What do you think will be the most easily played quadraphonic distribution format moving forward?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The content could be offered in (QS encoded stereo) and discrete (if from a download service) with Hafler speaker matrix connection info on the download website.

Kirk Bayne
That makes the most sense to me.

QS encoding can be placed on all of these media:
- Vinyl records
- Various tape formats
- FM radio
- CDs
- DVDs
- Blu Rays

They can be played back with stereo equipment most people have.

They can be decoded with any of these decoders:
- Headphones (RM Dichophony)
- Hafler diamond
- Dynaquad
- EV Stereo 4
- Sansui QS
- Sansui QS variomatrix
- UniQuad UQ-1, UQ-4, UQ-8
- Dolby Surround, Pro Logic I, Pro Logic II
- Surround Master

Nothing else has such a wide compatibility.

uq-1-o.gif

I have been digitizing tapes for about two decades and recently have digitized a significant percentage of a Canadian composer's quadraphonic electronic music compositions. We do not see a large market for this music and many of the people interested are not techno-geeks. We are thinking downloads, perhaps via HD Tracks, but I have been unsuccessful in finding definitive information on file format that will make it playable on a wide variety of platforms (both computer based and media player based). The files are four discrete mono files at 192/24.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks and cheers,

Richard
You might also want to talk to the folks at Mode Records, who release a lot of this material already and may be interested in licensing it? 5.1 Surround – Mode Records

Back