What do you think will be the most easily played quadraphonic distribution format moving forward?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlhess

I have been digitizing tapes for about two decades and recently have digitized a significant percentage of a Canadian composer's quadraphonic electronic music compositions. We do not see a large market for this music and many of the people interested are not techno-geeks. We are thinking downloads, perhaps via HD Tracks, but I have been unsuccessful in finding definitive information on file format that will make it playable on a wide variety of platforms (both computer based and media player based). The files are four discrete mono files at 192/24.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks and cheers,

Richard

I would say the most commonly accepted format is 96kHz/24-bit flac files.

A lot of equipment will play 192kHz & 384kHz sample rates at 24-bit but not all will handle that in 4.0/5.1/7.1 etc. What ever you do use, add a silent Centre channel as that makes it the most compatible for surround, some equipment doesn't know how to handle Quad.

I have been digitizing tapes for about two decades and recently have digitized a significant percentage of a Canadian composer's quadraphonic electronic music compositions. We do not see a large market for this music and many of the people interested are not techno-geeks. We are thinking downloads, perhaps via HD Tracks, but I have been unsuccessful in finding definitive information on file format that will make it playable on a wide variety of platforms (both computer based and media player based). The files are four discrete mono files at 192/24.

Thanks and cheers,

Richard
I totally agree with what Duncan said. Can I assume that you’re also a fan of Suzanne Ciani? You should post more often.

I would say the most commonly accepted format is 96kHz/24-bit flac files.

A lot of equipment will play 192kHz & 384kHz sample rates at 24-bit but not all will handle that in 4.0/5.1/7.1 etc. What ever you do use, add a silent Centre channel as that makes it the most compatible for surround, some equipment doesn't know how to handle Quad.
Manufacturers should all make that compatibility standard. I save my files as 4.0 quad otherwise I have to swap around my computer's sound card outputs. The 4.0 files play properly via the Oppos analogue outputs. If you try to check DR value of a quad file with added blank channels it will show an incorrect low value.

Adding the blank channels is a workaround that should be unnecessary!

I wish that everyone would boycott equipment that is not compatible with 4.0 and that does not have at least one set of analogue inputs!

Last edited:
I wish that everyone would boycott equipment that is not compatible with 4.0 and that does not have at least one set of analogue inputs!
That would leave only the Oppo units (and maybe a few other higher-end players), which aren’t even made anymore.

In my experience only DTS MA or HD 4.0 works reliably on all modern avrs' as far as quad goes.More so than high bitrate flac.DTS ensures compatability due to its brand unlike Flac.

That would leave only the Oppo units (and maybe a few other higher-end players), which aren’t even made anymore.
And not all OPPO units have analog jacks. Most people don’t have any type of DVD player and Netflix will be leaving the DVD rental business by some time in September.

In my experience only DTS MA or HD 4.0 works reliably on all modern avrs' as far as quad goes.More so than high bitrate flac.DTS ensures compatability due to its brand unlike Flac.
FLAC playback (via USB or network connected HDD) is pretty universal nowadays and the encoding software is available for free, unlike the encoding software for creating DTS-HD MA bit-streams. However for pure universal playback, encoding to LPCM is also an option!

The biggest issue is finding a multi-channel playback device that can connect to your AVR...

Exactly then everyone should just stay with vintage equipment the rest is just pure crap! Time for the manufacturer's to smarten up as well! Sadly I don't expect that it is likely happen just look at what they did with quad. And yes I am still very bitter over that fiasco even after all these years!

My advice, stick with the high end units and forsake all the rest! Older used Oppos are affordable. And don't forget about using the computer, I've seldom had any problem playing back anything that you can throw at it, if it's not to your liking you can easily convert the format.

https://quark.cykik.com/
There is the (Sansui) QS Quadraphonic matrix option - matrix encode surround sound (downmixed to 4.0) content with QS and make the content available on any good quality stereo media [minimal phase shift & frequency response errors] for distribution.

QS can be partially decoded with a simple passive Hafler/DynaQuad speaker matrix setup and Dolby Pro-Logic 2 music mode in addition to correct decoding with QS/RM decoders in older Quad equipment and the new Surround Master made by Involve Audio.

Kirk Bayne

Thanks and cheers,

Richard
My thoughts, when I have them, rarely agree with the general public. But I’ll second the 96k, 24 bit FLAC as a decent distribution format. I don’t have an opinion on how many channels to use, but if you got the sounds, I’d use the channels.

https://quark.cykik.com/
There is the (Sansui) QS Quadraphonic matrix option - matrix encode surround sound (downmixed to 4.0) content with QS and make the content available on any good quality stereo media [minimal phase shift & frequency response errors] for distribution.

QS can be partially decoded with a simple passive Hafler/DynaQuad speaker matrix setup and Dolby Pro-Logic 2 music mode in addition to correct decoding with QS/RM decoders in older Quad equipment and the new Surround Master made by Involve Audio.

Kirk Bayne
You but you would have to re-educate the public about the Dyna speaker setup. Yes Quark and Involve QS and plain old RM are all options, but with discrete formats, and in particular flac I see no reason for matrix encoding anymore.

The content could be offered in (QS encoded stereo) and discrete (if from a download service) with Hafler speaker matrix connection info on the download website.

Kirk Bayne

Like others have said, just use FLAC. It's widely supported, royalty-free, and pretty simple.

You should also consider eClassical, which is run by the folks behind BIS records, but has many other labels as well.

If you're concerned about some of your listeners not being technically inclined, you might want to consider authoring a DVD Audio/Video as well and either having a small run pressed or using a DVD print-on-demand service. You may want to even consider (don't grab the pitchforks please) just offering it as a DVD-Video with a DTS audio track. But if you do this please make FLAC downloads available as well :)

https://www.flickeralley.com/mod/mod-faqs/
This MOD DVD-Video maker doesn't say if they use Dolby Digital, DTS or both, but, although there's a small sound quality/accuracy loss by using Dolby Digital and DTS, these methods are widely used (especially Dolby Digital) and a DVD-Video can be encoded with both Dolby Digital and DTS (containing the same content).

Kirk Bayne

Back