Was any of Jimi Hendrix in quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Does anyone know if any of Jimi's music was done in quad?
I would love to hear Electric ladyland in surround. In the 90's when I was
discovering Dolby surround, I bought a sony receiver that had a surround
function, I think it was some kind of matrix something or other, and we had
a cd in (4 channel) and it sounded so good. Almost like an old matrix sound.
That always had me thinking, especially now.

I did find a discussion from a few years ago, there was a dvd audio that was never sold.
someone has it, does anyone happen to know about it?
Electric ladyland

Though much of Hendrix's will decode using the various matrixes because of phase tricks, there is no known quad music. There were upmixes that were done several years ago by someone but nothing retail.

Hendrix becomes a bit difficult to upmix because the stereo mixes are rather unconventional, even moreso that other artists from that era. "Axis" took a major effort from me, as I had to post-process a ton after SPEC via re-panning channels into different spots in the soundfield and unbalancing the channel balance to create what I felt was an acceptable and balanced soundfield.

Some of those older GART mixes did very few of these things. I'm sure you'll see a lot of people out there give Hendrix albums their best shot, but I can imagine that very few of them are going to give you something worth listening to unless they put in some major effort.

That is a shame.
The Hendrix stuff would be the "one to have" if it were done up
correctly. I can see that it would be difficult to do.
perhaps someday we'll see it.

In a fall 1971 Quadraphonic Special supplement to Billboard, there was an interview with Eddie Kramer where he talks about the great possibilities of Hendrix quad mixes. he doesn't say it's in the works or has been already done, but he clearly was on board with it.

Hendrix's "Crash Landing" also appeared in one of those old mail order catalogs, but even then, the title is still considered vapourware because a copy has never turned up.

Heck, if you want to hear Hendrix in quad, just put "Electric Ladyland" through an SQ decoder. Especially, "Gypsy Eyes"

Doug

Hendrix's "Crash Landing" also appeared in one of those old mail order catalogs, but even then, the title is still considered vapourware because a copy has never turned up.

That was one of those that I had on perpetual order with my local record store. Of course, back then I didn't realize that no one really had it, I just thought my small town record store couldn't get it.

K

Wasn't there an official quad version of Jimi Hendrix Greatest Hits?
Anyway even the GART version of Electric Ladyland is fun. Of course Jimi didn't make it into the quad era, so just like the Beatles, no real quad.

I'd almost be willing to bet that Hendrix was very aware of the quadraphonic development going on in the late sixties, though.

He was very savvy in the recording studio. Hence the extensive use of phase alteration to achieve that acid trip effect.

Doug

I'd almost be willing to bet that Hendrix was very aware of the quadraphonic development going on in the late sixties, though.

He was very savvy in the recording studio. Hence the extensive use of phase alteration to achieve that acid trip effect.

Doug

I'll bet your right, FZ was into it, in fact Frank, was talking about then just what is happening now, streaming music.
He was looking at cable tv and the ability to do so, as cable can carry so much more than TV.
But he did say people like to hold, toush and feel, regarding the (then) album cover, liner notes and artwork.
and he thought it would never take off due to that. He even mentioned quad streaming!!

I have a fan made quad up mix Of Electric Ladyland DVD-a that sounds amazing on the right gear, thank you Carlton Audio.

There is no genuine Hendrix quad in my experience. I have everything Hendrix did.

Are you Linda from Imwan? No need to clarify anything, I'll stick with my opinion and you can stick with yours.

Back