HiRez Poll Vandross, Luther - NEVER TOO MUCH [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Luther Vandross - NEVER TOO MUCH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new Blu-Ray Audio release of the classic Luther Vandross album entitled "Never Too Much".
The Blu-Ray Audio disc features a new Dolby Atmos mix of the album.
This title has been released as part of the ongoing SDE Surround Sound Series and is still available to order here: https://www.thesdeshop.com/products/sde-exclusive-luther-vandross-never-too-much-blu-ray-audio

(y) :) (n)

cover_sticker_750_whitebg.jpg

back_1500.jpg

ocard1500.jpg

open2_1500.jpg

open_1500.jpg

This is simply my favourite SDE release so far. I truly hope more Soul/RnB content will be released in the coming months/years.

The Multichannel mix is solid and the fidelity for both mixes is sublime.

Thanks to Paul and Sony for this piece of sonic Heaven!

An easy 10 for me...

I have to totally agree with both fredblue and Simon A that this R&B 'treasure' deserves a 10. GREAT music, GREAT ATMOS remix and Luther's voice is truly A GIFT!

His over 7 minute version of Burt Bacharach's A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME is a mini masterpiece.......Ooooohhhh, BABY!

Now if they would only release the Isaac Hayes classic HOT BUTTERED SOUL into DOLBY ATMOS!

I had some time alone on Sunday morning and had the chance to listen to the blu-ray...three (or was it four?) times consecutively. Love the songs, the production, the sound and the excellent mix. I had listened on Apple Music previously, but the blu-ray is superior. Thank you to Paul at SDE as well as the Sony team for making this happen. At this time, I think we are fortunate to get so many fine options in surround, and something for almost everyone.

Here's my initial impressions through a few of the tracks when listening on my 7.1 system: Immaculate sound, but too conservative a use of the surround sound space. When things do come out at you from behind, they aren't distracting, but I definitely feel like more could have been done here.

But again, the sound is IMMACULATE, and if that's what drives you more than active use of the surround sound field, this is a winner. I'd have to listen more to give a final score (I had to stop a few tracks in for today), but leaning around a 7.

Here's my initial impressions through a few of the tracks when listening on my 7.1 system: Immaculate sound, but too conservative a use of the surround sound space. When things do come out at you from behind, they aren't distracting, but I definitely feel like more could have been done here.

But again, the sound is IMMACULATE, and if that's what drives you more than active use of the surround sound field, this is a winner. I'd have to listen more to give a final score (I had to stop a few tracks in for today), but leaning around a 7.
absolutely, more than fair enough for initial impressions, however i would say please don't vote until you've had the chance to play it through several times more maybe? šŸ™ in Surround terms, i'd say it's it's a grower, not a show-er!

to me a Surround presentation this deftly executed could never merit just a "7". i save my "7"'s for the just above mediocre.

yes, it is no Surround showcase to wow your friends with but the Atmos mix tastefully broadens the scope and expands the soundfield of the original in a very musical way, panning and placement always seems to suit the material and never draws unwarranted attention to itself.

let's face it, it was not an "everything but the kitchen sink" production in the first place, the original album's a fairly sparse affair with slick yet uncomplicated arrangements and not a multi-layered effect-strewn affair.

the Surround usage at times gives but a sprinkling of sparkle to a track. rarely yet at other times it's a more whizzbang effect but whatever is happening around and about and above you (not a great deal for the most part, admittedly) suits whatever's happening musically in the song itself, most of which is in all fairness anchored to the front soundstage because let's face it the musical heart and soul of it all is Luther.

Luther's at the centre of the stage singing his heart out and the band are right there with him, upfront, all as it should be. it just feels right.

to me it's an artful well-crafted mix of a tight band backing a talented singer, songwriter, arranger and interpreter of song on a strong set of tracks that flows all too quickly, it's all over before you know it!

the Blu-ray disc itself is similarly simple, unsophisticated in it's approach but it works and does everything it's supposed to do.

does that also make the mix workmanlike, as the actual disc implementation is workmanlike? i mean, the mix gets everything right but does no one thing spectacularly.

maybe to some listeners but i feel that for material i find less compelling, or music of a different style with more complex production values, mixed and presented in this way, i may award a score closer to an "8" but here i'm awarding a perfect "10".

10! So happy I wrote a little tune.

"A chair is not a chair unless you are encircled by multiple objects that make you duck your head... After three strikes courtesy of Mark Knopfler, Quadro Nuevo, and Pearl Jam... I can finally start my weekend, inspired by true immersion. the nectar of the gods!":D

Iā€™m trying to be more judicious with the 10s these days. And Iā€™m trying to find a reason to not give this one a 10.

I canā€™t. Classic album. Great fidelity. Surround mix suits the album perfectly.

And not an album I expected from SDE as it wasnā€™t a particularly big hit on that side of the pond.

Well done! Thanks Paul!

Fantastic record; Luther's breakthrough into mainstream Top 40 radio as well as the Urban charts. A wonderful set of songs, Luther in perfect voice, producing and arranging the entire affair himself, putting all his talents on display. Cut at a state-of-the-art New York studio with AAA engineers - it could not be better material and it's so welcome in multichannel.

The only reason I give it a 9 rather than a 10 is the lack of a dedicated 5.1 mix. The Atmos content decodes perfectly via Dolby Digital 3/2 on my vintage Sony AVR, but sounds a bit thin due to lack of a dedicated LFE channel.

(I know, "Get a newer receiver!" But the newer MC AVRs with a decent phono stage at a decent price are few and far between. I can't afford them, and I don't want to run an outboard preamp, so...)

Fantastic record; Luther's breakthrough into mainstream Top 40 radio as well as the Urban charts. A wonderful set of songs, Luther in perfect voice, producing and arranging the entire affair himself, putting all his talents on display. Cut at a state-of-the-art New York studio with AAA engineers - it could not be better material and it's so welcome in multichannel.

The only reason I give it a 9 rather than a 10 is the lack of a dedicated 5.1 mix. The Atmos content decodes perfectly via Dolby Digital 3/2 on my vintage Sony AVR, but sounds a bit thin due to lack of a dedicated LFE channel.

(I know, "Get a newer receiver!" But the newer MC AVRs with a decent phono stage at a decent price are few and far between. I can't afford them, and I don't want to run an outboard preamp, so...)
Understood. I donā€™t have Atmos either and am always hoping the Atmos mixes fold down well.

This one does. But I also have a newer AVR and it thumps!

Anyone detecting any center channel activity?
Every time I check, my center is silent.
I checked to make sure itā€™s functioning!

Not that the mix needs it. I guess Iā€™ve just assumed that Atmos, by default would utilize the center. Maybe the mixing engineer intentionally silenced it?

Anyone detecting any center channel activity?
Every time I check, my center is silent.
I checked to make sure itā€™s functioning!

Not that the mix needs it. I guess Iā€™ve just assumed that Atmos, by default would utilize the center. Maybe the mixing engineer intentionally silenced it?
Sparsely used. Itā€™s used briefly for the vocals in the intro of ā€œSugar and Spiceā€ for example.

Back