What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image (1).jpg

I bought it more for Valse Triste and Karelia. The Intermezzo is at an interesting pace.

I enjoy the surround mix fwiw.. not as much as the Hourglass M/Ch (which was by Filipetti rather than the others incl JT remixed by Kunkel iirc) oh and sounds really great too imho. Interested to see how you get on with it :)

I love the way it's mixed...the content isn't as strong as some of his other titles...but glad I grabbed it...

I love the way it's mixed...the content isn't as strong as some of his other titles...but glad I grabbed it...

He did the two Billy Joel 5.1 SACDs too and the best mixed stuff on Five For Fighting America Town SACD.. I like his style and wish there were more examples of his surround music mixing, if you or anyone else here knows of more mixes by Frank Filipetti could you please let the forums know about them? Thank you!

Also Clint, how you getting on with Boys & Girls?
(wish I could convince you to get Frantic.. :eek: )

I like it..but I can now see why some people call it Avalon II....it's sounds the same..by that I mean the songs are in the same vein as Avalon...structured the same way....I still prefer Avalon but the resemblance is there...I passed on Frantic and unless there is a great deal out there that ship has sailed...but I always say...NEVER SAY NEVER..if you see a great deal PM me and I'll take a shot...I could have grabbed one for $55 recently...but passed...which is a pretty good price now...

I like it..but I can now see why some people call it Avalon II....it's sounds the same..by that I mean the songs are in the same vein as Avalon...structured the same way....I still prefer Avalon but the resemblance is there...I passed on Frantic and unless there is a great deal out there that ship has sailed...but I always say...NEVER SAY NEVER..if you see a great deal PM me and I'll take a shot...I could have grabbed one for $55 recently...but passed...which is a pretty good price now...

I'll keep my four ears to the ground if you keep your pedal to the metal..! :D

He did the two Billy Joel 5.1 SACDs too and the best mixed stuff on Five For Fighting America Town SACD.. I like his style and wish there were more examples of his surround music mixing, if you or anyone else here knows of more mixes by Frank Filipetti could you please let the forums know about them? Thank you!

Some people are put off by an active center channel...not me...they claim it's like 2 different songs going on at once...that's a complaint I have heard on some of the Billy Joel titles...I don't feel that way...I like the separation..and in that mix(JT MIX) it's ideal for me...just enough separation for the center channel..

I bet it will be in your player a lot, fantastic sound and music :51banana:

I like it a lot...and like I mentioned to Adam...it's like an extension of Avalon..but I won't play it a lot...I'm lucky if I play Avalon once a month...I've been forcing myself to listen to it more(Avalon)...it's strange...but once I get the primo discs I tend to just start looking for the next one...it seems "the chase" is more important than the "capture"...once I know I have it I sort of relax and play it when I'm in the mood...

I like it a lot...and like I mentioned to Adam...it's like an extension of Avalon..but I won't play it a lot...I'm lucky if I play Avalon once a month...I've been forcing myself to listen to it more(Avalon)...it's strange...but once I get the primo discs I tend to just start looking for the next one...it seems "the chase" is more important than the "capture"...once I know I have it I sort of relax and play it when I'm in the mood...

I'm that way with most any new music...I may hit it a few times right after purchase...then it goes away and I await the next thrill. lol

Sounds familiar :spot. I do play those discs a lot though, they just sound too good not to play them.

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
Elton John - Madman Across the Water
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here

The first 2 are long overdue purchases. Listening to The Nightfly really takes me back to my youth. I had that on record, and I remember vaguely the cool video for New Frontier :). Madman Across The Water - not my favourite EJ album. I find the fake American accent a bit grating on a couple of songs. Also I prefer the longer version of the title track on Tumbleweed Connection. The 5.1 is superb though, and I just love Tiny Dancer. As I've said before on this site, I can't listen to that song without thinking of the excellent Almost Famous film!

The first 2 are long overdue purchases. Listening to The Nightfly really takes me back to my youth. I had that on record, and I remember vaguely the cool video for New Frontier :). Madman Across The Water - not my favourite EJ album. I find the fake American accent a bit grating on a couple of songs. Also I prefer the longer version of the title track on Tumbleweed Connection. The 5.1 is superb though, and I just love Tiny Dancer. As I've said before on this site, I can't listen to that song without thinking of the excellent Almost Famous film!

I really love Nightfly...I don't think it gets enough credit...

Some people are put off by an active center channel...not me...they claim it's like 2 different songs going on at once...that's a complaint I have heard on some of the Billy Joel titles...I don't feel that way...I like the separation..and in that mix(JT MIX) it's ideal for me...just enough separation for the center channel..

The BJ 5.1 complainants may not have their gear setup properly.. the centre should be seamless in a properly calibrated system imho.. unless the mix is duff.. the BJ's, like the EJ's, have very active centre channels as you say but if it stands out too much and isn't balanced with front L&R., then their channel levels & distance settings must be off
(case in point the screwed up 5.1 of Bowie's Station To Station, which has tons of lovely discrete info in the centre that's sadly drowned out by the stupidly boosted Front pair.. check it out!) oh I dunno.. I love these discs.. if I have one complaint it's that I wish they'd done ALL of Billy's back catalogue in surround (and I don't even care for him that much, I'm an EJ the DJ man as you all know, thru and thru..!)

Trivial Pursuit Time..!

What links Track 4 of The Nightfly with Track 1 of the Madman Across The Water album?

Back