UK - Curtain Call 10th Anniversary DVD/Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It barely can reach 9k.
hxeyB7x.jpeg

I haven't heard this release, but a sharp cutoff below 10kHz suggests some kind of encoding or audio processing error rather than any kind of artistic or production intent. The only similar instance I can think of is the George Benson Breezin' DVD-A which cuts off sharply at 16kHz where the later SACD reissue is fine, and full-range well above 22kHz.

I say this because to do this on purpose you'd have to go out of your way to lop off the frequency response above 10kHz so severely, by putting an extreemely sharp low-pass filter on the output bus. There's no microphones (aside from maybe a harmonica mic), mixing desk, or recording format with such limited bandwidth - even low-bitrate mp3 is faithful to the original frequency response up to 16kHz. You'd have to record at a non-existent sampling rate of 20 (or maybe 22.05, half of the usual CD 44.1) kHz to get this kind of aural haircut above 10kHz.

I can only assume there was some kind of weird bottleneck or error in the export or resampling (or encoding) of the original source material, which is fine, computers often don't behave as expected, these things happen all the time. What's not OK is that no one took the time to QC this properly (if at all) and it becomes a loss for everyone - the people who've bought it have lost time and money, the retailers are losing money on returns and exchanges, and the artist himself surely won't be incentivized to put further Blu-Rays out. Hopefully someone who actually knows what they're doing can assist him if he does want to carry on releasing music in surround.

I was initially put off by what other people were saying about this release ….then I thought stuff it …and ordering this via Amazon US to Australia !
Where else was I going to get this from, certainly not the crazy priced box set, and I’m very happy that I got it.
Sure, the sound quality isn’t great but it isn’t Abysmal ! ( I grew up on early 70’s bootlegs … now some of them WERE abysmal ! )
As a musician, it was great to see Eddies playing and John Wetton ( one of my fav UK (!) bass players) and his voice is utterly fantastic on this release… to be singing like that at his age, was well done compared to some of other “legends” I have seen trying to sing.
The drummer is great and the guitarist is well rehearsed, having to play like Holdsworth.
The close shots of Eddie playing his violin with the rosin coming up from the strings like it was smoking ….looked hot !
Overall, very happy with this purchase.

I haven't heard this release, but a sharp cutoff below 10kHz suggests some kind of encoding or audio processing error rather than any kind of artistic or production intent. The only similar instance I can think of is the George Benson Breezin' DVD-A which cuts off sharply at 16kHz where the later SACD reissue is fine, and full-range well above 22kHz.

I say this because to do this on purpose you'd have to go out of your way to lop off the frequency response above 10kHz so severely, by putting an extreemely sharp low-pass filter on the output bus. There's no microphones (aside from maybe a harmonica mic), mixing desk, or recording format with such limited bandwidth - even low-bitrate mp3 is faithful to the original frequency response up to 16kHz. You'd have to record at a non-existent sampling rate of 20 (or maybe 22.05, half of the usual CD 44.1) kHz to get this kind of aural haircut above 10kHz.

I can only assume there was some kind of weird bottleneck or error in the export or resampling (or encoding) of the original source material, which is fine, computers often don't behave as expected, these things happen all the time. What's not OK is that no one took the time to QC this properly (if at all) and it becomes a loss for everyone - the people who've bought it have lost time and money, the retailers are losing money on returns and exchanges, and the artist himself surely won't be incentivized to put further Blu-Rays out. Hopefully someone who actually knows what they're doing can assist him if he does want to carry on releasing music in surround.
Anybody listen to the original Jap CD ?

Anybody listen to the original Jap CD ?
yes I had it sold it because this one was coming but just rebought it again and am awaiting arrival. See my message in above thread. Sound of the Curtain Call Jap blu ray is as good as the Eddie Jobson 40 years jap blu ray( which was recorded the day after curtain call( same venue etc) and also has 5 UK live tracks on it. Sound is a a solid 7.5

yes I had it sold it because this one was coming but just rebought it again and am awaiting arrival. See my message in above thread. Sound of the Curtain Call Jap blu ray is as good as the Eddie Jobson 40 years jap blu ray( which was recorded the day after curtain call( same venue etc) and also has 5 UK live tracks on it. Sound is a a solid 7.5
Thanks for that info.
So obviously there is a sonic fault somewhere along the chain !

What SteelyDave shared makes sense for the compromised sonic signature I hear. I’m not sure how much this impacts the quality of the surround mix; I’d grant that with a diminished frequency response that a lot of directional cues you’d normally hear are missing. That’s a generous assessment.

Seriously, if the signal chain was way off for any reason, that warrants an exchange IMHO. Given the TLC that Eddie tried to apply for the UK box set, I’d think he’d realize this needs to be fixed when he hears a copy or reports of our dissatisfaction.

So today I played the second half of the Blu Ray audio - Danger Money. John Wetton is made to sound like he’s yelling down the hallway into a $10 microphone, which we know is not accurate.

The keyboards surge during Rendezvous 6:02 which is rather cool until you realize the drums have shrunk to almost nothing at the same time. The Only Thing She Needs + Caesar’s Palace Blues feel rushed; played a little fast, forcing Wetton to barely be able to sing all the words over the pace provided!

Still game for a proper sounding disc, this is just a heartbreak that it’s so compromised.

My UK Curtain Call saga continues... I just received a Japanese copy bought on Ebay (new in shrinkwrap) which was supposed to be the original 2CD + Blu ray but it only contains the Blu ray. As this was never released as a stand alone Blu ray (check discogs) this has to be a counterfeit.... the sound however is way way better... I have asked for a refund. BEWARE!!!!

Attachments

• IMG-0633.jpg
    IMG-0633.jpg
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-0630.jpg
    IMG-0630.jpg
    740.1 KB · Views: 0
My UK Curtain Call saga continues... I just received a Japanese copy bought on Ebay (new in shrinkwrap) which was supposed to be the original 2CD + Blu ray but it only contains the Blu ray. As this was never released as a stand alone Blu ray (check discogs) this has to be a counterfeit.... the sound however is way way better... I have asked for a refund. BEWARE!!!!
Discogs is not a complete database, being user-generated. It is entirely possible this is a legitimate release that has simply not been added to Discogs.

Discogs is indeed not always 100% correct but I challenge anybody to find proof that an OFFICIAL blu ray only (without CDs) release was ever issued in Japan. There was a large box set ltd to 500, a 2CD+ DVD package, a 2CD_+ Blu ray package and a double cd package.

I was initially put off by what other people were saying about this release ….then I thought stuff it …and ordering this via Amazon US to Australia !
Where else was I going to get this from, certainly not the crazy priced box set, and I’m very happy that I got it.
Sure, the sound quality isn’t great but it isn’t Abysmal ! ( I grew up on early 70’s bootlegs … now some of them WERE abysmal ! )
As a musician, it was great to see Eddies playing and John Wetton ( one of my fav UK (!) bass players) and his voice is utterly fantastic on this release… to be singing like that at his age, was well done compared to some of other “legends” I have seen trying to sing.
The drummer is great and the guitarist is well rehearsed, having to play like Holdsworth.
The close shots of Eddie playing his violin with the rosin coming up from the strings like it was smoking ….looked hot !
Overall, very happy with this purchase.
I have now listened to it in pure audio without watching the pretty pictures....it sounds like shit ....I don't know if I can stand to play it again.
Wish I'd listened to you guys more , I would have sent it back !
BTW is the one to get the Japanese one with Sonya Kristina ?

I have the older DVD version from Japan and it looks great and also sounds very good!

I have been going through my to-listen-to mountain and in amongst the pile was this. I had vague memories of posts sayings is diabolical, but I unwrapped it and stuck it on. I lasted a few minutes, its atrocious sound quality. A travesty. I gave up on it, which must be a first!

I have been going through my to-listen-to mountain and in amongst the pile was this. I had vague memories of posts sayings is diabolical, but I unwrapped it and stuck it on. I lasted a few minutes, its atrocious sound quality. A travesty. I gave up on it, which must be a first!
…..and the shameful thing is that Burning Shed, despite all the returns and partial refunds, continue to sell it for 20 pounds. These discs are no more than expensive beercoasters!

…..and the shameful thing is that Burning Shed, despite all the returns and partial refunds, continue to sell it for 20 pounds. These discs are no more than expensive beercoasters!
Agreed. I was one of those who received a partial refund, for which I thank Burning Shed for its integrity. It is unlikely I will ever watch this video again, due to the abysmal sound quality. After all of this outcry from buyers, I am amazed that the manufacturer is not willing to remix the audio and send out replacement disks. What a terrible lost opportunity to properly document the talent and creativity of this great band. At least we still have the original studio albums.

Back