What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live is a spectacular album. Great Quad mix. It's more of a jam album than Santana group albums of that era. Evil Ways might be better than the original studio version on the first Santana album, if that's possible. My only bitch is the gatefold cover in 2ch became a single sleeve in Quad, just like Azteca, Caravanserai & Santana III. An ESSENTIAL Quad.

I have this on SQ, Q8, and UK CD. Quad is definitely the way to listen to this gem.

"If you don't have it, that's why you need it." - Yogi Berra, RIP.

Some Info I came across in the "comments" section after a review of this album on Amazon:
T. Fischer says:
I was Buddy's Equipment Manager, advance man, and emcee at the time, and the concert idea was formed by Buddy the previous November when he was living in Novato, California. I was there that afternoon when he called Carlos, who was living fairlly near in southern Marin County. Buddy invited him to a huge Thanksgiving feast at his house, and there the collaborative effort was cemented. Buddy wielded a lot of influence in the recording industry back then, being a favored artist with industry giant Clive Davis.

The festival was held in Diamond Head Crater on the grounds of the old Coast Guard facility. I still have my badge from the event that reads "Sunshine '72". There were three stages set up on the grounds: Folk, Rock, and Country Western if I recall correctly. Warner Brothers footed the bill for transportation and performance gratuities. They brought in a 16-track recording outfit, but power failures resulted in very little useable material other than crowd reaction. You can hear the same reactions rather badly dubbed into the mix of the later studio recreation that was recorded in L.A., California (I'm thinking the old Record Plant near La Cienega Blvd., where Buddy did most of his recording when with the Mercury lable).

The Buddy Miles/Carlos Santana set included Buddy on drums, Greg Errico (drummer for Sly and the Family Stone), Greg Rolie on organ, Carlos and Neal Schon on guitar, and Buddy's three horn players on respective horns, Coke Escovido, Mike Carrabello, and Chepito Areas on timbali and congas, Dave Brown on bass, and a few others whose names and performance credits escape me at the moment. Warner Bros. had planned to house the majority at a "luxury" plantation house on the North Shore near Haliewa which had no phone or electricity. This accomodation didn't hold well with Carlos and many others of the troupe, so they relocated to a high-rise hotel on the beach in Honolulu.

Before leaving, Carlos lit a 10' string of firecrackers and threw it into the rented Ford Station Wagon, which blew out one window and most of the headliner. Guess who had to take it back to the rental car company! I told the astonished desk clerk that it must have been an act of vandalism, and that is how I found it in the morning. Not sure how it all was sorted out, as WB was picking up the tab.

After the concert date I arranged for Buddy and his then-squeeze Denise, organist Bob Hogins and his wife, myself, and co-worker Richie to fly to Maui for a few days where we met up with Barry Hilton (Hilton Hotels) and sailed around the island in his 55', twin-mast schooner. We took over a small club in Lahaina one night where Buddy beat the crap out of the house band's drum kit in an impromptu jam. Very bad vibes afterward from the house band's much-peeved drummer, but otherwise a Great trip!

A couple of EV-4 discs.

One from the U.S. and the other from Australia.

Both are compilations and it always made me wonder why the parent company "Evolution Records"neglected to release complete discs of these featured artists? Lighthouse, had a string of hits on local radio, go figure.

20150925_200859.jpg20150925_200915.jpg20150925_200928.jpg20150925_200943.jpg20150925_201035.jpg20150925_201101.jpg20150925_201115.jpg20150925_201133.jpg20150925_201151.jpg

A couple of EV-4 discs.

One from the U.S. and the other from Australia.

Both are compilations and it always made me wonder why the parent company "Evolution Records"neglected to release complete discs of these featured artists? Lighthouse, had a string of hits on local radio, go figure.

View attachment 21846View attachment 21847View attachment 21848View attachment 21849View attachment 21850View attachment 21851View attachment 21852View attachment 21853View attachment 21854

With the exception of The Guess Who and BTO very few Canadian artists were released in Quad. Lighthouse was released on GRT a label that mainly distributed foreign records in the US and Canada, as well as producing records of Canadian artists. Doubt that they ever bothered to experiment with Quad. The compilations were done by specialty labels, probably mainly to help support Quad equipment. Too bad would love to hear more Lighthouse in Quad.
I Don't understand why popular Canadian artists the likes of Lighthouse, Five Man Electrical Band the Bells and many many others only have compilation CD's available. I do have a stereo CD of Lighthouse "One fine Morning" but it came from Japan!

With the exception of The Guess Who and BTO very few Canadian artists were released in Quad. Lighthouse was released on GRT a label that mainly distributed foreign records in the US and Canada, as well as producing records of Canadian artists. Doubt that they ever bothered to experiment with Quad. The compilations were done by specialty labels, probably mainly to help support Quad equipment. Too bad would love to hear more Lighthouse in Quad.
I Don't understand why popular Canadian artists the likes of Lighthouse, Five Man Electrical Band the Bells and many many others only have compilation CD's available. I do have a stereo CD of Lighthouse "One fine Morning" but it came from Japan!

Yes I agree, but Evolution Records are not a specialty label.I have seen records (U.S) released by Lighthouse on this label.GRT in Canada I believe.

Other notable Canuck Quads; Joni Mitchell , Paul Anka, Buffy Saint Marie and Ian & Sylvia (one song) and Gordon Lightfoot.Just off the top of my head.

Hi. All
More LP`S came today ( King. QS Raymond Lefevre Live at Shibuya Kokaido / April 12,16. 1972 )-( Project3. QS Big Hits Of The 20`s )-( The Longines Symphonett Society. QS Enchanted Island )-( EMI. SQ GreenLeeves To a Ground David Munrow Recorder )-( CBS. SQ Vivaldi The Four Seasons ).
Bill...

Q  4.jpg
Q  2.jpg
Q  3.jpg

The American edition of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.I ordered this disc from "Sound Concepts" in Peoria.Shortly after I noticed the Canadian edition was released.
My American copy came in a strange dark blue/black shrinkwrap, with a quad sticker.
The Canadian edition had clear shrinkwrap, with SQ quad indicated on the robot hand circle sticker, and now I'd wish I bought it as well as I believe it is somewhat rare.

20150925_201431.jpg20150925_201508.jpg

And a disc Vanguard was to release in Quad, but did not happen (stereo only)
Maybe Audio Fidelity can rectify this problem.

20150925_201248.jpg

Almost at the end of my ABC/Impulse/Command quad LP collecting; super happy to find this after searching for a while. Michael White's Magic Music Company 'Go With The Flow'

A striking album full of joyous, collective noise making. Loose, sweet vibes are plentiful and come at you discretely from all corners. This has musical notes of Zappa, Airto, Azteca, Bob James, Archie Shepp and a thousand other nice references that make the transition into Friday even that much more easier. It ups the violin/viola to have it sit right up front here and there, really elegant grooves all the way. Special mention goes to the pressing; even though all I could get is a horribly expensive but decent VG+, this thing has great sonics, my advice is to keep on cranking to really let the full details emerge. Crisp highs, honey smooth mids and fat bass make the easy going mix sing beautifully. It's really very good.

FullSizeRender-2 (1).jpgFullSizeRender-3 (1).jpgFullSizeRender-4 (1).jpgFullSizeRender-5 (1).jpgFullSizeRender-6 (1).jpg

Brass Fever, also one of my final ABC/Impulse/Command quads. This sounds so very low end CTI; the mix, instruments and overall feel are exactly the same to my ears. A variety of good players on offer here, notable standouts include Lee Ritenour and Sonny Burke. Nice sonics with a discrete in the middle of the studio feel to the quad mix. Minor gripes about the material, it's a bit average considering how good the lineup is playing it. Side B has more to offer and feels less generic. But for around $5 in good condition you could do worse.

View attachment 21935View attachment 21936View attachment 21937View attachment 21938

Last edited:
Again, one of the last but by no means the least of these ABC/Impulse/Command quads. Archie Shepp 'Kwanza' QS LP.

Although the release date is 1974, this is from a recording made in 1969 so it's that really nice blend of mid 70's quad mixing but the music is most definitely Free Jazz. Sonics are rich and defined here throughout; any limitations of the original recording aside - which are few, it just has that 60s feel to it. It's hypnotic and engaging, with bass and drums locking in to some fine grooves that allow all the brass to riff fluidly along the banks of the rolling piano. Beautiful sleeve design too; this is an absolute must for late 60's Shepp fans, his avant garde chops are super strong here. Chanting, scat-style vocal riffing, off kilter rhythms and just generally bone-deep badassery all click together here.

View attachment 21940View attachment 21941View attachment 21942View attachment 21943View attachment 21944

Last edited:
Almost at the end of my ABC/Impulse/Command quad LP collecting; super happy to find this after searching for a while. Michael White's Magic Music Company 'Go With The Flow'

A striking album full of joyous, collective noise making. Loose, sweet vibes are plentiful and come at you discretely from all corners. This has musical notes of Zappa, Airto, Azteca, Bob James, Archie Shepp and a thousand other nice references that make the transition into Friday even that much more easier. It ups the violin/viola to have it sit right up front here and there, really elegant grooves all the way. Special mention goes to the pressing; even though all I could get is a horribly expensive but decent VG+, this thing has great sonics, my advice is to keep on cranking to really let the full details emerge. Crisp highs, honey smooth mids and fat bass make the easy going mix sing beautifully. It's really very good.

Was that a single-inventory release? I have a copy somewhere and remember liking it. I had no quad capability at the time and didn't notice the label.

Was that a single-inventory release? I have a copy somewhere and remember liking it. I had no quad capability at the time and didn't notice the label.

I'd be amazed if it wasn't single inventory; I'll defer to others with more longer memories and archives but I'd reckon it was. Give it a whirl! It's pretty good.

Impulse titles are single inventory QS.

ABC Quads are dual inventory and called "Command Quadraphonic."

View attachment 21951

Also in the ABC RECORDS "SINGLE INVENTORY"QUAD releases are the QS quad releases on the sub-labels of ABC, such as;

BLUESWAY

BLUE THUMB

ABC AUDIO TREASURY

and ABC DUNHILL discs from John Lee Hooker and B.B.King

I just love that they chose single inventory quad as the QS matrix survives even today for reissues and CDS.
Only if they remaster from the multitracks, do you lose the quad.And this is thankfully a very rare occurrence.

Back