What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Weller - Studio 150 - SACD
George Benson - Breezin' - DVD-A - I have the SACD, but got this for the xtra tracks.. :eek::D

"Down Here On The Ground" is the best thing on Breezin' from a 5.1 perspective imo :upthumb

(Studio 150's great, quite an active mix)

Yeah - Just listening to "Down here on the ground" - Fantastic...

And I'd heard Studio 150 and liked it, so tracked down a copy...(y)

image.jpg

It's been a while but I remember this one being pretty good.. have you given it a spin yet?

Yes, it's terrific!

Actually, I stumbled upon this one in the heavy metal section of a local music shop here. I really didn't know what to expect. I just saw it was a DVD-A and only $10! When I got home and played it, I was blown away. I couldn't believe this flamenco guitarist was the same S.Stevens from Billy Idol and M.Jackson, etc... It's more a Flamenco/Prog Rock fusion thing, but I like the music. And the surround mix is fun...lots of discrete parts happening in the surrounds.

I know I can get this on SACD but I'm just more of a DVD-Audio guy. Plus I want to be able to play it in my car.

41DT7YzBITL.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Experimental works for 2 medium sized ensembles consisting of violin, viola, cello, oboe, clarinet, flute, horn, various percussion, and synthesizer. The music is very abstract and a bit eerie on first listening, but not overly dark or severe.

In discrete 5.1 surround sound, the 2 ensembles are separated very nicely with one group in the front speakers and the other in the rear speakers. This allows for some fascinating interplay and mirroring effects that gives this dense music a playful quality that is appealing. The vivid recording has a natural ambience which provides the instruments with enough air. The synthesizer and electronics are blended in very well to the overall sound.

musikFabrik and conductor Pierre-André Valade are well versed in this kind of contemporary music and give a superb, lively performance.

Here's a text from Wergo's website:

"The unusual musical and spatial arrangement of Valerio Sannicandros composition "Ius Lucis" for two ensembles playing in separate rooms sets a double perspective at the centre of its construction.
Two chamber ensembles with different instruments simultaneously perform the palindromic (mirror-like) total score in two separate rooms, and the audience switches from one room to the other after the piece has been played in each. In addition to the playing of the live instrumentalists, the live-electronically processed result of their performance is also made audible.
In both “perspectives” achieved by the spatially separate performances, the music produces a completely different effect, though the loudspeakers repeatedly emit familiar snatches, which then disappear again. This recording of ZKM | Institute for Music and Acoustics represents the distinct spatial arrangement of the musicians and the live-electronic processes through a differentiated stereo and 5.1 panorama."

And a short video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1DYcAAxVUFU

YEAY! :wave

Is this your first Aznavour SACD? I love these discs! (I'm not surprised they fetch an arm and a leg now, they're worth it!)

Yep its my first...

10 bucks thats a fiver for you...:yikes

Back