What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The vinyl used for most Atlantic CD-4's was poor quality, so it's my guess the entire run of the Roberta Flack title are noisy and distorted. My copy was bought when it first came out, and it never sounded good. I tried to exchange it, but the store wouldn't do it.

Well.. you know.. the more I hear and read about the CD-4 format, the more inclined I am to just forget about it altogether.

I don't think my frayed nerves could stand it right now anyway.. so it would have to be something for next year or whenever I'm on the valium... :rolleyes:

..plus I feel like maybe I should quit while I'm ahead..
we've got the most wonderful SQ and QS decoding money can buy..
it seems too good to be true but I've seemingly jumped on board with SQ and QS Quadraphonic records just as the technology to properly decode these old records on the fly has finally matured (40 years late to the SQ party maybe but at least Involve turned up to the Quad party in the end and what an entrance they have made!).. that Surround Master SQ Vinyl unit lives up to every thing it's billed as, it's =

A Master
at extracting
Surround
from
SQ Vinyl

Simple as that.
I love it.

Hey Fred, don't give up on CD4, just let it wait on the back burner. Maybe Chucky will have a modern solution for it. For now, just get settled into your new digs and enjoy what you have already amassed. I don't have the digital collection you have, but my quad LP's are growing all the time and I have to remind myself constantly to enjoy what I have rather than coveting what isn't mine... yet. I tried a number of expensive ways to make CD4 work, and am poorer for it, but I have a system that works on most discs and am happy for now. Besides, if you wait for CD4, that will give me a chance to get more of what I want!:p Let me know when you grow tired of SQ and QS so I can resume my collecting, lol.

Hey Fred, don't give up on CD4, just let it wait on the back burner. Maybe Chucky will have a modern solution for it. For now, just get settled into your new digs and enjoy what you have already amassed. I don't have the digital collection you have, but my quad LP's are growing all the time and I have to remind myself constantly to enjoy what I have rather than coveting what isn't mine... yet. I tried a number of expensive ways to make CD4 work, and am poorer for it, but I have a system that works on most discs and am happy for now. Besides, if you wait for CD4, that will give me a chance to get more of what I want!:p Let me know when you grow tired of SQ and QS so I can resume my collecting, lol.

Oh I could just give you a big ol' bear hug..!!! GRRRR..!!! :p

I'll definitely take your advice and sit CD-4 out til Chucky and David and the rest of the Involve boys that are, err, involved, have cast their voodoo spell on it like they did with SQ..! :D

oh the new digs.. God.. that's why my nerves are jangled! the whole thing went tits up and I ended up staying in the same building (it's complicated) but moved three floors down from my beloved treetop studio (of the last 17 years.. with access to the roof terrace where we could have a fag and a beer and a barbie - weather permitting!) doowwwn to the basement which has a tiny yard and is a darkened hole by comparison, more akin to a wartime bunker!

ah well.. movies are gonna be better down there in the dark with my old projector fired up.. :eek: ..and I can now make as much racket as I like as we got no neighbours either side and no-one above when we're both home (new place is below a shop now) so every shitty cloud has a silver lining and all that eh..! :eek:

oh and Edit: you just know I'm gonna keep going with the SQ and QS thing now till I'm done with them all.. I'm on a roll, with a spring! a spring roll.. with dipping sauce! yum! yum! dim sum gimme sum! supper time! peace and love to you all and bone happy tit..! (n) :phones (y)

The vinyl used for most Atlantic CD-4's was poor quality, so it's my guess the entire run of the Roberta Flack title are noisy and distorted. My copy was bought when it first came out, and it never sounded good. I tried to exchange it, but the store wouldn't do it.

I guess I will give up on that particular one. But having secured a bunch recently, I have to say the Joni's both sound really good and the Jefferson Airplane Volunteers is to my ears the best pressing (compared to a first issue stereo, several box sets etc) I've heard. The Flack was a Flack-attack of pops and full on scraping noises. Horrendous! I'd built it up too. Me and my partner like to have a Friday party where we play tracks in turn whilst having some lovely booze. I stepped up with that thinking It was gonna be stellar...then the scrapping and popping began!

Just remember that nothing will make a bad pressing sound good. The CD-4's from Japan sound great, but they use a vinyl formulation that was never available in the US. It's a good format when it works, but it rarely does with American pressings. I don't know how the European CD-4's were; I don't think there were too many of them.

While it is true that a bad pressing will never sound good, with CD4, it seems system dependent. I can play my Cat Steven's Greatest Hits without too much trouble, but my Barry Manilow II and my Japanese Art Blakey on JVC sound horrible. I have worn CD4's that play as well or better than they look and VG+ or better ones that have noises I don't like. My experiences have been much better with strain gauge cartridges over magnetic. My results with magnetic carts was all over the place and not consistent at all. US CD4's are all over the quality map. Japanese ones are consistently good. The few European ones I have found seem to be on par with the better US ones. I have a Taiwanese CD4 that I really like and it is a bit noisy, but not too bad. I would like to find the Japanese version but haven't figured out what it is. It isn't in the quad discography.

While it is true that a bad pressing will never sound good, with CD4, it seems system dependent. I can play my Cat Steven's Greatest Hits without too much trouble, but my Barry Manilow II and my Japanese Art Blakey on JVC sound horrible. I have worn CD4's that play as well or better than they look and VG+ or better ones that have noises I don't like. My experiences have been much better with strain gauge cartridges over magnetic. My results with magnetic carts was all over the place and not consistent at all. US CD4's are all over the quality map. Japanese ones are consistently good. The few European ones I have found seem to be on par with the better US ones. I have a Taiwanese CD4 that I really like and it is a bit noisy, but not too bad. I would like to find the Japanese version but haven't figured out what it is. It isn't in the quad discography.

Funny you mention the Taiwanese CD-4's; when I was in the service, we used to get these Taiwanese-pressed records, generally on colored vinyl, for something like 35 cents each. They were of American albums, clearly bootleg, and aimed at the military market. They were good for, maybe, 3 plays before they deteriorated badly. If you taped it on the first play, you were fine. But the wear factor was present with even the best, lightest-tracking turntable and cartridge. I had a Dual 1019 back then with a Shure cartridge, tracking at about 1 1/2 grams. This was before just before quad hit the market, so the records were just stereo. I would think that if they were using the same poor vinyl for the CD-4's, maybe one or two playings would be possible before the carrier eroded to unusual levels.

Mine actually is pretty decent. It is on red vinyl and doesn't seem to be a bootleg. The carrier is steady and it had some wear before I got it from a German ePay seller. It is of big band music like Glenn Miller. I may buy more to see if they are consistent. All I get is the odd ticks rather that distortion.

I think of late my LP`S have been held back at custumes ??? ( CBS. SQ Byrdmaniax )-( CBS. SQ A century of American Marches )-( CBS. SQ Dynamic Band Concert Vo.1 )-( CBS. SQ (Saori Minami )-( Columbia. QX The Sound Of Spain '101 Strings' )-(EMI. SQ David Munrow The art Of The Netherlands Vol.1 ).
Bill...

SQ 1.jpg
SQ 2.jpg
SQ 3.jpg
SQ 4.jpg
QX 1.jpg
QX 2.jpg
QX 3.jpg
QX 4.jpg
SQ 5.jpg

Here's a QS disc that every quad collector should have.
Got mine from a quadraphile that got his hands on a WHOLE mess of 'em from Koss.

Still shows up from time to time on ebay or related sites.

The CRUSADERS tracks come from two different albums btw.

20151002_191748.jpg20151002_191813.jpg20151002_191901.jpg

Here's a QS disc that every quad collector should have.
Got mine from a quadraphile that got his hands on a WHOLE mess of 'em from Koss.

Still shows up from time to time on ebay or related sites.

The CRUSADERS tracks come from two different albums btw.

I think I remember speaking with "that guy" in the '80s. He bought the entire stock of those LPs directly from KOSS

Fizzywiggs, could I ask how you got it and is that avenue open to the rest of us? I wouldn't mind a copy myself. Thanks.

Sorry quadsearcher & C V ,

But like Jon Urban said "back in the 80's" so even if he was still around I don't know if he would have any left, not to also mention I don't know if he is a QQ member, let alone I can't remember his name........it was afterall a long time ago.

Now having said that I do not know if any copy maestros are permitted......but if......I will borrow and a PM would be order.

Everyone should enjoy what is no longer available, that being said,I know we have a lot of industry insiders (mix masters) who make their living on quality mixes and we should all respect that.I do indeed always prefer and support financially all the product that they do a great/fantastic job to bring to our quadraphile-surroundphile palate.
All the official real editions, being supplied are preferred and everyone on QQ have an obligation to support their hard work, their livelihood depends on our purchase afterall.

Back