What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now have heard Monday Morning in Surround :) as I picked up the Acura (2008?) Demo Disc - DVD-A

After a very long wait, I finally received my Multichannel SACD of "The Stranger" (by Billy Joel) along with my DV order of the Main Ingredient and Tower of Power SACDs.
I played most of the Main Ingredient SACD, and I am thoroughly impressed. I feel a '9' coming on for that one.

:)

After a very long wait, I finally received my Multichannel SACD of "The Stranger" (by Billy Joel) along with my DV order of the Main Ingredient and Tower of Power SACDs.
I played most of the Main Ingredient SACD, and I am thoroughly impressed. I feel a '9' coming on for that one.

:)

Congrats! I have to get The Main Ingredient too, as I was so impressed with ToP.

Last edited:
In the mailbox today! I'd say that was pretty damn quick considering I didn't spend more for the tracking option. :) 9 days!!!

C6CCF4E7-2B85-4A79-BD1B-2513172501AC.jpg

From CDjapan?

Blue Oyster Cult - Secret treatis
Elton John - Tumbleweed connection
Elton John -Madman across the water

My impression of the BOC-disc is mixed.
As the guitars are mainly coming from the back speakers in the surround track, i get more punch from them from the stereo track.
If i would have similar back speakers as in front this would not be the case i guess.
But it is also an completely different sound comparing the two versions so i am not really certain about it.
It is almost like listening to two different records.
All in all i am satisfied as i will have an interesting time with my exploring of this band which i am not so familiar with.

The two Elton John discs are just stunning in quality!
After buying the first one of his i understood that there would be other ones that would be good.

Blue Oyster Cult - Secret treatis
Elton John - Tumbleweed connection
Elton John -Madman across the water

My impression of the BOC-disc is mixed.
As the guitars are mainly coming from the back speakers in the surround track, i get more punch from them from the stereo track.
If i would have similar back speakers as in front this would not be the case i guess.

So really important parts, in general, should not come exclusively from the rear channels. There are exception, of course. I have the BOC SACD and like it a lot - but the legacy quad mix does indeed sound a little artificial. That being said...

IMO you are on the mark. Matched, full-range speakers are an essential (at least on my book) for surround music. Many movies just put merely sound FX and "ambience" in the rear channels. Great surround mixes put really important content in the rears and having full-range rear-channels that match your front/center is really important for a good surround experience with music. In this case, it makes a big difference. The instrumentation may be a bit misplaced, but it is well-balanced - as long as your monitors are well-balanced.

So next time you upgrade your fronts...don't sell them off. "Demote" them to your rears and listen to what happens.

The smartest things I ever did audio-wise were to
A) Recognize that my fronts were really good
B) Realize that my fronts were discontinued
C) Go to E-Bay and other channels and find lightly-used version of the SAME speakers for TONS less than I paid originally - and buy more if them. I even have spares.

Oh - and the mix for "Madman..." is one of my faves. All of the Elton John surround mixes are absolutely outstanding. I have four and can't complain about any of them.

So really important parts, in general, should not come exclusively from the rear channels. There are exception, of course. I have this SACD and like it a lot - but the legacy quad mix does indeed sound a little artificial. That being said...

IMO you are on the mark. Matched, full-range speakers are an essential (at least on my book) for surround music. Many movies just put sound FX and "" in the rear channels. Great surround mixes put really important content in the rears and having full-range rear-channels that match your front/center is really important with a good surround mix. And in this case, it makes a big difference. The instrumentation may be a bit misplaced, but it is well-balanced - as long as your monitors are well-balances.

So next time you upgrade your fronts...don't sell them off. "Demote" them to your rears and listen to what happens.

And...that is exactly what I did. It was a revelation for sure.

I'm a big fan of Oscar Peterson having been immersed in his music as a child by my father. What is the surround mix like?

not tried it yet Duncan and not sure when I will be able to but it's not a new one at all being an old Telarc release so there'll probably have been some mention of it somewhere @QQ in the past I imagine. I'll have a snoop round and if I find anything I'll be right back :D

Back