far on this album - and the album has been one of my go-to favorites since it came out. I am out of my mind waiting to hear this. I sure wish I was home right now, waiting on our very-friendly-yet-mildely-incompetent-postman.

"...a reluctant cannonball, it seems."

My copy arrived today too!
Unfortunately, I got back home from work after 9:30pm, so it's been too late to play the surround mix tonight, but I'm listening to the new stereo mix before bed and will play the surround mix first thing tomorrow morning!

Also, I'm truly overwhelmed by the cornucopia of extras on this one! :banana:

My copy arrived today too!
Unfortunately, I got back home from work after 9:30pm, so it's been too late to play the surround mix tonight, but I'm listening to the new stereo mix before bed and will play the surround mix first thing tomorrow morning!

Also, I'm truly overwhelmed by the cornucopia of extras on this one! :banana:

Huh, I guess I'm surprised I don't have my copy....since we're both in US and I assume both pre-ordered couple months ago from B.Shed...

Huh, I guess I'm surprised I don't have my copy....since we're both in US and I assume both pre-ordered couple months ago from B.Shed...

For reasons I'll never understand, things arrive at different places at different times, and it's different every time!
The only time it's predictable is with a tracking #, one of the reasons I love ordering from amazon.

I always feel a little aggrieved when people outside of the UK seem to get their copies way in advance of me, who lives but 20-odd miles away from Burning Shed HQ :(

Still, if this is as good as those who already have it say it is, it will be worth the wait. Got my shipping notice this morning, so knowing Royal Mail as I do, it'll probably arrive by the weekend...

I should point out before more people start receiving their Blu-Ray discs that there is a typo on the back of the set.
The Instrumental mixes are NOT in 5.1 surround. They are just in stereo like the other reissues.

Besides that, I'll have a lot more to say on the new stereo and surround mixes when I have the time to gather my thoughts on them together, but for now, I'll just say this: GET IT, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!! ;) :banana:

My copy has finally arrived today, 2 weeks after it was dispatched from an English supplier to an English address. Thanks for the delay Royal Mail!! Enjoying it so far.

Mine wasn't posted until last Friday from Burning Shed, so not expecting my Australian delivery for another week unfortunately....with CM postcard of course.

I just spent the last 60+ minutes immersed in the sonic pop bliss that is the new O&L 5.1 mix. Oh my. This is no mere expansion of the original stereo. Rather, each track feels like a brand new interpretation. Previously hidden or buried vocals and instruments pop up from every direction. I haven’t read the liner notes yet but I imagine this is due to Andy’s active involvement (If I recall correctly he was not present for the original mixing sessions). Like Nonsuch crossfades have been removed which doesn’t bother me a bit - I like having the clean intro to Chalkhills and Children. Wonderful fidelity, revelatory mix, great extras and detailed liner notes - this disc is bloody brilliant and sure to be one of my top picks for surround release of the year.

I just spent the last 60+ minutes immersed in the sonic pop bliss that is the new O&L 5.1 mix. Oh my. This is no mere expansion of the original stereo. Rather, each track feels like a brand new interpretation. Previously hidden or buried vocals and instruments pop up from every direction. I haven’t read the liner notes yet but I imagine this is due to Andy’s active involvement (If I recall correctly he was not present for the original mixing sessions). Like Nonsuch crossfades have been removed which doesn’t bother me a bit - I like having the clean intro to Chalkhills and Children. Wonderful fidelity, revelatory mix, great extras and detailed liner notes - this disc is bloody brilliant and sure to be one of my top picks for surround release of the year.

That's great news BM! Even though I'm not such a fan of XTC - I find myself looking forward to getting my copy in the next day or 2.

Back