Well, I was bored this afternoon ...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadzilla

Exiled QQ Veteran
Since 2002/2003
I am the worst impulse-buyer on the planet. I see it, I buy it. Must be my female side. I bumped into a Sony DVP-NC650V DVD/SACD player on eBay and I had to get it. A hundred and twenty (CDN180) bucks and I have a DTS/DD/SACD/CDR, etc. universal player for my Sansui QRX-6500 in my bedroom. I know that you guys don't think much of the non-DVD-A stance that Sony has taken, but while it isn't built the same as my Toshiba CD-9200 (and what is?), I think this will be great ... and I don't even have a TV in there! LOL Anybody have one of these out there? Can't wait for Avalon to get here. By the way ... I am still bored! Mike. :mad:@:

P.S. Moderator, in the old forum, Quadzilla used to have a capital 'Q' ... if I am good, could I have it back please? :D

Have one & it's not a bad machine. Sounds like yours is used but if not this machine will sound better after it's burned in. Only negative I have with it is that is that I beleive it's bass manager is set at 100 Hz (or 120). If you can bypass this will be better off. Anyways it should be a law that you must get the Beck - Sea Change disk (best multi mix in any format) & don't touch Meat Loaf BOOH. Enjoy!

I have both of the Meatloaf and Beck SACDs actually, and I am not sure why all the hatred over the Meatloaf release. I will admit that it is a bit lacking in places, but it is much better than the majority of DVD-Audio titles that I paid a lot more for.

The DVD player will be my first "universal" player, but I have two other Sony SACD players (not DVD) and I can honestly say that while I have one of the best DVD-Audio players (SD-9200 Toshiba), I really think that I would prefer a TRUE SACD player to a so-called universal one. I hope that I am pleasantly surprised, but if not I have a decent Multi-Ch player for a little money. Mike.

I agree - BOOH is a fun SACD indeed - sure, it could be a bit better, but it seems entirely in the spirit of the disc.

I bought the same player myself when Best Buy opened up in T.O. - it was the same day I bankrupted myself buying a $5000 TV on credit, and I figured, what the hell?! :)

With my RP82 it's nice to avoid the format hell and just await good titles...

If it's at all your cup of tea, the SACD of West Side Story is pretty amazing IMO. BJ's The Stranger is a nice workout for your CC, as the mix switches song to song between a quad-ish 4 speaker sound to a centre heavy 5.1 mix. Again, the fidelity alone makes it a great disc. Tapestry is another disc worth taking a listen too, quite quad-ish in spirit, you might like it.

Frankly, even though I'm hardly a Beck fan, all you crazy guys on this forum are really pushing me to pick it up unheard.

Yeah, I love you guys that much.... :)

Hi,
This is amazing,
A couple of months ago when I picked up the Sony 5disc'r, which was their demo model at THE SONY STORE for $300cdn, I couldn't find many reviews or people who had it.
The major positive thing I heard was when I was at BayBloor Radio (a major highend shop in TorontO) and the rep pointed to a much more expensive Sony sacd player and told me that the audio section's were identical.

He said that the 650 is not progscan which is the main reason it was cheaper. Anyway, since i use a Panny rp82 for video, mlti disc mltich were my hotbuttons for this purchase and I have to admit (even though i have nothing to compare it to) I am completly happy with this purchase and along with my 7disc JVC FA92SL dvd-a player I'm off to the HIREZ races.

I do feel however that the JVC seems a little crisper for dvd-a than the panny which also plays dvd-a and the reviews seem to bear that out. I called JVC's customer service which suggested to me that MLTI disc dvd/dvd-a players have a tendency to be made more with audio in mind, which seems to make some sense.

Anywho it's great to find people in the forum who share some of the same equipment so if a certain disc was giving me a problem I could ask if anyone else with the same player had the same experiences.

Another good reason to be a member!!

Peter m.

heh, awesome... THREE DVD players!! wow, you da man... I often astonish my friends that I have two sitting there... :)

I bought the '82 for the DVD quality (had to replace a long suffering but long used LD/DVD combo player that was going to cost $800 to repair...) - I had already purchased a couple DVD-As pre-player, just to listen to the 5.1 mix in DD (You're the One and Buena Vista SC). The extra coin for a incredibly well reviewed player that -happened- to do dvd-a seemed like a good idea...

the SACD player was justified by the fact that I didn't want my '82 to be overused - in fact, I never use it for dvds, just cds and sacds.

What are you using to switch between your two units? I've posted elsewhere that I'm using simply a pair of the Radio Shack AV switches - hardly an audiophile option, but they really do work fantastically with no noticeable loss in quality or even DB level.

As for disc issues, I've only got problems on the '82 with the two Queen discs - they like to put pauses between the tracks on the MLP layer. DTS plays back fine. A small quirk, one I can (sort of) live with, but would love a firmware update to adress. The sony has been completely solid, though sometimes it needs a bit of a reboot when it decides that it's in CD mode instead of SACD on some hybrid discs.

Hi Sharc,
Well, I had an extra reason for not wanting to overdue it on the rp82.

It's SDI modified and was sold to me that way for $400US because I was one of the Beta testers of the HOLO3D PCI card Video Scaler from Immersive.com.
This scaler goes in the computer and works with (generally a 10bit ATI vid card)

It has comosite /s'vid/component/sdi inputs and will take any outboard (meaning not pc related product) 480i input and scale it to whatever rez your display can handel.

I scale everything to 1920x1080 on my tosh 65h80. The sdi part keeps the signal digital all the way through so there's no a/d d/a transfers which can affect the picture.

Anyway Hit Immersive.com to learn more.

To answer your switching question, I have a Denon 5800/03 which has 2 sets of analogs so i don't need outboard switching.

Peter m.

Back