What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. All

Another Q8 cartridge came today.

( WB.Q8 L9B 2694 -The Doobie Brothers The Captain & Me )-

Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

And Q8 covers too. Steelydave has been working hard for quite some time trying to add as many as possible. I for one appreciate everyone's efforts.

I won these bad boys yesterday. Put in a hail Mary bid and hoped for the best as I'd be on the road taking my brother home. Was watching some other tapes that ended at 8:00pm but rolled in at 8:02. Oh well. Kinda paid dearly for these guys. Curious to see if the sound is any better than their earlier orange-shelled counterparts. :music

eagles1.jpgeagles2.jpg

I won these bad boys yesterday. Put in a hail Mary bid and hoped for the best as I'd be on the road taking my brother home. Was watching some other tapes that ended at 8:00pm but rolled in at 8:02. Oh well. Kinda paid dearly for these guys. Curious to see if the sound is any better than their earlier orange-shelled counterparts. :music

View attachment 29852View attachment 29853

I think they will sound better than the orange ones, as I recall. I have the purple "One of These Nights" and it's a great sounding Q8. Back when I was ebay gathering, I bid on the purple "On The Border" a few times but always got sniped.

Good job.

View attachment 29852View attachment 29853
From memory I think these purple carts have less hiss than the orange ones.

Since I am on a project to transfer my tapes to digital files I am servicing the tape decks to get them in peak condition. To do that I have been looking and founds some alignment tapes. The CD is certainly not a tape, but it will be used to check the recording functions.

Attachments

• Teac Calibration & Alignment Tape, YTT-1003, FT.jpg
    Teac Calibration & Alignment Tape, YTT-1003, FT.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Teac Calibration & Alignment Tape, YTT-1003.jpg
    Teac Calibration & Alignment Tape, YTT-1003.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Teac Calibration & Alignment Tape, YTT-1003.pdf
    31.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Gennlab Standard Alignment Disk.jpg
    Gennlab Standard Alignment Disk.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 171
  • GennLab Standard Alignment Disk.pdf
    76.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Nortronics R-R Alignment Tape, AT120, FT.jpg
    Nortronics R-R Alignment Tape, AT120, FT.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Nortronics R-R Alignment Tape, AT120.jpg
    Nortronics R-R Alignment Tape, AT120.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 171
  • Manual, Nortronics R-R Alignment Tape, AT120.compressed.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Truly, The Sherlock Holmes of QUAD.

Adam, when are you going to share your sonic impressions of your new found format?

And where do you find these ancient relics?:yikes

not had a lot of time to play around with it all tbh Ralph but so far, so good.. seems the decks running a bit fast (approx -4% comparing the few things I've got on CD-4/SQ already sounds like its about there) but sounding ok generally so just been tweaking channel balances a bit and trying to resolve the speed with the help of a friend who's ears I'd trust with my life! :D

oh just the usual places, online, eBay, Discogs.. though I may have to raid the piggy bank to get some of the stuff I really want on the format unless I really get mega lucky! :yikes

one thing to add, is I am astounded at the speed stability, much better than I ever had out of my old Akai CR-81D, I don't know why that might be (Qn for QQ Q8 experts; is the motor more powerful or more finely tuned in the Quad model?) but really apart from the expected hassle of every tape breaking at the sensing foil and the pressure pads turning to mush oh and one tape being unplayable since it wound itself too tight on the hub.. its lovely to hear truly discrete surround sound from one of the old Quad formats after a couple of years sodding about with Quad from vinyl (and all that entails!).. to be continued... ;)

Back