What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SERGIO-MENDES-BRASIL-77-Carnival-JAPAN-LIVE-Japan-Only-Issue-SQ-LP-w-OBI-/271093844314?hash=item3f1e73c95a

This one is the other SQ that I am aware of. I just can't afford to lay out that kind of money right now. Just ordered a crap load of SACD's again after some got cancelled at ImportCD's. Had to buy'em at full retail elsewhere,

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sergio-Mendes-Self-Titled-S-T-1975-Jazz-LP-VG-Quadaphonic-Quad-Vinyl-/370780749053?hash=item5654413cfd

This is the CD4 on Elektra. Either of these titles is more than I can lay out right now. Shipping has gotten atrocious in Canada and the US and the Canadian dollar has been through the laundry against the US dollar. I wouldn't mind the prices if they were in my local record shop, no shipping costs and currency exchange involved, only witty repartee with my dealer, um, er record dealer that is.:eek:

Haha!! I like the notion of your dealer, with SACDs squirrelled away in the inner linings of his trench coat as he sells you illicit goods in a back alley..! (I need a coffee..) :smokin

Thanks for the links, I'll hold off on them both for the minute since one is Live (I'll get it in time for sure but concentrating on studio Quads, primarily SQ, for now) and the other is a slightly scary (and currently totally useless to me) CD-4..!

Burton Cummings (SQ LP).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not a great mix. "Stand Tall" has too much echo on his voice, and the opening notes going back and forth furiously, are distracting. Musically, a fair album. Sonically, the stereo version was better.

Not a great mix. "Stand Tall" has too much echo on his voice, and the opening notes going back and forth furiously, are distracting. Musically, a fair album. Sonically, the stereo version was better.

Thank you for the feedback (tho I won't be able to try out the Quad until my SQ holiday next month!) :eek:

Bigbilllquad, could you please post a picture of the back cover and track listing for the Sergio Mendes?

images-1.jpeg
Carnival Live in Japan is one of my favorite Sergio Mendes albums. The music and performance are spectacular. The fidelity is good, although it is a live album, so the Quad mix is not much of one. I special ordered it in the 70's, and to my delight, I found it was Quad when it arrived! :banana:

Unknown.jpeg
Although I bought Sergio Mendes' Elektra debut when it dropped, I was less than impressed. A relatively nice mix, but IMHO, much of the material left a bit to be desired.

BTW: I've seen Mendes live and he would be in my Top 5 artists. I've also met and seen his former lead vocalist Lani Hall several times. Joe took me to see Hall and her husband, Herb Alpert, on our very first date! Believe it or not, he didn't even know that I loved them when he asked me out. Best first date I've ever had! Alpert would also be in my Top 5 artists.

Here's a collector's item from Hifi News And Record Review.

Take note......best price ever for a quad disc!

(Somehow the SQ transfer of this disc did not quite work out, the SQ QUAD mix is somewhat lacking for some reason.Compared to the actual Virgin and EMI/HARVEST discs this transfer sounds substandard in SQ matrix.)

20150830_200814.jpg20150830_200821.jpg20150830_200959.jpg20150830_201010.jpg20150830_205248.jpg20150830_201056.jpg20150830_200911.jpg20150830_200931.jpg

I just HAD to get the turntable going to try this one out (stereo only) vocals are echoey and recessed on Stand Tall (though unfair for me to assess in just 2 channels I totally see what you mean, it must be even worse decoded) but every other track sounded rather nice.. though I'm unfamiliar with the stereo, beyond an equally cursory playthrough online.. roll on next month! I'm gonna play the ass out of you Burton Cummings! :D
(Hang on, that sounded wrong... :eek: ...You know what I mean!)

Pink Floyd "Atom Heart Mother" SQ LP - German Pressing.

Even listening using DD Pro II Music it comes across a lot better as an album in surround than the stereo LP I had. I wonder if the 4-channel master tapes still exist?

I wonder if the 4-channel master tapes still exist?

Quad tapes for Atom Heart Mother could well be present and correct in the vaults.. we've had nice versions of the Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here Quads in those Immersion boxes.. and a number of EMI/Harvest & related Quads re-released in the digital age, so I'm hopeful..!

Hi. Quad Linda
There is only the song titles on the back, in the gate fold there is photos of the concert all writing is Japanese, I took some shot of the back page & the LP`S center cover
hope this helps. Yes this is a concert in Japan. For give my photos

Bigbilllquad, could you please post a picture of the back cover and track listing for the Sergio Mendes?

PIC  1.jpg
PIC  2.jpg
A.jpg
B.jpg

Hi. Quad Linda
There is only the song titles on the back, in the gate fold there is photos of the concert all writing is Japanese, I took some shot of the back page & the LP`S center cover

A 20 Pack of SQ? Wow.

Hi. Quad Linda

A 20 Pack of SQ? Wow.

Can't be Chesterfield Kings, they only come in packs of 19...

Hi. Quad Linda

View attachment 21248
View attachment 21249
View attachment 21250
View attachment 21251

Looks like there were 30 SQ PACK 20'S.

Any idea whom all the artists are pictured?

Among them you've got Santana, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel.. but the Pack 20 LP's of these I've found online are all Stereo only, so perhaps some of the titles depicted are SQ but I don't think all of them are SQ, sadly.

Back