Universal to release DVD-A in 2003

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I don't know if this was mentioned but:

From the Universal site

UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCES ITS COMMITMENT
TO MAKE MUSIC AVAILABLE ON DVD-AUDIO
IN SECOND HALF OF 2003

Santa Monica, California, March 28, 2003 - Universal Music Group (UMG), the world’s largest music company, today announced its commitment to make music available on DVD-Audio (DVD-A). Beginning with twenty U.S. releases slated for the second half of 2003, UMG plans an ongoing program to make a combination of best-selling artists and core catalog titles available on DVD-Audio in major markets worldwide.

Most recordings will be re-mixed and remastered from the original multi-track masters to take advantage of the superior Advanced Resolution surround and stereo sound quality now possible with DVD-Audio. Many of UMG’s DVD-Audio discs will take advantage of the format’s ability to include bonus enhanced content including photos, biographies, lyrics, discographies and videos. UMG DVD-Audio discs will also play on existing DVD-Video players using Dolby Digital™ surround sound.

“Universal has always played a leading role in the development and implementation of new technologies and formats,” said Larry Kenswil, President, eLabs, Universal Music Group. “Over the past five years DVD has established itself as one of the fastest growing formats. The huge penetration of DVD makes DVD-Audio a natural progression for music lovers who are already owners of DVD players, taking them from the familiar world of stereo to the 21st Century world of multi-channel surround sound.”

About Universal Music Group
Universal Music Group is the world’s leading music company with wholly-owned record operations or licensees in 63 countries. Its businesses also include Universal Music Publishing Group, one of the industry's largest global music publishing operations.

Universal Music Group consists of record labels Decca Record Company, Deutsche Grammophon, Interscope Geffen A&M Records, Island Def Jam Music Group, Lost Highway Records, MCA Nashville, MCA Records, Mercury Records, Motown Records, Philips, Polydor, Universal Music Latino, Universal Records, and Verve Music Group as well as a multitude of record labels owned or distributed by its record company subsidiaries around the world. The Universal Music Group owns the most extensive catalog of music in the industry, which is marketed through two distinct divisions, Universal Music Enterprises (in the U.S.) and Strategic Marketing & Commercial Affairs (outside the U.S.). Universal Music Group also includes eLabs, a new media and technologies division.

Universal Music Group is a unit of Vivendi Universal, a global media and communications company.

This is nothing but good news. Universal seems to have very high standards. I am hoping Crime of the Century or SOME Supertramp is on the list. Seeing as they own Island....maybe some Bob Marley? U2?

Warner Brothers......WAKE UP!!!!!!

Universal is releasing some of the better mixed SACD's in my humble opinion. If they do the same awesome job in DVD-A this can only be good news.

Maybe the alternate surround masters they did for the Peter Gabriel discs will appear now on DVD-A!

AFAIK it has never been stated that there are any alternate surround masters - just that the stereo masters for all the albums were transferred to both DSD and 24/96 prior to remastering.

Personally everything I have heard so far leads me to think that Gabriel's catalogue will never see the hi-res light other than on SACD...more's the pity.

Patrick,

What's preventing Universal from remixing Gabriel's stuff in MC for DVD-A (or SACD for that matter)?

John

Good to see you over here!

Just think - if it took him 10 years to produce one stereo album, how long is it going to take him to rework 10 albums into surround!! He'll be dead before he gets to the end of Peter Gabriel II!

cheers

Patrick

Patrick, you are correct. I shouldn't have said "masters" for those 24/96 remixes.

Re-working exisiting works is vastly different than creating brand new work. The PG albums could be done in 6 months if there was a mandate to do so.

Unfortunately, the mandate right now is to shove stereo only non-hybrid products out the door. I will purchase Up as a Multi SACD while I wait for the powers that be pull their heads out of the 2 channel sand.

Peter has fallen in the pattern of creating enough tracks to feed to movie soundtracks and continue to tinker on his own stuff far too long. Ovo anyone?

Love the guy's work, saw him live in 1978, '83 & '86 and hope to yet again.

I was taking the same "stereo is dead" stance before. In fact I vowed to never buy another disc that was only stereo. This lasted for quite a while, however, PG #3 and "Security" are worth having in SACD stereo. The soundstage is quite wide and the dynamics are quite incredible being a SACD disc. I would rather have them in surround but they are quite viable as released.

I agree that they could be done in six months if we weren't talking about Gabriel, but I just can't see it somehow. Still, if someone were to press the button it would probably keep Tchad Blake gainfully employed for a bit!

I wonder if Daniel Lanois has got his head around surround yet? Many of his productions would make fantastic DVD-As - thinking Acadie, Robbie Robertson, Oh Mercy (which I can't believe is going to be a stereo only SACD!), as well as Gabriel here.

I saw PG in 83, 86, 92 and I am going again on Monday - can't wait!

...saw him couple months back in T.O. - great show, no Secret World, sadly, as the new drummer, while great on the (heavy) stuff from Up just can't hack the "delicate" rhythms that Manu brough to the band. Still, fun to see. He's coming back to play an amphitheatre (instead of a stadium show) so I'm not sure how he's gonna pull out the Lepage-like stuff.

As for Danny boy, let's not forget how loverly some of the more famous Eno/Lanois albums would sound done right. There's som album about a tree, partly recorded AFAIK in Lanois' hometown of Hamilton, Ontario, by some Irish post-punk band in the late 80s. Wonder what happened to them...

You too, shark? Just yesterday I was thinking how good that "tree" disc would sound with a good hi-rez m/c mix.

Back