New Kit - I finally have Blu Ray!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Failed Muso

800 Club - QQ All-Star
So maybe 10-15 years ago, I used to be at the cutting edge of multi-channel kit. Working in the electrical retail industry enabled me to get top gear at great prices, but when I finally escaped the clutches of retail management, that bonus was no more. And then shortly after, I encountered the one thing that scuppers most audiophiles dreams and ambitions...

Kids.

Love them as much as I do, their arrival spelt the end of me parting with surplus income on new gear. So, my Sony STR-DB1070QS & Pioneer DV-575A remained in place until this Sunday just gone. After one thing or another, and me finally clearing a shed load of debt, I have found myself with a bit of spare cash accumulating in the bank. And so it was that I decided to finally get a Blu Ray player and a receiver that could handle it. My budget was limited, but at least I had a budget! And with the possibility of moving house looming in the coming year, I decided to simply "get on the ladder" and look to build a proper system when I'm in my new abode.

So I ventured to my local Richer Sounds, who always seem to come up trumps for me, and I had a very pleasant hour chewing the fat with the store manager, discussing my needs vs. my budget. I finally decided to plump for a Pioneer BDP-450 Blu Ray player and a Yamaha RX-V373 receiver. I did consider getting a less expensive BR player and keeping the DV-575 for SACD and DVD-A use, but the offer on the BDP450 was pretty good. As for the receiver, having little experience with what was current, I initially focused in on a Sony box that was 7.2 and seemed to have a lot of bells and whistles for the money. But I was talked out of this on the grounds of audio quality and pointed at the Yamaha which was less well specified on paper, but I was assured that it would run rings around the Sony.

Getting the gear home led to a full on unplugging/rewiring session, which always seem to frustrate me. In my next installation, I am going to work very hard on laying flexible foundations in regards to cable lengths, disciplined routing and adequate positioning so that if I need to swap out a bit of gear, it's not a stupidly long job with various knock on effects! ;)

All that said, I was very impressed with my purchases although I'm still tweaking the settings. For example, I'm struggling to figure out a comfortable way to use the HDMI control features between the receiver and my Samsung LEDTV. I'm quite happy to have 3 or 4 remotes, but my wife, on the other hand, is not! But that's something for a rainy Sunday afternoon. The first BR disc I bought was Blade Runner, a habit I have repeated over the years with DVD and VHS. Suffice to say, it's the best I've ever seen it. As for audio discs, I've yet to buy a BR specific audio disc, but it will probably be something from the KScope pages. I just pre-ordered the Yes & XTC releases on DVD-A so maybe Steven Wilson's forthcoming EP will be the first.

Anyway, the STR-1070 and DV-575 have replaced older kit in my office/studio and the Sony STR-DE585 that was in there will now go in the bedroom along with my other DV-575.

So, I finally feel a bit more up to date, albeit on a fairly basic level. Roll on next year and hopefully having the ability to get right back into a case of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) ;)

Well let me be the first to say congratulations on the wife, the kids, and your triumphant return to modern surround! That set up will do quite well for a while, I'm sure! Good luck on the possible move... because I would guess you'll get a little crazy with this stuff when THAT happens!

Back