What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to go OT, but...

2 questions: 1) what is a matrix cd? 2) how easy is it to find quad stuff in a record store? I looked briefly yesterday and found nothing. The curators didn't know if they had any quad or not and said it would just be mixed in with other LPs.

Sorry to go OT, but...

2 questions: 1) what is a matrix cd? 2) how easy is it to find quad stuff in a record store? I looked briefly yesterday and found nothing. The curators didn't know if they had any quad or not and said it would just be mixed in with other LPs.

Matrix cd's are reissues of "single inventory"quad encoded lps.No separate stereo and quad issue.....just quad encoded.
Check out the thread MATRIX QUAD CD.

It is not easy but not impossible to find quad records.You need to check out used record or thrift shops.They are not sold in regular stores, for the most part.There are a number of rare quad discs out there.
The most popular access to them is on line, bids, auctions, etc. And there are members on a thread who sell and trade on QQ.

image.jpg3_1.jpg
Here are some quads I found today. Are all quad LPs matrix?

The top three are all CD-4, or Quadradiscs. They need a demodulator and a phono cartridge capable of passing the carrier signal.

The bottom three are all SQ matrix. Wonderful SQ titles!

Ah. Still trying to wrap my head around SQ, QS, CD-4 (among the other surround formats). The SQ discs say they are stereo compatible, which is nice.
I'd much rather play them in quad though! I need some kind of do-hickey?
From all I've heard about CD-4, I'm not sure my budget can sustain the necessary equipment additions. Not right now anyway. Still, I figured it would be good to grab them and ask questions later.

You will no better than the Surround Master to play SQ and QS disc's if the price is high save up
and wait until you can don't wast your money on old stuff
If you buy any old decoders it is hit and miss if they are still working
and if not throw them away
As for CD4 maybe next year Involve may make a new and hopefully better one

Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live is a spectacular album. Great Quad mix. It's more of a jam album than Santana group albums of that era. Evil Ways might be better than the original studio version on the first Santana album, if that's possible. My only bitch is the gatefold cover in 2ch became a single sleeve in Quad, just like Azteca, Caravanserai & Santana III. An ESSENTIAL Quad.

I have this on SQ, Q8, and UK CD. Quad is definitely the way to listen to this gem.

"If you don't have it, that's why you need it." - Yogi Berra, RIP.

ALL Quad LP's are stereo compatible. A worn stylus or excessive tracking force could damage the carrier on a CD-4 LP. IMHO, I wouldn't want to play a 2ch or mono LP on that kind of gear, either. CD-4 stands for Compatible Discrete 4-channel. If you play an SQ record on a non-logic decoder, SQ stands for "Sort of Quadraphonic." :yikes

Ah. Still trying to wrap my head around SQ, QS, CD-4 (among the other surround formats). The SQ discs say they are stereo compatible, which is nice.
I'd much rather play them in quad though! I need some kind of do-hickey?
From all I've heard about CD-4, I'm not sure my budget can sustain the necessary equipment additions. Not right now anyway. Still, I figured it would be good to grab them and ask questions later.

Hi. All
A couple I forgot I don't now what this 45 is ( TRIO. EV OR QS ?? Quadrix Demo Record )-( CBS. SQ Philharmonia Wind Ensemble American March Meikyokushu )

View attachment 21825
Any body read Japanese.......

View attachment 21826
View attachment 21827

That first album looks interesting...Side 1 starts with a Narration. The 2nd track is "Sounds of Kyoto" with the bell of Tofukuji temple, a Buddhist mass at Nishi Honganji temple, the sound of a "Shishi-odoshi"...a traditional Japanese garden device made of bamboo that makes a gentle sound when water fills it up, and others...https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shishi-odoshi
The second side has 2 songs... "Shake, Rattle and Roll" and "Up Tight"

The second album is a collection of popular American Marches.

I hope this helps. :)

Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live is a spectacular album. Great Quad mix. It's more of a jam album than Santana group albums of that era. Evil Ways might be better than the original studio version on the first Santana album, if that's possible. My only bitch is the gatefold cover in 2ch became a single sleeve in Quad, just like Azteca, Caravanserai & Santana III. An ESSENTIAL Quad.

I have this on SQ, Q8, and UK CD. Quad is definitely the way to listen to this gem.

So true about the gatefold jackets!
I mean, we're payin' a DOLLAR MORE than the STEREO version!!! We should AT LEAST get the whole shabang!!!!..ESPECIALLLY Abraxas, III AND Caravanserai...!!!

Oh Linda, you just took my excitement levels and knocked them right out of the park! :p

ALL Quad LP's are stereo compatible. A worn stylus or excessive tracking force could damage the carrier on a CD-4 LP. IMHO, I wouldn't want to play a 2ch or mono LP on that kind of gear, either. CD-4 stands for Compatible Discrete 4-channel. If you play an SQ record on a non-logic decoder, SQ stands for "Sort of Quadraphonic." :yikes

Just to say.. the Involve Surround Master SQ Vinyl Unit is so far nothing short of revelatory. I doubt even the inventors of SQ could have believed their brainchild could be decoded so well.. Better late than never!? :eek:

I'm slowly getting everything hooked up again in the new hovel.. and I'm using SQ LPs of Quad mixes I know well in their discrete Q8/SACD/DTS CD incarnations to test out speaker placement etc.. my jaw is permanently on the floor at the results!!! :yikes

I'm going to compile a "Blow By Blow" of my Surround Master SQ experiences so far throughout my Quad holiday next month and post it all here @QQ "One Day Tomorrow" (hint hint..the SQ's of JB's Blow By Blow and Fredgar Winter's Jasmine Wetdreams are simply unbelievable thru the Surround Master!!!).

So true about the gatefold jackets!
I mean, we're payin' a DOLLAR MORE than the STEREO version!!! We should AT LEAST get the whole shabang!!!!..ESPECIALLLY Abraxas, III AND Caravanserai...!!!

True true.. It's some consolation for the lack of gatefold action that the Quad mixes inside are so frickin fab then innit..! :p

True true.. It's some consolation for the lack of gatefold action that the Quad mixes inside are so frickin fab then innit..! :p

I think they may be in the AF "pipeline"..

Yeah..I basically had to get ALL of the Santana STEREO LPs so I could get the REAL COVERS!!!! Although the Japanese SQ of Abraxas is way cooler than the STEREO USA one , it's printed on silver paper , instead of white paper...and you also get all of that funky japanese info on early SQ systems...AND the BIG (ugly) poster..

EDIT: The japanese SQ of III is also a gatefold!!!

I think they may be in the AF "pipeline"..

Hope so..! :upthumb

kap'n krunch said:
Yeah..I basically had to get ALL of the Santana STEREO LPs so I could get the REAL COVERS!!!! Although the Japanese SQ of Abraxas is way cooler than the STEREO USA one , it's printed on silver paper , instead of white paper...and you also get all of that funky japanese info on early SQ systems...AND the BIG (ugly) poster..

EDIT: The japanese SQ of III is also a gatefold!!!

Oh yes! The funky info! V.cool :smokin The Japanese SQ's I have so far are almost all gorgeous gatefold affairs (Isleys 3+3 wasn't gatefold, which surprised me..) the nicest thing about them is full front cover art.. no big gold border! :eek:

Hi. All
A bottle neck of LP`S came today ( EMI. SQ David Munrow The Art Of The Neitherlands Vol.2 & Vol.3 )-( EMI. SQ Respighi Ancient Airs and Dances )-( EMI. SQ Gabriel Pierne Introduction Et Variations )-(EMI. SQ ALittle night Music )-( CBS. SQ Beethhoven Stern Barenboim )-( CBS. SQ Boulez con. Falla The Three -Cornered Hat )-( CBS. SQ Boulez con. Bartok Concerto For Orchestra New York Philharmonic )-( CBS. SQ Pearl )-( CBS. SQ Miles Davis Live )-( CBS. SQ Santana Caravanserai )-( CBS. SQ Santana Abraxas )-( Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live ! )-( EPIC. SQ Polnareff`s )-( CBS. SQ Paul Simon There Goes Rhymin`Simon )
Bill...

View attachment 21795
View attachment 21796
View attachment 21797
View attachment 21798
View attachment 21799
View attachment 21800
View attachment 21801
View attachment 21802
View attachment 21803

Lovely stuff BBQ! :upthumb

What/Who is the "Polnareff's" disc? Is it SQ? Is it also a Japanese pressing?

Back