What Kind Of Quadraphonic Vintage Receiver Do You Recommend

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonocrm

Hi. I´m New In This Forum. I Want To Buy A Quadraphonic Receiver But I Don´t Know What Kind Of Receiver I Would Choose. I Have Checked Out Some Receiver On E-bay, Marantz 4415, Sansui Qrx6400, Rotel Rx15a4 And Pionner Qx 9900. Wich Would You Recommend Me?? Do You Have Another Recommendations???

I Would Like To Receive Recommendatios For Speakers, Turntables And Equalizers To Create A Good Quadraphonic System (good Enough For A Standar Living Room).

Thanks A Lot For Your Help!!!!

Whew! Well, welcome to QQ. This is really subjective, but any of these Sansui QRX receivers would be fine (9001, 8001, 7001, 777, 999), along with the top of the line Marantz receivers with the SQ2A card. (The models with the scope are the coolest! :D)

I still swear by my Pioneer. Best bang for the buck. Lots of inputs for your outboard CD-4 and SQ decoders (No CD-4 and mediocre SQ/QS decoding onboard) pre-amp outputs for sound processors and just a really nice look to the units. For a starter unit or for someone on a budget, you can't beat the Pioneer. And it sounds pretty nice too!

Thanks for your answer about the receivers. I would like to know if you could help me with some doubts. I´m interested to buy a marantz quadraphonic receiver. At this momento there are 2 available on e-bay, model 4270 and 4415. the seller of 4415 told me the receiver will decode the quadraphonic vinyl, but the seller of 4270 told me that I need the sq decoder to play my quad vinyls. My questions are: All the marantz quad receiver needs the sq decoder or the SQA-2 marantz decoder?? Is there a quad receiver wich has the sq decoder integrated?? Thanks for your help. I´m new on this but I want to make the correct decision.
Another question: Could I get the quadraphonic sound using a new a/v receiver with 5.1 or 7.1 imputs (for example Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, etc) conected with an old sq decoder ??? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND TIME.!!!!

I have never owned a Marantz receiver, but I recall that the high end receivers had plug in modules so that if an improved decoder was produced, the owner could easily upgrade by simply changing a module. These receivers had plug in CD-4 and SQ modules. The latest and most improved SQ decoder was the SQA-2B (or something like that)

You can also hook up a Tate SQ decoder to a modern receiver through the receivers' 5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs.

As far as the best SQ decoder in a factory produced quad receiver, I would have to guess maybe the Lafayette receivers. Any one else?

ive had marantz 4400 with all 3 decoders - not good.

sansui qrx-xx500 series is fine and simple - nothing dynamic and few flaws - look great too.

i have a qrx9001 rebuilt by quadbob - pricey but flawless (kind of) - but the decoding and modification qbob performs will scare you with sounds coming out of the same old music youve always listened to - but not decoded through quadbobs modded qrx9001.

ive had a qrx9001 prior to qbobs rebuild - sounded good but the receiver is problematic - so avoid qrx 9001 and the qrx8001 - unless its been rebuilt by quadbob.

however - you can pick up the qrx6001 and 7001 for less than 200 dollars and they are less complicated than the 8 and 9001 - hence not so problematic - and quadbob knows more, but i think theyre decoding is an early generation for the qrx-x001 series - hence - not as good.

all quad receivers followed Sansui's lead and could never and did never ever catch up - sansui or youre wasting your money - and unless you have the right place to set up a good system with all 4 speakers pointed at the one single listening area for that room - youre still wasting your money.

what i mean is - when im listening to the sugarcubes through the oppo 970 dvd player through the quad synthesized decoder in the qrx9001 and am in my "listening chair" - you cannot imagine what a difference quad makes - however, when i get up to get another beer and walk around the room ...i have literally stopped and froze to focus my hearing on what sounds like a goofed up speaker - but what is really happening is that i am hearing what the receiver sent sonically to that one speaker - with quadbobs mods there is very little "ghosting" from speaker to speaker (what you hear out of one speaker you do not hear nearly at all from another speaker - kind of like that one track on led zeppelin 3 - hats off to roy harper - if you put all of the balance to the right - you get almost a jimmy paige acoustic song - put all the balance to the other channel and you almost get robert plant solo ) so if youre not going to have a sitting spot and are going to roam around the room - stick with the sansui qrx5500 - 6500 or 7500 - these are solid machines and have a natural separation that allows enough "ghosting " to keep the music sounding good throughout the room - thaTS WHAT I THINK - OH YEAH, AND IF AINT SANSUI THEN YOU GOT NOTHING.

WILLIAM A REID

Back