What is the least expensive way to experince quality quadraphonic sound.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elguapo511

I have a pioneer qx-949. it seems to work well, but I feel like I could be more impressed.

should I purchase a quad demodulator and plug it in to a receiver?
Or
should I purchase a new receiver?

I have a pioneer qx-949. it seems to work well, but I feel like I could be more impressed.

should I purchase a quad demodulator and plug it in to a receiver?
Or
should I purchase a new receiver?

Honestly, it's not a Politically Correct answer, but Bittorrent/Hotfile and the beautiful DVD-Audio, DTS CD and DVD-based Blu-ray conversions made of quad reels and such are the least expensive way of experiencing quality quad. Plus, some are from discrete reels that were never released commercially, or only in matrixed form, so you're hearing them with a quality level that no matrix decoder, even the Tate or PC decoding, could provide. Get a new receiver that decodes all the various 'modern' digital formats and also has an external discrete 6-8 channel input - then you can connect any matrix decoder or demodulator in addition to decoding the modern formats.

uhhhh - politically correct or not - you need a sansui qrx 7001 - and use the qs synth mode - you will never look back and can thank me for the insight when you have time.

william

uhhhh - politically correct or not - you need a sansui qrx 7001 - and use the qs synth mode - you will never look back and can thank me for the insight when you have time.

william

I agree completely. I have a Sansui QRX-6001, which if I'm not mistaken is basically the same except that the 7001 has remote-control capability. elguapo, I have followed your other threads about CD-4 problems, and I suspect that if your Pioneer has a bad demodulator, that there is probably more wrong with it. If you can get a Sansui receiver of the QRX-x001 series in good working order you'll be very impressed, I'm sure. Like William, I prefer either the 6001 and 7001 to the 8001 or 9001 as they tend to be less costly to buy or repair.

Here's an honest answer, but not very PC. The CD-4 demodulator in your QX-949 performs acceptably, if it is in proper working order. I sold ALL the major receivers in the Quad heyday, and it was the best selling receiver. It looks beautiful, and has all three Quad systems in one box, which is rare. I prefer an actual oscilloscope, like the SH-3433 Technics, which I still have on my main system.

If you're looking to decode SQ and/or QS matrix, most decoders do a better job of both decoding and synthesizing than the QX-949. I agree with Disclord that a modern surround receiver with analog inputs and a quality demodulator, SQ and QS decoders will perform best. I run 5 surround systems, only one of which is an old quad setup. Two of them have CD-4 and SQ "black boxes" added on. A modern surround system can do it all and you can pick up a nice used receiver cheap. I picked up an Onkyo TX-SR504 this summer in a record store for $39!!!!!!! It runs my #3 system. My main system has B&K separates (preamp/tuner & 2 power amps, and my #2 system has a Denon AVR-3801.

I hope that I haven't offerded you about your QX-949. Honestly, it's beautiful with a nice tuner and great build quality, but it is lacking in performance. You can do better, even for cheap. For SQ & QS, separate decoders added-on to your QX-949 will give you a very nice performing Quad system. Old Marantz and Sansui Quad receivers sound good, have nice amps, work well and decode well. You'll want to have them refurbished and add on a QS decoder and CD-4 to the Marantz and an SQ decoder to the Sansui. Hopefully, I haven't clouded the issue with facts. lol!!

Linda

I have to agree the Sansui QRX 7001 is the way to go I use mine on a daily basis and run it thru my tv I have question which mode do I run it thru ? I been using the surround mode , is this the best way ? I use four DAK 1 1/2 series speakers which seem to give me best sound for this application.

Use the QS decoding mode, not the QS synthesizer - the QS mode will decode Dolby Surround encoded shows 'pretty much' correctly (Lf and Rf will appear a bit to the side wall's but CF, CB and sounds panned to either side of CF will decode correctly). The Synthesizer mode will distort and stretch everything into a U, pulling Lf and Rf around to the back speakers, with no Center Back localization - use it only if you know a program isn't surround encoded or 5.1 (which will be mixed down to Dolby Surround by your set if you have it as 2 channel output).

can you please reccomend a quality/inexpensive/badass demodulator to add to my QX-949?
And will this decode SQ and cd-4?
My amp has great power but I just dont ever feel like it is working like everyone in this forum describes that it should.

elguapo,

If you can get a JVC-4DD5 CD-4 demodulator in working order, you will be able play CD-4 records. For SQ you'd need a separate decoder (Lafayette made pretty good units toward the end of the quad era, and, of course, Tate made the best). To my knowledge, no one made a CD-4 demodulator/SQ decoder in a single unit, and I'm not sure how many 4-channel aux inputs your QX-949 has, and you'd have to have some way of switching your phono inputs from one decoder to the other. That could get really complicated. Your best bet is to get the CD-4 unit and you'd connect your phono to it, then you'd connect the CD-4 4-channel outputs to your aux inputs, and then connect the 2-channel out on the demodulator to your phono inputs on the receiver. That way, you can use the matrix decoders built into it.

I have said several times (and you've never responded) that your CD-4 demodulator in your receiver is NOT working properly. You might be able to find someone to repair it. Too bad I don't live closer, as I'd be happy to come over and check and see if you have it all hooked up properly. Just remember: the CD-4 radar light should ONLY come on when you're playing a CD-4 record.

just received the JVC 4dd5 and hooked it up to a modern yamah 5.1 receiver. Quite amazing. I have full range speakers and no sub woofer and it works really well.

Congratulations! I'm so glad you were able to finally hear what all the CD-4 fuss is about. By the way, if you don't have it, allow me to recommend Nilsson Schmilsson on Quadradisc for your listening pleasure.

Yup, good one Joe. The quad version of "Jump Into the Fire" is so much better than the regular.

Also, Gordon Lightfoot, Sundown and all Tomitas.

Doug

Use the QS decoding mode, not the QS synthesizer - the QS mode will decode Dolby Surround encoded shows 'pretty much' correctly (Lf and Rf will appear a bit to the side wall's but CF, CB and sounds panned to either side of CF will decode correctly). The Synthesizer mode will distort and stretch everything into a U, pulling Lf and Rf around to the back speakers, with no Center Back localization - use it only if you know a program isn't surround encoded or 5.1 (which will be mixed down to Dolby Surround by your set if you have it as 2 channel output).

I have to admit that I loved my old QSD-2 quad synthesizer on stereo music - I loved that stretched "U" effect! Do any of the current commercially available surround methods come close to this effect?

Another question.
What is a relatively inexpensive but quality SQ decoder? Along the same lines at the JVC 4dd5.

Tates are clearly the best, but they're not cheap. $400 + these days. I was in the business in the Quad heyday and beyond. In my opinion, most SQ circuitry is poor, including nearly everything built in to a receiver. Although I intend to upgrade to a Tate one of these days, I own the first three decoders listed and would highly recommend any of them.

1-Sony SQD-2020 was one of the first quality SQ decoders. It featured full-logic wavematching, the most advanced for its 1973 vintage. It can also be used as a Quad preamp. including to convert a stereo receiver to Quad. You would still need an amp for the rear channels in using it with stereo receiver/amp. If you're a gearhead, as I am, you can never have enough inputs. This box will allow for expansion and control of a Quad system. It also has an RM decoding position, which I've found to be adequate for QS decoding & synthesis. I could not find current listings on E-Bay, Craig's List, or Amazon for this piece. A few years ago, I'd seen them for $100-200. $229.95 was the original list price. http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-SQD-2020.html IMHO, SQD-2020 and 4-DD5 are the two boxes from the heyday that will allow you both flexibility and decoding/demodulating. I've owned them both for 40 years.

2-Sony SQD-2010 was similar to SQD-2020, with a different chipset. It has nothing but an on/off switch and is STRICTLY for SQ decoding, not QS or synthesizing. I couldn't find current pricing, but I'd expect the cost to be 1/2 of what the SQD-2020 costs, proportionately the same as when they were new.

3-If you have Marantz Quad gear, you have an expansion slot which will fit their SQA-2 and 2B modules, which are their full-logic decoders. I own an SQA-1 front-back logic decoder, which I retired when I bought the SQA-2B. SQA-2/2B have similar performance to the Sonys above.

4-The Lafayette SQ-L is not full-logic, as the others I've listed, but the results are surprisingly good. This box can give many full logic decoders a run for their money.

5-Lafayette later made an SQ-W full logic wavematching, which is listed at $66 today. It has 2 synthesizer circuits. A good value. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260990128548+&item=260990128548

6-Lafayette built some great decoders into their receivers, too. Their LR-4000 was highly rated in the day, and is still viewed as a high quality, full-logic wavematching decoder.

Another question.
What is a relatively inexpensive but quality SQ decoder? Along the same lines at the JVC 4dd5.

Thanks Linda.

That Lafayette ebay auction looks like the way to go for me and my budget.
Although it currently is increasing in price.
What is do you think my max bid should be?

Also. I have a pioneer qx949. But I think my decoder is broken. Should I get it repaired or seek a Lafayette model?

ElGuapo, I don't know the cost of repairing your QX-949, but I would recommend an outboard decoder. The SQ circuitry within the QX-949 piece is rudimentary, so at the very least, any outboard decoder's performance would be equal to the quality of the Pioneer. Any decoder I mentioned would be a huge upgrade!

As to the Lafayette, I have no experience with recent pricing levels, or the possible degradation of it's components, especially capacitors, switches and potentiometer. Likely the $66 would be lower than the cost of repairing the QX-949. The other critical factor is how many SQ LP's do you own and/or intend to acquire? If it's a couple, it may not be cost effective to invest any additional $$ in SQ. BLASPHEMY!!

So, my final answer is a qualified YES to the Lafayette.

Here's to spectacular surround sessions!

Caveat emptor!

Thanks Linda.

That Lafayette ebay auction looks like the way to go for me and my budget.
Although it currently is increasing in price.
What is do you think my max bid should be?

Also. I have a pioneer qx949. But I think my decoder is broken. Should I get it repaired or seek a Lafayette model?

Back