Tweets from Andy P. re: Oranges and Lemons

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's official!!

From Andy's twitter:
"Yes,the tapes have been found, and beautifully mixed by Steven Wilson.The next XTC 5.1 is SKYLARKING.Sounds so good.Head still spinning 2day"

More good news:

From Stevens facebook, his remix page

Myself and Andy Partridge yesterday, having just listened back to the completed 5.1 surround sound remix of what for many is XTC's masterpiece Skylarking. Coming soon folks!

image.jpg

Noticed this picture was already posted way earlier in another thread - well, we could need another 998 umbrellas anyway!

SW has added this to his FB post:

PS - There were 19 songs on the Skylarking multitracks, 18 finished and one incomplete - all of them are going on the reissue (3 mixed for the first time).

So eager to hear this in surround. Always prefered Nonsuch stereo wise but this I am sure could work very well in surround.

This is fantastic (if not altogether unexpected) news! I anticipate another terrific mix. I only hope SW was able to coax some more warmth out of the tapes. It was never their best-sounding disc (and only marginally improved on the 45 RPM release IMO).

Of the four non-LP tracks found on the multitracks I know that only one was ever issued ("Extrovert"). According to Andy's accounts in Song Stories "Terrorism", "The Troubles" and "Find the Fox" were all presented to, and ultimately rejected by, Todd Rundgren for inclusion. Presumedly with no recordings attempted (demo versions did appear as B-sides). They did start "Let's Make a Den" but Andy was not happy with Todd's suggestions and it was scrapped. So it will be interesting to see what turns up.

It's official!!

From Andy's twitter:
"Yes,the tapes have been found, and beautifully mixed by Steven Wilson.The next XTC 5.1 is SKYLARKING.Sounds so good.Head still spinning 2day"

FANTASTIC news!! This makes my day.

-- Jim

This is fantastic (if not altogether unexpected) news! I anticipate another terrific mix. I only hope SW was able to coax some more warmth out of the tapes. It was never their best-sounding disc (and only marginally improved on the 45 RPM release IMO).

Of the four non-LP tracks found on the multitracks I know that only one was ever issued ("Extrovert"). According to Andy's accounts in Song Stories "Terrorism", "The Troubles" and "Find the Fox" were all presented to, and ultimately rejected by, Todd Rundgren for inclusion. Presumedly with no recordings attempted (demo versions did appear as B-sides). They did start "Let's Make a Den" but Andy was not happy with Todd's suggestions and it was scrapped. So it will be interesting to see what turns up.
Have you heard the phase-corrected version?
Some would say subtle but to me it made it, right.
No doubt Steven will work his magic on this and although I'd rather see earlier albums, if the popularity of Skylarking translates into sales that help things along that's a good thing.
Like any XTC fan it's a day one pre-order for me.
:sun:sun:sun

I'm really looking fwd to Skylarking a lot, so much potential for the new mixes. I see that Andy and Todd R have had some recent twitter wars digging up old arguments about the album - it'd be very interesting to see what Todd might say about the new mixes etc - love it if he'd say "hey, this guy is great, Steven please do a few of my albums!" (not likely!)

I almost feel like there should be a separate thread for Andy P tweets concerning "Skylarking", but for now, here's some more tweets he sent out today:

After a weeks break from painting, doing other APE things,I'm back at it tomorrow.Sorting extras for SKYLARKING 5.1 soon.
TR denied having them for years.Capitol took all his tapes,and ours along with them, to vaults in NY.Thus they were there.
I think SEASON CYCLE is the most surround,or maybe 1000 UMBRELLAS.They all sound great,he did a wonderful job.

Addendum, a timeline for the vinyl reissue and upcoming CD/Blu-Ray release:
Vinyls in a month or 2.Bluray before xmas.

Back